Christian Broadcasting Network

AlexLucas

Something to keep in mind, most Christian TV networks are not-for-profit. As a ministry, the pay probably isn't something that will get you the new Porche.
As for the no alcohol bit, as a Christian I have a problem with that. If Jesus wanted you to completely abstain from alcohol, then why did He turn water into WINE? Just saying....
1. The minister can drive an expensive car. The flock cannot.
2. Because most evangelicals are more interested in the culture and power they've developed, instead of doing things that Christ commanded. Although Christ liked alcohol, and created wine from water, the fanclub has decided that it is taboo, because Jesus wouldn't want it this way.
Because remember, God and Jesus are just sock puppets that we can stuff words into for any personal advancement.

Some other 'funny' facts about 'Christ vs. most people that follow him':
1. Was born to a single mother. Joseph ran off.
2. Hated governments.
3. Died by state based execution.
4. Offered only love... and only criticized the power hungry.
5. Never prayed for worldly things.

As you can see, I'm not impressed with Christianity as most people see it.
We worship a deity that is all knowing, all powerful, and all seeing... yet we keep getting in circles and begging him for stuff.
It's the definition of blasphemy to speak the mind of God... because you don't know.

Freddie Mercury

Not that I like it, but...

You said it exactly. They hide behind the appearance of a news program. That's the part I have an issue with.

I just object to them pretending to do an objective report that really only supports their agenda.
I'm racking my brain trying to think of a national newscast that would not fit this description. Nothing yet.

AB

They are not journalists. They are propagandists. If you're ok with making propaganda and not being a journalist, that's fine, but never confuse the two.
Some would say the mainstream media did a good job confusing the two in both the presidential primaries and main election.

2000lux

Yes, they used to be better. However, I was very proud to work for CNN around the turn of the century. I worked my but off with many other people to report truth as objectively as humanly possible. They've gone a bit down hill since then.

The only two networks I will absolutely NOT work for are FOX News Channel, and the Christian Broadcasting Network, and I have turned down work from FOX even when I really wanted to cover the story.

Last edited by a moderator:

zac love

Some other 'funny' facts about 'Christ vs. most people that follow him':
1. Was born to a single mother. Joseph ran off.
Wow, I guess I missed that part.

Anyone else surprised by reading this thread at why avid church-goers think the media is out to get them?

I think this is a perfect example of how understanding we are to people w/ different views.

AlexLucas

Wow, I guess I missed that part.

Anyone else surprised by reading this thread at why avid church-goers think the media is out to get them?

I think this is a perfect example of how understanding we are to people w/ different views.
Wrong. It's just apparently obvious that they're missing the point.
And yes, in this extreme form of ignorance, I am judging them... much in the same way that if you went to an archery contest and hit someone in the crowd, I would call you a poor archer.

The funny thing is, I'm deeply, deeply Christian.
The full sum of what people teach in most churches is 'full contact ignorance' with high pressure sales tactics.
They'll read a passage, and then apply the spin to their own tastes.

That's actually a MORTAL sin, when you look it up... a form of intergenerational manipulation.
"Getting cute" by adding on the text is super, super bad.
Christs last supper was "beware the mishnas."
Christianity has a LOT of mishnas now.
It's hard enough to ferret out what was added by monks generations ago, much less what every respective preacher tells you.

Last edited:

Tv Shooter

"I will say, if you're not into fishing, don't get hired on a fishing show"

I'm not into fishing, yet did 7 Bassmaster events last year. Did them well, got paid and ended up with more work from the same company. Still have absolutely no interest in fishing....and I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico.

It's not about our likes,dislikes, it's about your ability to put aside your personal feelings, agenda, whatever, and do the job the client wants and needs. Taking only work you like, or agree with really limits your ability to work.

I don't care what the political opinons, religious views, music tastes, or position on abortion are of the plumber that comes over....just fix the damn toilet and leave.

AlexLucas

"I will say, if you're not into fishing, don't get hired on a fishing show"

I'm not into fishing, yet did 7 Bassmaster events last year. Did them well, got paid and ended up with more work from the same company. Still have absolutely no interest in fishing....and I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico.

It's not about our likes,dislikes, it's about your ability to put aside your personal feelings, agenda, whatever, and do the job the client wants and needs. Taking only work you like, or agree with really limits your ability to work.

I don't care what the political opinons, religious views, music tastes, or position on abortion are of the plumber that comes over....just fix the damn toilet and leave.
Yeah, really sticking your neck out there with the BassMasters.
Working for televangelists might be a tad more edgy.
Honestly, I didn't want to say what I REALLY felt about these people, until they were defended.
Then it came out. Sorry.

I tell ya what, why don't you google 'Pat Robertson and Mobuto Sese Seko' together, and then decide if that "just take the paycheck and go" attitude means anything to you.
(Hint: It involves Pat's group 'Operation Blessing' running mining equipment past the UN's nose for the blood diamonds. And here I was thinking Christ wanted us to care less about earthly possessions.)

If you want more fear and loathing in your Jesus, just google "900 foot Jesus."

Alaska cameradude

First, I'd have to agree that the stuff people are saying about CBN being biased and 'hiding
behind the appearance of a news show' apply to pretty much every national news show I've seen. Biased? Did you watch the coverage of our last presidential election? A nonpartisan
'Excellence in Journalism' project even noted the biases in coverage.

Second, I think there is a bit of a difference between working as staff for CBN and freelancing
for them. If you work as staff, they will attempt to make sure you are 'one of them'. Nothing wrong
with that.....you probably wouldn't be comfortable working for them full time if you don't
agree with them. But, the other thing is working freelance for them. That is something
totally different, and if they are looking for freelance crew, their biggest thing is ...are you qualified? And your biggest thing is probably......will the check clear? Freelance work is a lot different than
full time staff. I've done a ton of freelance work for people I didn't agree with as long as they paid on time. I've even created political TV spots for people I totally disagreed with. The funny thing is that they assumed I was doing it because I liked their positions and had me in for 'strategy planning' meetings and all kinds of things.....and talked to me as if I was 'one of them'. Sorry guys but I wasn't doing it for your grand political positions, it was for the paycheck.......when a guy needs to make the house payment he doesn't care that much what political persuasion you are as long as the check clears. I wouldn't turn down good paying freelance work because I didn't agree with the people hiring me. However, a full time job???....that's totally different, you gotta know you are going to be in that environment every day, for some people that would be just fine, for others, it wouldn't work.

cameragod

Its ironic that sometimes I feel I have put a lot more effort into a shoot for people I don’t like, more than they deserve, just to prove that the fact I don’t like or agree with them doesn’t affect the quality of my work.

Wouldn't do it

I'm what you would consider an Evangelical Christian, although to be honest I use the term as a theological description and not in the political sense that CBN and other groups tend to use it. And I wouldn't work for them. If they really cared about spreading their message and their mission, then they would accept anyone as an opportunity to share their beliefs. Not as another convert to check off their list, but as a living, breathing person to interact with.

I really wish more Christians would pay attention to the harshest words in the Bible. They are always directed towards those who profess to believe, but then reveal themselves to be total hypocrites.

To me, the real tragedy is that it gives people a false picture of Christ.

zac love

Tv Shooter

"Yeah, really sticking your neck out there with the BassMasters.
Honestly, I didn't want to say what I REALLY felt about these people, until they were defended.
Then it came out. Sorry."

Well I wasn't comparing Bassmasters to televangelists...you are. and I wasn't defending them. Just saying that it doesn't matter if I agree with them, don't agree, like the sport, hate the sport....I get hired to shoot, shoot it well, and get the job done. Don't have to like it, like the people nor dislike them...just shoot.

And no working for televangelists ISN'T more edgy than Bassmasters. Did both, did them well, got paid, got hired again. That's all there is to it, nothing else. I shoot tv and they needed someone to shoot tv for them.

That's what I do. :)

AlexLucas

"Yeah, really sticking your neck out there with the BassMasters.
Then it came out. Sorry."

Well I wasn't comparing Bassmasters to televangelists...you are. and I wasn't defending them. Just saying that it doesn't matter if I agree with them, don't agree, like the sport, hate the sport....I get hired to shoot, shoot it well, and get the job done. Don't have to like it, like the people nor dislike them...just shoot.

And no working for televangelists ISN'T more edgy than Bassmasters. Did both, did them well, got paid, got hired again. That's all there is to it, nothing else. I shoot tv and they needed someone to shoot tv for them.

That's what I do. :)
Okay, here is where you and I, respectfully, disagree.

I agree. Do the job, take the check.
Until you're working with a complete smacktard that I believe, is a known liar, who is basically against everything I stand for.

One is catching fish in a contest. Who's wronged? The fish.
One is spreading God for profit, while inserting political commentary. Who's wronged? The universe and mankind.

Sure. I agree. Take the paycheck for the most part.
Still doesn't change the fact that the UN was investigating Pat Robertson's violations of the UN Security Council by war profiteering with Mobuto Sese Seko.

Once again... catching fish.
One other is working for a person that, under the name of God, breaks international law, tried to get his congregation to pray for the assasination of Hugo Chavez, and is in general, a smacktard that is more interested in using the name of the Almighty as a personal sock puppet, which is, by definition, blasphemy.

Forgive me for getting up in your grill, but that's moral relativity at its absolute worst.

Lensmith

<sigh>

I've watched this thread...it's strange to me, with no offense to others...that some will somehow perceive a need to take jobs based on either sharing or not sharing "beliefs".

During my freelance years in Central America, I worked with a couple of "big" evangelical television outlets. I'm Catholic...if that matters to anyone...and have my personal beliefs but it never dawned on me that I should judge clients/employers as to whether our religious or political beliefs matched up.

It's a job.

No one was dying.

I didn't, and still don't, understand the angst of deciding to work for someone who might not believe the way I do. I even worked for Al Jazeera a couple of times! I guess in the minds of some I should have turned down those jobs too.

I'm a professional. Paid to shoot as best I can and deliver the best product. Period.

If others feel the need to avoid employment because they feel their beliefs are more important...that's fine for you. I don't begrudge you that decision. However to feel the need to force others into following your lead, and in essence your beliefs, I think is a little unrealistic.

Those Christian Networks I worked for paid top dollar for my skills and gear. I gave them my best. The only odd thing for me was during one of those shoots them insisting everyone join in a prayer circle before each and every interview. Since I'm Catholic, I figured "so what". If Al Jazeera started laying out prayer mats every few hours during our work days for prayer breaks... I might have felt differently...but they didn't. ;)

It's a job and I'm a professional hired to do a job. That's what counted then for me and still does to this day.

Extending this thought...I guess some might really have a tough time doing their job if they are covering and event where any kind of prayer is offered by those in attendance. What would happen in that case? Would you be inclined to pack up your gear because events didn't match up to your beliefs? Or does it just come down to who is writing the paycheck?

Right to life rallies?
KKK rallies?
Executions?

The list could be long as to what does and doesn't offend your beliefs...and affect your decision to seek/accept employment. Whether it's with a Christian broadcaster or any other company for that matter.

There is no "pure" company out there, anywhere. To act like there is...is hypocritical in my opinion.

Tv Shooter

I guess you can respectfully disagree with me...I don't care. I neither agree or disagree...I merely stated that I don't have to like the subject I'm shooting, using the Bassmaster analogy since Zac Love said "if you're not into fishing, don't get hired on a fishing show". You turned it to a question of morality.

I'm a freelancer. I work for whomever pays me. I was making a point that I don't have to agree with their philosophy, idealology, or what they want for lunch. I just have to go out there, do the best job and get paid. I don't shot, I don't eat, plain and simple.

Moral relativity? Who's morals will we judge by? Michael Griffith? Paul Hill? Moral men of God that murdered in cold blood...in God's name. The UN's morals? A body of rapists, murderers and criminals. Eason Jordan, of CNN who knew people were going to be murdered, yet by his own admission,kept quiet about it to protect CNN's Iraq access to Saddam? Guess you'll have to turn down any CNN work coming your way. Yes morality at it's finest moment, for sure. Just not your morality, nor mine.

Moral relativity at it's worse? No...not even close pal...all I do is make pictures for tv.But let me ask you this...and I am assuming you work at a station...would you resign your job if you were told to cover an event with Robertson that showed him in a favorable light? Maybe ol Pat is going to donate some of that cash to some food bank or build a Habitat house. Or would you shoot it, hand over the tape and let him be shown as a good guy on the news?

Walk out or shoot? What would you do? Situations like that, moral relativity takes a whole new direction.

See-I've been in that exact situation...several times. I've had to make the choice to put my beliefs aside and shoot. As a journalist, aren't you supposed to put your personal feelings aside and just tell the story? That's what I did...just shoot the story, set aside any personal feelings, concerns and yes, morals, and did my job. I earned a paycheck, I paid my bills and went on my way.That's what I'll do tomorrow, the next day, a year from now. I have but one agenda...make a living.

We make a living showing humanity at it's worst, interjecting ourselves and our cameras in people's lives at the absolute worst moment. And we do it for money. We profit on other people's tragedy...you, me, everyone here. Again-moral relativity changes direction...is it moral to make a living off of someone's tragedy?

So get up in my grill...whatever that means....me, I'm going to show up for work tomorrow morning, and shoot. I'll set aside the fact that basketball doesn't interest me one bit. I'll shoot it well, in focus, color and sound....and the client will be happy.

As the great and wise sage Lensmith said..."It's a job and I'm a professional hired to do a job."

AlexLucas

But let me ask you this...and I am assuming you work at a station...would you resign your job if you were told to cover an event with Robertson that showed him in a favorable light? Maybe ol Pat is going to donate some of that cash to some food bank or build a Habitat house. Or would you shoot it, hand over the tape and let him be shown as a good guy on the news?

Walk out or shoot? What would you do? Situations like that, moral relativity takes a whole new direction.
First thing:
There is a big difference for the paycheck, and shooting someone someone making a charity donation.

Second thing:
There are worse things than being jobless in this world.

Last edited:

A Step Above Productions

In this economy I can't be to picky. I am Jewish and I would not mind freelancing for CBN. Their money is as green as any other client.

I will not refuse a client based on politcal or religious views.

Now working for them full time is a different thing.

Tv Shooter

"First thing:
There is a big difference for the paycheck, and shooting someone someone making a charity donation."

Okay-what's the difference? If you shoot Pat making the donation, you get a paycheck, right? Pat looks good, you had focus, color and sound, so cool. No different between me shooting it for CBN and you shooting it for Action News. Doesn't matter what Pat is doing, charity or holding a prayer vigil for someone. We shoot it because it's our job. And a good photojournalist leaves his/her view in the news truck.

"Second thing:
There are worse things than being jobless in this world."

Yup. I agree, many things. Shooting for CBN is not one of them, nor shooting for anyone else willing to pay a fair rate for a day's work. I plan on staying gainfully employed, employing other freelancers, buying equipment and stimulating the economy by doing my job.

Are there clients I would turn down work because of my moral, political, or other views? I don't know....hasn't happened. Cross that bridge when I get to it.

BTW-for the record, I don't like PR either.he's a prick. I've met him.

We can argue over this as much as the VJ thread, but arguing on the internet is like whistling for chickens.