Christian Broadcasting Network

AlexLucas

Anyone ever worked for them? Any idea of how it works for staffers? Pay?
Are you a Christian?
Do you believe in Evangelical Christianity?

They make no bones about this.
It's who they are.
If you're not an Evangelical Christian, or any other type, and doesn't believe what they believe, well, sorry.

It's just that simple.
They're very specific.
It's not about the tape, it's about doing the godly work.
It's who they are.
They can't have the faithful watching, and not have the faithful working.

If you're down with that, then jump right in.
As I am not of their particular flavor (I'm UCC Lutheran), I don't belong there. Simple as that.

Check your worries about getting a 'regular job' with them at the door.
You must be on the same page with them, on the only thing that matters to them.

upclose

Moral Standards

I applied there, years ago. They sent me an agreement that I had to sign. Most of it was fine, but part of it said you were allowed no alcohol at all. Not just at work, (understandable), but none in your fridge, none at home, never, not allowed. I 'm not a big drinker, but I didn't feel they had the right to dictate my life outside of my work hours. I don't even know if they enforce it, but I didn't want to end up fired for having a six pack of Bud in my fridge.

Sean-1966

I can't say anything about this network but I've heard about others that have a tendency to come around once and a month and say God needs so much of your pay cheque back. If you don't donate back you're history...

nautilusvideo

If you want to be part of taking money from people who really can't afford to send in their last $10 but send it in anyway then take the job. Just think how much money it takes to pay for crew, top of the line studio equipment and satellite time 24/7 X 365 days per year and look at how the hosts of the show live and ask yourself it you want to be part of that sort of scam.

MtnShooter

I once was asked to do a freelance assignment for Focus on the Family. I had to fill out a form describing what kind of gear I had, what insurance I carried, and when and where I was born again. I wrote in "Never. The first time worked just fine." Didn't get the assignment.

at the plate

A long, long time ago I did a freelance shoot for them. We were shooting in a citrus grove. A bolt of lighting hit about 500 yards away and a static charge traveled through the grove's irrigation pipes. A small static spark jumped from my old Bolex metal sticks to my finger. The producer saw the spark and asked me "if God spoke to me". I replied, "yes, he said its Miller Time" and time to get away from this approaching storm. We never heard from them again.

Ruff

I have a 3 days freelance shoot starting today with one of their reporters... will see how it goes!

zac love

We were in the same trailer & shared the live shot space with CBN for the DNC & RNC last year. They seemed to have good gear (XDCam HD) & were nice people. I didn't really get to know any of them b/c I was busy running around like crazy (just like everyone else).

I will say, if you're not into fishing, don't get hired on a fishing show. If you're not Evangelical, don't work for CBN.

For all you guys that made a joke & never heard back, I just have to say one of my favorite sayings "correlation does not imply causation."

I grew up in an Evangelical Free Church & still know a lot of Evangelicals. There are the crazy ones, I will easily admit to that (every social group has too many of them, IMHO). But on the whole they can take a joke, don't make business decisions based on religious belifies and most of them have beer in the fridge.

As what it is like to work there, I don't know. Will they fire you if you have beer in your fridge? Go ask a lawyer that deals with wrongful termination on your way to the pub. I know Wheaton College (the Harvard of Chistian Colleges) laxed a bunch of their rules for their employees a few years back, maybe CBN has / is doing the same.

Overall, I don't think it hurts to apply. Find out more about what is going on & if it doesn't fit, then don't take the job if they offer it.

Ruff

Lot's of praying throughout the day, and blessing of food and so on. But other than that a nice normal day at work. Professional and pleasant.

Sentinel94

Something to keep in mind, most Christian TV networks are not-for-profit. As a ministry, the pay probably isn't something that will get you the new Porche. But if you feel like you want to work for them and their mission (ie: mission statement) then go for it.
As for the no alcohol bit, as a Christian I have a problem with that. If Jesus wanted you to completely abstain from alcohol, then why did He turn water into WINE? Just saying....

Some Guy in LA

They

are Christian.

are Broadcasting.

could be considered a Network.

are NOT JOURNALISM!

Still, if your employer is controlling your life like that and it ain't for you...move on down the dial.

Life is too short...and you could end up with a Swaggert, Bakker, or worse.

Google "Christian Evangelist Scandals". They go down, you go down.

104imdirect

Dealing with churches

I once did some consulting work for a church...I sat down with the Pastor to negotiate my rate. Once he figured I wouldn't go any lower he said to me "Do you like the church?" I responded, "Pastor, do you like your Rolex?"

Got what I was asking - they got what they wanted.

zac love

are Christian.

are Broadcasting.

could be considered a Network.

are NOT JOURNALISM!
The same can be said for a lot of programming on Fox, CNN & MSNBC.

At least ESPN has "entertainment" in their name, so if you don't like what they report they can point to the letter "E."

2000lux

They are not journalists. They are propagandists. If you're ok with making propaganda and not being a journalist, that's fine, but never confuse the two.

Shootblue

I'll give you that they do hide behind the appearance of a news program, which to an extent it is. But is shooting a commercial not propaganda? They are only going to tell you what they want you to know about the product, it's up to you to figure it out on your own.

2000lux

I'll give you that they do hide behind the appearance of a news program, which to an extent it is. But is shooting a commercial not propaganda? They are only going to tell you what they want you to know about the product, it's up to you to figure it out on your own.
You said it exactly. They hide behind the appearance of a news program. That's the part I have an issue with.

There is a big difference between General Mills trying to sell me a box of CoCoa Puffs with a silly 30 second commercial, and Pat Robertson trying to subtly influence my vote by broadcasting a slanted "news" show and claiming it's journalism. I don't deny their rights as Americans to voice their views. I just object to them pretending to do an objective report that really only supports their agenda.