Mic vs Line

zac love

I'm trying to explain the difference between mic vs line level, and while I feel like I understand the difference, I'm finding it hard to explain why there is a difference between the two. I tried google & didn't come up with a good answer other than mic level has no amplification and line level does.

Can anyone here explain it better?

mpedance-matching
Microphones have an electrical characteristic called impedance, measured in ohms (Ω), that depends on the design. Typically, the rated impedance is stated.[17] Low impedance is considered under 600 Ω. Medium impedance is considered between 600 Ω and 10 kΩ. High impedance is above 10 kΩ. Condenser microphones (after the built-in preamp) typically have an output impedance between 50 and 200 ohms.[18]
The output of a given microphone delivers the same power whether it is low or high impedance. If a microphone is made in high and low impedance versions, the high impedance version will have a higher output voltage for a given sound pressure input, and is suitable for use with vacuum-tube guitar amplifiers, for instance, which have a high input impedance and require a relatively high signal input voltage to overcome the tubes' inherent noise. Most professional microphones are low impedance, about 200 Ω or lower. Professional vacuum-tube sound equipment incorporates a transformer that steps up the impedance of the microphone circuit to the high impedance and voltage needed to drive the input tube; the impedance conversion inherently creates voltage gain as well. External matching transformers are also available that can be used in-line between a low impedance microphone and a high impedance input.
Low-impedance microphones are preferred over high impedance for two reasons: one is that using a high-impedance microphone with a long cable will result in loss of high frequency signal due to the capacitance of the cable, which forms a low-pass filter with the microphone output impedance. The other is that long high-impedance cables tend to pick up more hum (and possibly radio-frequency interference (RFI) as well). Nothing will be damaged if the impedance between microphone and other equipment is mismatched; the worst that will happen is a reduction in signal or change in frequency response.
Most microphones are designed not to have their impedance matched by the load they are connected to.[19] Doing so can alter their frequency response and cause distortion, especially at high sound pressure levels. Certain ribbon and dynamic microphones are exceptions, due to the designers' assumption of a certain load impedance being part of the internal electro-acoustical damping circuit of the microphone.[20]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone#Connectors

This is a pretty accurate description from wikipedia it was just buried way down in the text of the link. The main point being about high impedance mics and long cable runs.