Camera tripod for Sony Ex.3 / Sony PMW 300

Wheatstone Bridge

Hi Everyone and H N Y 2014 to all !

I will appreciate very much of someone can recommend which is a good sturdy tripod that can be used with the Sony EX-3 / PMW 300.

Thanks very much.

svp

There are many good options. I just bought this Manfrotto for my NX5 and I absolutely love it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/834075-REG

There are obviously more expensive options but I've been VERY happy with this model. It's the perfect size for the EX3 but the legs are not the best when shooting in windy conditions.

the FSB 8 is good if you are just shooting news and don't have to support a prompter. Also the Sachtler hotrods will work just fine if you happen to already own one. They have both the blessing of being heavy and solid.. and the curse of being heavy and solid. Depending if you are a half full or half empty type of guy. Just make sure to change the load setting on the head so that is is set for a small camera.

zac love

No offense SVP, but a putting an $8,000 camera on a $400 tripod is an injustice to the camera.

If you're budget only allows for a Manfrotto, then at least get a 504HD head since that has adjustable counterbalance. But I'd suggest looking at the Sachlter Ace tripods as they are dirt cheap & will probably perform better than Manfrotto heads (although I personally haven't tested out any Ace heads, every other Sachlter head I've touched has been great).

Though my personal favorite is Vinten. The Vinten Vision Blue is a steal of a deal at $1,200.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734609-REG/Vinten_VB_AP2M_VB_AP2M_Camera_Support_System.html

Though I prefer to have a Vinten Blue Head on Manfrotto 535 Sticks (saves on weight).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/734617-REG/Vinten_V4092_0001_Vision_Blue_Pan_and.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/556157-REG/Manfrotto_535_535_3_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

How many accessories are you putting on the camera? If you're going to add a few additions, and / or use something like a VCT-14 quick release plate, you should look into the Blue 3 or Blue 5 heads as they have a higher counter balance weight range.

Or like Geoff Tirrell mentioned, the FSB 8 is a good head too, plus the counter balance range is superb & goes from something like 4lbs to 20lbs.

The reason I really like Vintens are their perfect balance. Sachtler / Manfrotto have stepped counter balance & you'll need to adjust drag to dial in perfect balance. With Vinten, you can add 2oz & adjust the counter balance spring for the additional 2oz.

But really test these out. If there isn't a vendor near you, e-mail one to see if they (or the manufacture) can send you a demo unit. Actually Vinten, Sachtler & Manfrotto are all owned by the same parent company Vitec, so maybe you can test all three.

svp

zac love,

I get what you are saying. I guess it depends on what kind of work you primarily do and how loaded down the camera is with accessories. I bought the 502 for my Sony NX5 and its more than enough for that camera and the work I do. The head is very smooth and I've had nothing but good results with it. I just can't see spending a couple thousand on a tripod when this $500 one does everything I need. It will even support my HPX370 if needed, although I'd need to get sturdier legs if I wanted to use it all the time with that camera. I'm not pushing one tripod over another. I just like to point out cost effective options when available.

Teddy

zac love,

I get what you are saying. I guess it depends on what kind of work you primarily do and how loaded down the camera is with accessories. I bought the 502 for my Sony NX5 and its more than enough for that camera and the work I do. The head is very smooth and I've had nothing but good results with it. I just can't see spending a couple thousand on a tripod when this $500 one does everything I need. It will even support my HPX370 if needed, although I'd need to get sturdier legs if I wanted to use it all the time with that camera. I'm not pushing one tripod over another. I just like to point out cost effective options when available.
Sounds like a great setup for shooting weddings. Not so much for other areas of production.

zac love

I just can't see spending a couple thousand on a tripod when this $500 one does everything I need.
I'd just say the proof is in the pudding. Ever since I started shooting with a Vinten Blue I don't want to touch a tripod that I can't balance the head perfectly.

(Have you tested one out? If not, do so. I've read about a few people who have gotten loaners from Vinten if there isn't a dealer near by that you can use for a demo. I feel like I'm evangelizing, but I really feel like perfect counterbalance is that amazing all shooters should know about it & how to set it up.)

I had a Manfrotto 503 previously & it got the job done, but being able to let go of the camera & not have it tilt changed the way I shot.

I shoot a 8 hour conference & I only engaged the tilt lock when there were breaks & I walked away from the camera. Before when I shot with Manfrotto heads I would have to engage & disengage the tilt lock all day long (or even Sachtler heads before I learned how to dial in the counter balance properly).

Another selling point to investing in a good tripod is that it'll probably outlast your camera & the one after that & probably the one after that too (if they're all in the same weight class).

svp

I've never used Vinten. I've used Sachtler, Miller, and Manfrotto. Miller is ok but I've had nothing but great results using Sachtler and Manfrotto. I guess I'm like you, once you find something that works great for you why change? My choice of the Manfrotto 502 instead of buying Sachtler this last time was purely about cost.

Capt. Slo-mo

FWIW...I've been doing just fine with a Sachtler SB6 under my EX-3. If I was needing a lot of long lens capability, I'd go heavier. Or just put it on my Sachtler Video 18 head.

dangreen

I have been using Proaim carbon fiber tripod stand. Its best feature is that it is lightweight. Quality is well built and price is also very cheap. If you are interested you can check following links may b suit your requirement.
75mm bowl head tripod
100mm bowl head tripod

dangreen

Hmm....
Manfrotto tripod is best quality wise but there price is little high..
Otherwise, fantastic investment..

zac love

Dan, I'm going to disagree with you on all three accounts.

Manfrotto isn't the best quality, is one of the cheaper tripods options and not the best investment.

There are cheaper tripods than Manfrotto, but nearly all of them are things that are much lower quality. So yeah, if Manfrotto is all you can afford, then it is better than something cheaper, but it still isn't great.

If you buy a Manfrotto tripod, there is a good chance that you'll upgrade to something nicer down the line. So, that's why I don't think they're a great investment.

amp

We have Miller DS-10 heads with the Solo tripod. About $1500 so it's the best bang for your buck.

Lensmith

I shoot a lot of EX3 material and have a great Sachtler DV6SB system with the carbon fiber legs. It was pricey when I bought it and it has lasted, taken a beating, still works perfectly.

That said...I do a fair amount of 2-camera shoots and rent a buddy of mine's EX3 for reverse shots. He has a Hotpod. Heavy, bulky but...it is so nice to have such a solid mount for the camera. Butter smooth pans and tilts. Working by myself with it would be a pain BUT it is a better tripod from the "capturing an image" standpoint.

I'm also a huge Vinten fan. Those two brands are my go-to choice when I spend my own money.

I have nothing nice to say about Manfrotto tripods. In my experience, they don't last and are second rate. Make that third rate. Save money now, then spend more very quickly not too far into the future. Or put up with a rattle trap, putting your camera at risk. I won't bore you with more negative comments from me about Manfrotto products.

I will strongly suggest whatever tripod you buy, get one with a mid-level spreader. It's just as important as making sure you have a good, smooth action head.

We all have to balance cost with need. Just make sure to err on the side of "long term thinking". Spend good money now on a good tripod system which will last you beyond your current camera. ;)

kangan

I've used Vinten ,Sachtler, Miller, and Manfrotto. Miller is OK but according to me I've had great results using Sachtler and Manfrotto.I shoot a lot of EX3 material.I am great fan of Vinten .Spend money wisely on a good tripod system.Have a great time.

ridhima

Manfrotto tripod is a great.I love it very much.My friend suggest me about it And I am very thankful for suggesting Sony EX-3 / PMW 300.