Sony PXW-FS7K

It just depends on the market. My real concern is that sony is diluting their own market by releasing a new camera what seems like every 6 months. I had some real hopes that they were streamlining the situation with allowing the F5 to be upgraded to the 55 and what seems to be a more modular design on the F55. But this seems like a step in the other direction.. That said if it takes some market share away from the C300 I won't complain as I am really not a C300 fan.

Douglas

Every 6 months? The F5 and F55 were out for more than 18 months before the FS7 started shipping. And the FS7 is an entry-level camera that certainly does not replace the others. I fail to see how that is a step in the wrong direction for anyone -- especially not customers.

Doug, See the list below this is a quick list of what sony has as (professional Cameras) on their Pro page. I have omitted the 3d category (specialty) as well as Studio (specialty) and the HDV (legacy technology) What that leaves us with is the cine Alta XD and NX cameras in grouped by camera code in that order. Also of note the FS7 is actually a XD camera not in the same category as the F55 and F5 at least by whatever logic splits the Cine Alta cameras from the other XD models, wasn't the EX3 also sole as a Cine Alta Camera for a while.

As to the question about releases I really don't separate sony cameras in my mind by category and build size so when the release the 100/200/300/850/and FS7 in a short time my mind just goes there.

F55
F5
F3

PXWFS7
PXW70
PXW200
PXW500
PXWX180
PXWZ100
PMW300
PMW400
PDW700
PDW850

HXRMC250
HXRNX3/1
NEXEA50M
NEXFS700
HXRNX30U
HXRNX70U
NEXFS100
HXRNX5U
HXRMC300U
HXRMC2000U

Douglas

Yes, lots of cameras (you even left off a few) . . . but lots of VERY DIFFERENT cameras for totally different markets and price points that have come out over about a 5 year period. I really don't see how having choices is a problem. It's pretty easy to narrow down the options that meet YOUR needs -- and the rest of them can be ignored. I just don't understand the argument that having too many choices harms the consumer.

Tv Shooter

There are only 4 cameras on that list that would serve my client base, one of which (F3) is already falling out of favor. The rest would not be accepted by the majority of them. The F5 has been the best camera I ever owned, even more so than my beloved and still working HDX900. I have it set up on a Zacuto shoulder mount and I can change the balance very easily depending on what lens I am using.

It is the best ergonomic camera I have because it's fully adjustable. Those that whine it's difficult to shoulder aren't doing it right.

But Sony can't sell everyone an F5/55. So they make a camera for many different areas and price points. Those cameras cannot do what my F5 can, however my F5 can do anything those cameras below it will.

I really haven't been concerned with the number of cameras being released.....Panny, ARRI, RED, ect....I'm to busy with the one I have now. The HDX900 has been relegated to news and live shots that have to be 720p.Between the 2, most likely can ride 5 years with this combination, and both cameras are paid for.

The cameras listed below the F5/55, like the PMW200/300/500 are aimed at TV stations, who will buy multiple cameras at 1 time.HX and NEX series are for wedding shooters and low budget productions. None of which I come near.

There's a lot of bitching on the Sony forum about the F5/55, mainly from guys that bought the wrong camera for their clientele. If you can't make the F5 or 55 work for you, and make money with it, it's not the camera, it's not Sony releasing another camera, and it's not because of aliens.....it's because the guy in the mirror is either not very good or has not figured out how to run his business.

To many folks spend to much time whining about what the camera isn't, or won't do.....instead of learning what the camera is, and will do.

There are only 4 cameras on that list that would serve my client base, one of which (F3) is already falling out of favor. The rest would not be accepted by the majority of them. The F5 has been the best camera I ever owned, even more so than my beloved and still working HDX900. I have it set up on a Zacuto shoulder mount and I can change the balance very easily depending on what lens I am using.

It is the best ergonomic camera I have because it's fully adjustable. Those that whine it's difficult to shoulder aren't doing it right.

But Sony can't sell everyone an F5/55. So they make a camera for many different areas and price points. Those cameras cannot do what my F5 can, however my F5 can do anything those cameras below it will.

I really haven't been concerned with the number of cameras being released.....Panny, ARRI, RED, ect....I'm to busy with the one I have now. The HDX900 has been relegated to news and live shots that have to be 720p.Between the 2, most likely can ride 5 years with this combination, and both cameras are paid for.

The cameras listed below the F5/55, like the PMW200/300/500 are aimed at TV stations, who will buy multiple cameras at 1 time.HX and NEX series are for wedding shooters and low budget productions. None of which I come near.

There's a lot of bitching on the Sony forum about the F5/55, mainly from guys that bought the wrong camera for their clientele. If you can't make the F5 or 55 work for you, and make money with it, it's not the camera, it's not Sony releasing another camera, and it's not because of aliens.....it's because the guy in the mirror is either not very good or has not figured out how to run his business.

To many folks spend to much time whining about what the camera isn't, or won't do.....instead of learning what the camera is, and will do.
Point taken and some of this is just griping on my part as I have had a spat of work this year where the producer had to have C300, FS700 and about 10 other camera formats. because of reasons that, have nothing to do with the actual needs of the job and go much more to advertising. Or my personal favorite "we want it to be creative so we need to use a c300" because you can't shoot creatively on your run and gun job without using a camera with horrible ergonomics.

That said its actually been a really good year with my 400 and it is already paid off so all is good.

Starman

Sony's 0% down and 0% financing on the F5 looks, very, very sexy.

I'm glad to hear that you think the HDX900 has another 5 years left in it, I bought a used one a year ago. Along with my P2 camera, it serves a lot of clients, especially with the Nano Flash and Samurai recorders that I have.

Really liking all the 4K cameras out there. Will keep an eye on the FS7, but really liking the F5 more.

On a side note, the handheld version of these 4K cameras, namely the Panasonic HC-X1000 and the Sony PXW-Z100 would be great cameras for travel shows, everything is built in, they pack compactly in luggage, have a nice 1/2 inch chip instead of 1/3 inch, can shoot on XDCAM on the Sony version, just attach a wireless on the hot shoe, carry a small compact tripod and you are ready to go.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1004182&gclid=CO626OuZ8cICFck-Mgodb2oAJg&is=REG&Q=&A=details