Hands in the cookie jar in Philly

What's up with the photogs at WCAU? According to two current PAs/research assistants (both former interns), it's open season between interns and photographers. It seems whether they're married or not, NBC10 photographers like the ladies young and inexperienced.

Freddie Mercury

I think it's pretty obvious "what's up". Intern usually equals young. Young often equals hot. Hot equals dudes will pounce. I can't justify the married ones other than they are weak.

It may be more obvious in Philly, but it happens everywhere.

Yes, but by these girls' accounts, at this station favors are expected in return for helping with demo tapes. Maybe some heavy handed photogs over there need a chaperone.

pre-set

Hmmmm, lets see. So it's okay for the hot, young, stupid chick who wants to be on TV so she can be popular to use the photog to help her make a tape, but gawd forbid said photog wants to have a little fun with the hot, young, stupid chick who wants to be on TV.

So the intern can f*ck the photog, but not the other way around?

Sexist? Nope.... Pragmatic. Call me anything you want, I don't care. We all know I'm right.

That's a very mature and professional response. I'm sure these girls' parents appreciate the extra "education" they're getting.

pre-set

So then tell me, why should it just be expected that a male photographer should just be willing to give of his time and effort to help a female intern? Why? Because she's a girl? I wouldn't do that for a male intern, so why should I do it for a female, unless there were "other" intrests for me?

My job description doesn't say ANYTHING about shooting a 45 second stand-up 67 times for a non-employee, while offering coaching and encouragement every time they screw something up. Or helping someone put a tape together of work they didn't do about stories they didn't cover just so they can go out and find a job where they can have "their photographer" do the heavy lifting....

I didn't get that. I don't know any photogs who did. Ya know what I got when I screwed something up? Yelled at, and warned not to do it again.... I wasn't even allowed to TOUCH a camera when I was an intern, let alone actually SHOOT something....

And I don't give a damn what their parents think about the extra "education" they get, as you called it.... I WOULD like to know why they'd expect their daughters to receive special treatment, courtesies and favors simply becuase they're female....

TXPhotog

Dang I must be at the wrong station. :D All one intern got me for helping her was:

Now don't get me wrong, I loved the gift. It's more then most interns do....except in Philly I guess. :p

Tapeape

So then tell me, why should it just be expected that a male photographer should just be willing to give of his time and effort to help a female intern? Why? Because she's a girl? I wouldn't do that for a male intern, so why should I do it for a female, unless there were "other" intrests for me?
So you're telling us you have NEVER received help, advice, or encouragement from ANYONE in this business? Part of the craft is to help the young folks get started. I'll give anyone who asks a hand - shooting standups, tips, advice, whatever, and I sure as hell don't expect sex, or anything else, in payment. I got a LOT of help when I started, I'm just paying it forward.

Freddie Mercury

You are now calling them girls. Are we talking adult women or not?

If a crime was committed, the police should be involved. If they were asked for favors for their trouble, adult women should know how to say no or should know it takes two to tango.

I've never gone that road, but I sure am tired of my gender being bashed for pursuing what the women are more than willing to exploit.

You absolutely shouldn't have to help an intern if you don't want to or don't have the time. It's not your job - I totally agree. Female interns shouldn't get more help or preferential treatment over male interns either. At the same time, why would you only help out a female intern just for the chance of a sexual payback? You don't do that with your female peers/colleagues, do you?

pre-set

So you're telling us you have NEVER received help, advice, or encouragement from ANYONE in this business? Part of the craft is to help the young folks get started. I'll give anyone who asks a hand - shooting standups, tips, advice, whatever, and I sure as hell don't expect sex, or anything else, in payment. I got a LOT of help when I started, I'm just paying it forward.

You know what advice I give those young folks who think they wanna get into this? I tell 'em not to. To go into another field and have less stress, make more money, and generally be happier. That's the most help I can be to them... But most, like me, are hardheaded and don't listen worth a damn, so I offer to help when someone - check that - a propsective/new PHOTOGRAPHER asks for it. I don't help reporter interns at all, mostly because I'm not a reporter, have never done it, and don't really have much advice for them. If I'm gonna help anyone, it's only gonna be another photog. Go to any Jschool class and you'll have more wanna-be reporters than you could swing a dead cat at - but only a few wanna be photogs. Well, I'm gonna help out the photogs. Let the wanna-be reporters fend for themselves.....

After I tell them not to get into the business first, that is...

Now, as far as "only helping out the female interns because"..... I never said I did. I said it was wrong for the those female interns to expect that a male photog would help them out simply because they're women. As if a twist of a curl and batting of an eyelash is going to make me give of my time....

INLANDNEWS

Like we all don't know of situations where reporters and anchors are screwing the producer, General Manager or News Director to receive a certain promotion. This kind of thing has been around for a long time. And of course it's not just limited to television :)

NoJobTog

First of all, I am more than willing to help someone out if they ask me and I can do so, and not expect sex in return. Maybe a soda, or a thankyou, and that is it. I have been lucky to have help from previous co-workers to get to the point that I am today.

I like seeing people succeed and giving a hand when I can. I have worked with a number of inexperienced reporters and was more than willing to help them out when I could even if it meant working off the clock..... But to address some of the points you have pointed out.....

That's a very mature and professional response. I'm sure these girls' parents appreciate the extra "education" they're getting.
Said Girls, Mommy and Daddy aren't paying my overtime. It sounds like these little girls are suffereing from a lack of common sense and that is a bigger problem then working on Stand-Ups and such. Im assuming that these are "girls" with a college education. Young Women that have been out of mommy and daddys house for at least four years if not more.
If their character is so weak that they feel that it is acceptable to have interecourse with someone in trade for some advice or a favor that is their own problem. I am assuming that these "girls" are not being raped, or forced to do anything they aren't willing to do.
If they are so weak that they have to f*ck someone for help they have no buisness being a Journalist. I find it hard to belive that all the photogs are trying to have sex with the interns.
If they want help they need to talk to an Anchor, EP, Reporter/Friend, Photog Friend for some help, or hire a photographer and pay them to shoot stand-ups and shoot packages etc.
Stop being so naieve

freedom

They need to start teaching the word NO in J school.
Were these 'girls' forced into anything?
How do we know the girls didn't make the offer...I'll do you if you help with my tape? Oh right, they said...
They need to teach the word NO in school.

missynj23

I've read all the posts and each side of the argument has a valid point. I work at the aforementioned station and have purposely used the photogs to get my stand-ups and demo tapes done. Just as the photogs definitely use the girls, the girls definitely use the photogs.

It's interesting to note, however, that the biggest suckers are the married ones. Just bat an eyelash and they come a-running. ;)

2gigch1

I swear the older I get the sillier some people seem to act. I don't know if it is a function of an overall societal trend towards immaturity or perhaps there is a lack of historical record of said immaturity in previous generations, but I am always taken aback by behavior exemplefied by the activities intimated above.

Then again I've always been an optimist, so really it's probably just me...

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
Whoring yourself out to get a demo tape shot? Welcome to the 21st Century!

Any (job) Openings in Philly?

Freddie Mercury

I've read all the posts and each side of the argument has a valid point. I work at the aforementioned station and have purposely used the photogs to get my stand-ups and demo tapes done. Just as the photogs definitely use the girls, the girls definitely use the photogs.

It's interesting to note, however, that the biggest suckers are the married ones. Just bat an eyelash and they come a-running. ;)
Assuming you are who you say you are, do you get the impression that it's a problem, meaning has anyone taken it too far?

Photogs dating interns and photogs helping interns with tapes are not problems on their own, but if it becomes a transaction, that pretty much is whoring and neither party can be proud of that.

missynj23

I don't know the whole story about the girls that the original poster mentioned, but I do think it's out of control. At the very least because it's completely unprofessional. I think in this day and age these guys are opening themselves up to legal ramifications as well.

As for girls being responsible and saying no I do agree to a point. But a 20 year old college student doesn't have the same "life knowledge" or experience that a 40 or 50 year old does. The biggest difference is, the 40 year old knows it while the 20 year old doesn't.

My Dad is always telling me he looks back to when he was this age he thought he knew everything, and now realizes he knew very little.