Sony PMW-400 - any experiences?

marstaton4

It's time for me to start looking for a new camera as my PDW-F350 is getting a little long in the tooth and I'm looking at the PMW-400 as a prime contender.

I know this is a fairly new camera but was hoping someone here may have some first hand experience with it. I always heard mixed reviews on the PMW-350, especially with getting a good "look" I'm hoping some of these issues have been resolved.

I do a fair amount of news and the wi-fi adaptor seems like it could definitely be a very nice thing to have available for sending proxies back to the mothership. Most of the major news networks seem to be running either the F800 or PMW-500 and I'm not quite sure how the CMOS chip will be accepted by them. I'm not in a market where I am likely to be doing much if any multicam shoots. I'm assuming most people won't understand the difference as long as flashbanding doesn't show up. I also struggle with the idea of purchasing a camera that has been out for several years even though the 800/500 don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. CMOS appears to be the future.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any first hand experience and thoughts on this camera. Thanks all.

I have demoed one and was very happy with it. The 16x stock lens is a good piece of glass for what it is. The setup did not look bad off the shelf and it does everything I want and then some. As for CMOS vs CCD all I can say on the subject is that every new camera in the last 5 years (unless I am mistaken) has been CMOS so at this point I think it is a bit like arguing that tubes gave a better look than CCD chips. Or more to the point while I would not have bought a 1st generation CMOS camera as I did find the jello effect to be fairly easy to induce. I do believe that that has been mostly fixed now as I have had no problems in some time.

As for old technology I am in the same camp as you and while I do think the F-800 puts out a good image, there are a lot of moving parts and the thing eats batteries like my 2 year old eats Halloween candy. Also like you I see massive potential with the proxy workflow/wireless monitoring/remote upload capabilities with the wireless module. As for network acceptance who knows, but from what I have seen there is really no problem with footage from an ex-3 these days for a great many types of shoots so it really comes down to your client.

In short this is the camera that I am buying as soon as the last couple of checks from last month hit the bank. I am hoping it should be a good money maker for the next few years.

PS. the only thing I have seen anywhere on the flash band question was posted here.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-cinealta/518896-pmw-400-flash-banding-reducer.html

So while the guy still got a band it seems that it was in a more tricky situation and he was surprised how good the reducer worked. At least that is how I read it.

Starman

I tend to agree, CMOS technology, other than flash banding is getting every bit as good as CCD's. All the new cameras coming out will be CMOS. I have been shooting some network stuff with my HPX370 and haven't heard any complaints. Don't get me wrong, I like the CCD's in my P2 Varicam, but there are some drawbacks, such as power consumption. Also, a lot of network stuff such as Dateline, etc. are using Sony F3's and Canon C300's, and those are CMOS cameras boys and girls! But, I still think the PMW500 is a nice camera, and if I had the money and found a used one on the market, I would probably buy it, BUT, the wi-fi option of the 400 seems like a great idea, especially for a news package where the producer is on a deadline, they can already start logging or writing their package from their ipad. I'm torn between the two, but only for the paranoia of not having a CCD camera. I think that a lot of producers were demanding the 500 or F700/800 because of the 4:2:2 codec for post. I'm speculating that Dateline and other magazine shows have some color grading work done and this is the reason that post wants an F800 or 500, but the 4:2:2 capability of the 400 would take care of that. I am thinking it would be fine. The more I read about the 400, the more I like it. CMOS chips also have stellar low light performance.

Last edited:

Latvos

I think you are right to be wary of the 2/3 inch CMOS sensor. I own a Sony PMW 350 camera which was the first camera to have one of these sensors, and to be honest I hated the look for a long time. It gave a very thin image with poor blacks and tending towards a yellow cast when even slightly overexposing.
I am comparing this camera to the old PDW 530 disk camera, which always gave very nice images with its CCD sensor.
After much tweaking by local techs I have got the PMW 350 to look decent enough, but as look I still prefer the CCD sensors in a Sony camera. Maybe they have improved the CMOS sensor since the PMW350 release?
My other camera is a Canon C300 which shoots lovely looking pictures with its CMOS sensor.
CMOS absolutely kills CCD in low light and battery usage, no question.

Latvos

I should also have mentioned that I too am interested in how the PMW 400 performs in the real world. Its an interesting camera that could suit our needs too.

Maybe they have improved the CMOS sensor since the PMW350 release?
My understanding is that that is the big change between the 350 and 400. Along with a 50mb 422 architecture and the wireless stuff I mentioned in the other post. Cant say much about them side by side though as I never shot a 350. The standard I used is comparing it to both the ex-3 and various 2/3 cameras I have shot.

ISDV

PRO user
The flash band correction on the Sony PMW-400 wasn't working yet in that example from that other website. When the PMW-400 was announced Sony said that this feature would be available later this year through a "FREE" firmware update.

About one week ago on October 4, Sony released the Binary Package V1.10 for the PMW-400. It contains this new features:

1.) Flash Band Reducer is available.
2.) MPEG2 Full HD420 @ 35Mbits/Sec. MXF wrapped (UDF mode) codec is added.
3.) ALAC (Automatic Chromatic Aberration Correction) status is displayed.
ALAC function can be switched OFF from Maintenance/ Cam. config. Menu.
4.) CBK-WA101 Wireless Adapter is supported.
5.) IFU-WLM3 Sony Wifi Antenna for WiFi remote is supported.
6.) Multi-language Menu and Messages are added (Spanish,Portuguese,Russian).

You can download the firmware on the link below.

PMW-400 : Binary Package V1.10

Starman

Yes, but the biggest question in my opinion is, would a client that wants to shoot on a Sony 500 or F800 accept the PMW400 since it is 4:2:2 and therefore broadcast acceptable? Or would I loose some clients because I didn't have a 500. Honestly, I don't care if it's a tube camera or whatever, as long as it makes me money.

Robin

I think thats a valid concern.. production people often don't know that much about camera,s (of course some know a lot) but generally not.They are just given a number..
When I first had the 500 many needed a lot of convincing the files were the exact same as the 700/800.. now they want the 500 so they don't have to buy any disc,s and decks for ingest..