Ship Lithium Ion?

Skipcam

Is there a legal way to ship Lithium Ion Batteries with more than 100 Watt Hour designation? Wanted to do so but when I inquired, both UPS & FedEx, as well as USPS cite a IATA rule saying anything more than 100 watt hour is illegal to ship; air, ground or ship. I know I had them shipped to me when I bought them so what changed?

dhart

I just shipped lithium-ion batteries via FedEx ground. Took about 3 business days. FedEx says they can transport in 5 business days coast to coast. Need the following label on the outside of the case(s) "lithium batteries: prohibited for transport aboard air craft or vessels" Batteries need terminals taped and enclosed in a plastic bag.

Skipcam

Thanks guys. Richard, if you read the IATA document and look at the pictorial flowchart, it states you can ship a single battery with up to a 100 watt hour designation. Everything larger is prohibited, whether it's marked prohibited no air transport, or even designated Class 9 dangerous goods. My batteries are 160 watt hour. FedEx, UPS and USPS will not accept them. How do you ship anything larger than 100 WH? Dennis, what what was the Watt Hour designation on the batteries you shipped?

Run&Gun

They can be shipped because the manufacturer ships them, but they difference is, as I understand it, they are certified to be able to ship hazardous materials. That's why a lot of times the bigger Li batts are drop shipped from the manufacturer to the end customer. My sales rep said they could IF they got certified.

Some people give me crap over still using A/B bricks(HyTron 140's), but I don't have to worry about any shipping issues(besides weight. Lol).

Tv Shooter

I have 190's and they are shipped to me via FedEx ground. A certified shipper can ship via air, but it's a massive hassle to do so.

I'll call my contact at Switronix later today, ask him the best way to ship them and give you a call.

dhart

Hmmm, I was told by FedEx that I could ship any size battery via ground as long I taped the terminals and placed them in a plastic bag. Mine were 160s plus a bunch of NP1s. All I can tell you is they breezed through the FedEx system both ways. But maybe I was just lucky :)