XDCAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameragod

Just back from the XDCAM road show in NZ and will post some pics and a review of the PDW-530P as soon as I get a brake, the phones gone mad!!!

I

imported_blank

Well???? :confused: I'm waitin'...... :rolleyes:

If I wanted just a tease, I would of went to the local strip joint....

That's right, get me all excited and then forget about my needs.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

OzCam

I've been trying to find out if Sony are going to make an XDCAM computer drive, external or internal for the download / upload of the MXF files. The playback machines they are touting at the moment seem very expensive for a freelancer to purchase. And will the MXF file system be adopted by Apple FCP. At the moment only Pinnacle and AVID have gone with it. Early days I know. But indications are that Sony will eventually make a drive to satisfy all those NLEs out there in the squillions. Mad if they don't cash in on that market.

I

imported_blank

Hi OzCam,
You're my kinda cameraman. Digibeta Video Production
Just seeing the Digibeta word written here perks me up....

Luv your DIGI-BETA :D site.
You need cartoons at your digi-snap space? :D

--------------------
Here is some MXF info.

MXF support since last year
September 2002
http://www.pro-mpeg.org/latestnews/news0018.htm

Very recent links in this thread
http://b-roll.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000077

older IMX MXF thread
http://b-roll.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000066

Glad to finally see high calibre cameramen taking MXF seriously, after all it is the future...

I can't see XDcam computer drives being cheap even if Sony grants third party unit licence rights.
The laser itself is more advanced (more precise focusing - higher bit rate etc) then DVD.

Keep in mind that even if Sony does make or license the drive, most likely you will have to run it on SONY certified hardware and software. Kinda like AVID insists on certified hardware (hard drives to pci cards to I/Os ) running REAL BROADCAST Avid systems. Not cheap!!!

Just my opinion and hope my links help... :)

OzCam

Thanks for all that info. After reading I also have some reservations about XDCAMs evolution toward HD, probably within 2 years - but hey the price of an SD XDCAM is probably going to be half that of a current HDCAM.
Apart from the TV networks, I still think Sony have got to make it accessable to the 'new' inhouse NLE market at a reasonable $. Then and only then can I feel justified in getting the camera.
I recently sold my Digital Betacam since I had very little use from it, mainly because the corporate market is now leaning toward DVCAM and the old workhorse Bcam SP. The hi end work has dried up for whatever reason. What's the situation in your country? Maybe the fact that post facilities charge too much to cut it, or more to the fact that every man and his dog (and producers) have an NLE suite that utilises DV or DVCAM. All of this should explain where I am at the moment - just waiting for the release of XDCAM - I just hope Sony get it right!

I

imported_blank

OzCam,
Sorry to hear that the "HIGH-END" work has dried up and forced you to sell your Digi-Beta.
(what about your domain name?)

Will this continue to be a respected business were experienced adults using high end gear do the gigs or will this biz' be taken over by the average joe with his dog (as assistant) utilizing home video cameras?

From looking at the SONY link from Australia you provided -- seems that SX is quite popular down under...

As to buying the IMX PD530 (as you mention on your digi-beta site)
If you are losing clients to every man and his dog (and producers) utilizing DV then I suggest you buy the PDW510 (DVcam only) disk rig instead of the IMX. (it brought tears to my eyes to write the above)

The PDW510 is $14,000 USD dollars less then the 530 only because it won't record the higher quality IMX. Sony claims the front end is the same minus the dual filter wheel.. Of course you MAY loose more of the HIGH END cliental by doing that...

READ THIS PART OzCam
EDITING
I hate to scare you but I think there always will be a distinction between ""acceptable by some quality"" and ""STUDIO QUALITY"" when dealing with editing, graphics and over all post work. Why in the world would you spend $34,000 USD on the IMX format if your intention is to dump it to some cheap uncertified $2,000 laptop edit?

Look at it this way. For acquisition you are paying 14,000 UDS more to have IMX. What makes you think that for post production the gear will cost the same as a plain DV consumer edit system? Look at the difference in price with cheap DV avid compared to a full blown IMX-MXF avid hardware certified system.
END

Just one man's opinion. That's all.
--------------------------
As for digi-beta work at home? Sorry but I'm not quite that high up. Mostly due to the fact that I never owned my own high-end rig. Although from what I'm hearing on the streets things aren't bad for some people and not so rosy for others. Some of the digi-beta shoots are moving up to HD. Got to remember though, this is a "film town" and many of the film cinematographers are crying about "their" industry taking a dive.

The good news is that due to the fact that this is a film town, we have many production and post production houses around and a lot of the better corporate shoots still go through the p- houses. Although many shooters and even houses still use the BETA SP workhorse, most of that footage is getting posted on SX, BROADCAST AVID or Digi. (not dv)

Almost forgot,
Majority of the mid end work for "Television" over here (nationwide) have no problem accepting SP. Many will prefer SX as tons (if not most) of the specialty channels run off SX along with the CBC (nationwide O&Os ) and most CTV O&Os using SX. Although you may get away with a lower DV format, many will have similar guidelines to the below ACTUAL CBC requirement.
"""If you intend to deliver your program in a format other than SP or SX, please confirm approval in advance of your delivery date."""
It's not up to me to decide, it's up to the producer(s) to decide and seems that only the lower end stuff is gettin' put on DV. (We do a lot of the low corporate stuff as well) All the higher stuff is shot on SX and SP, edited on broadcast quality avids, sx or digi. Of course as I mentioned, the really high stuff (I don't do) is shot on Digi, HD or film...

Knock on wood --- things are gettin' tough all over...Just read the CNN thread - and others like it... :mad: :(

Status
Not open for further replies.