Photog safety at nite...any guidelines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elvezz

The vest and the lights are a tough fashion/ coolness call but 'gober' or not I'd er on the side of caution. I dont think drunks target on reflection.
Also, Its good to have sober people able to see you as well.

Any way I have to wear the vest at my job now.
I make it look good!

shootcam

As was mentioned earlier, if possible get downwind from all the cops EMTS firetrucks etc. Stay away from the road. A rubbernecker will kill you, reflector vest, reflector triangles or not. If deaths are involved I find it very useful to offer my camera light or the million watter truck light,for the investigators to use, They usually let you get closer to the scene{if you want to be there} and the light actually assists them in their investigation. When I walk up to the scene I usually have the cam light on, so they can see I am a cameraman. When they ask why I am there, I always say" I thought you guys gould use some extra light." Hell all they will do if you are not wanted
is to ask you to back up...If that happens do not fret, on these new cams 9db looks pretty clean for death and destruction..It is all good...Peace, my brother photographers

[ June 10, 2005, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: chance ]

jajack71

Overnights are great you don't have to deal with reporters and ND'S. Man it's great just you and a producer. Get to know the the dectectives from your local PD on your shift as well as the overnight fire chief. Make sure before you arrive on the scene that there is a police presence. Get the correct info. when you do a stroy. If a officer dosen't want to be interviewed just ask can you tape his or her voice. This will help with accuracy of the facts that you need. Wear something bright so when you shoot you can be seen at night. Make sure you put you hazard lights on in your truck. Keep you camera with you at all time.DO NOT LEAVE YOUR GEAR UNATTENDED IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. The overnight person will most likely shoot fire murder and all sorts of evil it's easy to get jadded.

ABC Chief

Also I try and remember to always have a extra set of keys. Usually if your the only one working the streets then you have to plan on backing yourself up. I also prefer to leave my vehicle running and locked with the running lights on instead of the flashers. Sometimes flashers can make dark video hard to edit. In addition no matter what the weather it keeps your truck warm or cool depending on where your at. I also recommend, having a reporter's notebook, and a pen on me at all times. (non-gel pen they run when they get wet.)For notes directions etc. Always stay fueled up. Minimum half a tank. For those calls on the other side of town or the world. Remember there is no excuses needed when your properly prepared.

Don't be at any scene that cops aren't at. When they leave, you leave. Get everything you need while they're there. Keep all gear wtih you at all times or have someone along who can watch what you can't. Most of it is just common sense, but that's the easiest thing to let slip sometimes.

ewink

My advise would be to not think you are the only car on the road, and assume everyone is going to run a red light.

I have saved myself at least 10 times so far this year because I was coming to a light (I had the green) and I saw another car coming, I began to slow down and sure enough, they blow right through the light.

If I'd been rolling full speed through my green, I would have been nailed.

Here it's probably worse then every where else, because everyone is drunk, but still. Assume that guy is about to blow the light and slow down. We all know it's never the drunk that gets killed.

shooterx2

Situational awareness. Always observe your surroundings. Act like you're carrying 100K in cash, through the roughest neighborhood imaginable. The key is to look for people who look like they might do you harm, intentional or otherwise, whether they are on foot or behind the wheel.

Plan reactions to threat situations that seem almost impossible. That way, if the seemingly impossible happens, you'll not be caught with your pants down. In addition to the mental, accesorize with the physical to the maximum allowed by your employer and your own capabilities.

I carry an orange vest, and when walking on the side of the road, hold my camera so that my toplight faces traffic, and leave it on. The natural motion as you walk kind of makes it a flashing warning to traffic. Be careful not to blind the drivers.

I also carry mace, a knife(or two) & heavy maglite, for dealing with trouble of the bi-pedal variety. I would carry a roscoe, but the company would rather send my wife a funeral arrangement for my grave side than allow me a fighting chance should a situation elevate to that level. But, the best solution is work hard not to end up in such a violent situation in the first place, which loops back around to situational awareness.

24karat

Carry a spare set of keys and don't put them in a jacket pocket - keep them in your pants pocket or on a belt. If you forget and lock your jacket in the vehicle, you're out of luck.

most of everything is covered here. My advice, if you want it, is to be sure the producer (or overnight desk if you have one) calls to confirm any braking news situations. LIke the time on Christmas I was called out to a shooting.

"Hurry up" they said.

"It's breaking news." they said.

It was a suicide - not a shooting. Not worth covering. Have a relationship with producer/desk to confirm any breaking news. Otherwise - it could be a waste of time.

"The road goes on forever. The party never ends."

Status
Not open for further replies.