VideographerSearch.com???

prosheditor

OB for Outside Broadcast.
Thanks for clarifying that but I sincerely hope you did not take my obstetrics comment seriously. Admittedly, I had not heard that term until the mid 90's and wasn't clear as to its meaning until the late 90's. I've always heard and myself referred to tv trucks as the truck, live truck, remote truck, SAT truck (with production spaces), expando, etc.. I have a custom built production trailer for multi-camera event work but call it a truck.

. . . The warm bodies thing is a direct result of producers who think the camera is more important than the person holding it. They think with the right camera anyone can shoot. That combined with cheap post production they just want someone to hose down an event and it can be fixed up in post. . . .

. . . With more coming up with a low rate "reality" model as a background they think there is only one way to make TV... Badly.
That describes most of Mtv's content along with a few other networks' cookie cutter shows.

paulisphotoman

I might be wrong about the right definitions, but what I've seen in:
-Videographers are most commonly known for weddings, why don't know (??), they just are
also used in smaller markets who also do everything include producing/editing
-Photographers are mainly for news, both video and stills.
-Directors of Photography mostly light with Gaffers and direct where the camera will go, rehearse each shot while being lit. He does not operate during filming (union reg)
-Cinematographers light and operate, so they do operate the camera, although this is for non-union or indy shoots
-Cameraman; with sticks/shoulder cams at live events, sports, etc....mainly responsible for framing, focus...
Photojournalist; Reporter who shoots (doens't care about anything but getting the story)....
this is NOT in most cases, but I have talked to many

Had an old boss hated the word " shooter ".....

Run&Gun

There are some DP's that operate, as well, and I don't think there are any union rules to preclude them from operating.

The DP term is thrown around fast, loose and a LOT. Most people that call themselves a DP nowadays aren't. A lot of times, we're even called DP's by others even when we don't asked to be. What a lot of us do is more akin to cinematographer, than a true DP. I personally only know a few people that are in the realm of what I would consider true DP's.

Most "live" guys would be considered camera ops(operators).

I disagree with your definition of photojournalist, too. Although there are a lot of those that consider themselves photojournalists on the video side, I think of them more on the still photog side, but there are some damn fine photojournalists on the TV side, too. But a reporter with a camera, does not necessarily a photojournalist make. Or something like that… ;)

Robin

so true.. DP comes from DOP.. directer of photography .. this is not a guy straight out of art school with a 5D and one LED light.. or is it a guy running and gunning with an EX3 .. Im certainly not a DOP.. this is drama,commercials etc.. where the photography is directed .. its lit.. its planned .. mostly there is a big budget and a lot of responsibility on the line .. the way everyone is a DP now is wrong.. and the way people refers to 'Im shooting a feature film" only to learn its a student with a C100.. come on.. feature film means something.. Im not a gear snob and I'm not a DOP shooting feature films.. but lets remember what these terms actually mean.. its totally ridiculous to have young guys with a iPhone and a torch calling themselves DP,s and that they are shooting their first "feature film" maybe they will and all power to them.. but not your grad film..

Just my 2 cents here but a photo journalist should be the opposite of what run and gun lists it is a photographer who tells stories or reports. The difference is that the story is driven by the images not the other way around. Think of a really good photo essay in a magazine where you can tell the story without reading the words or a good package where it wouldn't matter if you spoke the language. Unfortunately it is a dyeing art form and many just don't get it.

As for DP I am in the same camp as Robin I have been known to DP in the true sense and call myself one from time to time because it seems to have become expected from a lot of upper level clients. The truth is it is a horrible term, I personally prefer lighting cameraman because it is a true representation of what many of us are and what we do in the upper end of the freelance broadcast world.

I think the mistake comes from film students who want to feel important and the creep factor from producers that get sold on the need to have a dp because nobody else is creative etc... I remember not too many years ago when we saw this same thing with "cinematographers".

If you really want to get me going tell me about your 20 year old gaffer.

BluesCam

I see the term "lighting cameraman" a lot.

Anyway, I guess nobody knows anything about Videographersearch.com...

Videographer Search Website

So I'm suspicious because I choose the wrong name for my website. I blame my brother. He came up with that name. The idea is to promote production companies using their demo reels as the main focus in the results page. It's just an experiment now. Maybe it can become something of value. Your comments are appreciated.

cameragod

Hi Guy welcome to b-roll. As you can tell what we call ourselves is a bone of contention. Its good to see you here though and I hope your website works out for you... Just I wouldn't let your brother name anything else :)

BluesCam

There are some DP's that operate, as well, and I don't think there are any union rules to preclude them from operating.

The DP term is thrown around fast, loose and a LOT. Most people that call themselves a DP nowadays aren't. A lot of times, we're even called DP's by others even when we don't asked to be. What a lot of us do is more akin to cinematographer, than a true DP. I personally only know a few people that are in the realm of what I would consider true DP's.

;)
So true. I know a guy who has his name printed on his gear and then "DP" just like "MD" :>).