would you vo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank McBride

On the original question of:

Do you:

a. give info to desk to pass on to a writer and have an anchor vo your live pix

b. slap on a lav and discribe the scene yourself, yes your voice will be on air

At my station the answer would almost always be a. The photog phoner or clipping on the lav is reserved for extreme situations like disasters. We have enough to concentrate on trying to get the best pictures and sound. Plus, we simply aren't trained/experienced as well as anchors and reporters in what to say and, more importantly, what NOT to say.

For example, the gas main situation you described: Unless this has the potential to affect a large number of people or set off other fires or explosions, the "breaking news" part is limited to a flame shooting up into the air. Good video, but it doesn't require someone at the scene to describe it. Your video says it all. Pass what facts you can gather on to the producer and let the anchors talk over the "dramatic pictures".

If you were voicing the shot, once you get past the initial facts, you probably will just start describing what you are showing and maybe even jumping to conclusions like saying nobody appears to be injured when for all you know there is somebody trapped in that backhoe.

We gather and pass on information correctly every day, but when you are following action, adjusting camera settings and trying to stay safe in a dangerous situation, trying to act as reporter at the same time could distract you enough that mistakes are made. (More than usual :) )

That being said, I have done them in the past, and I found it very hard to put sentences together because I was doing so much at once. I would start answering an anchor's question without knowing what I was going to say.

As an aside, I once did a phoner during flooding, describing the rising waters. The anchor said, "It must be difficult driving out there. I hope you're in a high-profile vehicle." My reply (to my horror) was, "Oh, it has the Channel 6 logos on it. It's well marked." No distractions. Just my feeble brain.

FMc

newsdude477

I think the only situation I would consider doing it would be a MAJOR breaking event. And it would only be my voice. I'm behind the camera for a reason. :)

satpimp

Oh Boy a fun one!!!

Very often Photogs make for great Mic stands..Please no offense meant! A photog sees and thinks visually..ergo a description from a photog of a breaking story sounds and feels very immediate and compelling. Think old school radio when an announcer had to carry the story as a visual through an aural medium. Great stuff when done well. Most reporters (not all) have been taught to write to video. (rightly so) Without the pics they sometimes miss the drama.

I had a chopper pilot once we would mic up all the time. He was awesome. I asked him once how he learned to be so smooth. He said he got his practice in Vietnam giving recon info over the radio while enroute to missions. Made sense to me.

My one appearence on camera in a breaking news situation was laughable. I was 22 had no interest to be on camera and looked like the living dead. I sounded remarkably coherent but my nerves drained the blood from my entire body.

Quasi related funny anecdote: I did a live shot once with Tony Curtis. His window slid for 10 minutes b/c breaking news. His quote... "breaking news is like breaking wind. Let it out to soon and stinks even more."

I'm all for giving them the live pics & info over the phone. I'd even consider the lav mic or the phoner, but if you want a live 'report' send a REPORTer. If you want 'photos' send a PHOTOgrapher. If you want both, send both.

mattyboy

i would just do what was asked of me. one time i was the only one at the scene and the producer asked me to go live. there was no way in hell i was going to do it. simply gave the limited info that i had and gave them a live pic. like many have said...im on the other side of the camera for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.