TV Azteca and the Watermark

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
I’m starting to think that the folks at TV Azteca read b-roll.net. Or at leastNino’s thread about watermarking your video.

The live hijacking footage coming out of Mexico today on all the networks was plastered with the TV Azteca logo. I’ve seen bugs and “courtesies” but never something across the entire image. Is this the future of shared video?

CHIEFPHOTDOG

Forget the watermark did anyone see that photog shooting from the back of a motorcycle riding on the wrong side of the road just to get a shot. It passed an Explorer with a SNG Dish on it. It was Televisa and the CG read Live. But Televisa had watermarks all up on their stuff.

Nino

Great going TV Azteca

This is what I think about this web sharing business.

If somebody is very hungry I will unselfishly not hesitate to share my sandwich, but if that somebody is too lazy to make his own lunch, or too stupid to know how, or too cheap to buy his own, if he wants part of my sandwich he’ll have to pay, after all I paid for it or spent time to make my lunch.

I have asked repeatedly in other threads to one of our member who insisted that sharing is the thing to do in today business “why should I give my work away for nothing”. Naturally nobody gave me an answer.

The proponents of this video sharing mania are mainly those whose talent consist in their ability of right clicking the mouse and then proceed to copy n’ paste. These are nothing more than lazy freeloaders trying to capitalize on other people hard and expensive work.

One of the reasons that I feel so animated about this is because my work is very popular in the orient, even thou nobody has a clue of who I am. The work from my lighting web site has been hijacked and reposted on blogs and web sites in languages that I don’t even recognize. There’s this misconception that once is on the web is fair game. When I’ll rebuild the web site there will be water marks and copyright claimer on each image and on each video and I encourage everyone to do the same. Until somebody come up with some better forms of protection this will be our front line of defense against these blood sucking creatures.

Let’s see if this makes sense. The news industry in general is experiencing financial difficulties. The main reason for such problems is that there’s a lot of competition coming from the web; and this is the same competition who wants to get material for free from those who paid to create that material? Let’s stop giving away intellectual properties for free and the competition will slowly go away because most of them do not have the resources and the skills to get their own material and without our hard work they can't survive.

eb

I saw this video ... but I didn't see the pictures. All I saw were the markings all over the screen, and was then trying to figure what that was all about. I am all for watermarks, and not giving away free video, but at what point do the watermarks get too obtrusive?

I do agree, now is the time to watermark and protect copyrights.

I just came over from YouTube where I was watching a number of concert videos shot by members of the audience. Videos are available from all over the world, instantly. It is kinda weird.... how there isn't really any control anymore of information and media. Watermarks may be the only control?
Hence, you have Azteca plastering their name all over the video.

Yes but as nino stated theft is incredibly rampant these days. Say they had just put a bug on the lower right hand corner. How easy would it have been for some unscrupulous news director or producer to order the editor to crop it out. Say editor complies tape goes to air ends up on u-tube etc. The footage is out there for all with no credit to source.

2 somebody decides to make a documentary and either stumbles across altered footage or alters it themselves. With the new copyright legislation coming through congress pretty much all they have to do is say they didn't know who shot the footage or could Senerio not find them. that is big bucks lost for the source station in terms of licensing fees for footage that will almost certainly be requested and generating income for years to come.

Make no mistake hijackings are rare especially one for these reasons. This footage will generate many times more revenue in the future than it did in terms of ratings the day of the event.

SoMissTV

I saw that clip on the news earlier this week and I immediately thought of b-roll.net.

The news also showed a clip from what I gathered is a competitor of TV Azteca; they were also watermarked across the entire screen, only with their logo. I guess it's standard in that market.