Working with stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHX Shooter

Hi there,
Curious about how sales/package submissions are done to local news desks. For example, let's say you covered a news worthy event and provided 2-3 minutes of b-roll along with the story highlights that go along with it. What is the going rate for something like that?

I shoot for local events and figure most of the time the client will be paying for a VNR. But in cases where I'm on hand for a story, how do I best work with a station.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Are region, so any insights are appreciated. I've also been told that if you're not in the union, some stations won't accept your tape (i.e. KGO). Is this common?

Just trying to get a handle on how it all works and how as a freelancer I should expect to work.

tdelarm

Well...I can tell you in Los Angeles the average rate for "stringer tape" is $150. Now, keep in mind if you sell that same footage to all the stations you get that rate from each station. Sell it as exclusive footage and the rate goes up. It's possible if you have a ton of stuff you could get more - I could always ask my desk for you.

Normal process...call the assignment desk and ask if they are interested in what you have. FOX KTTV buys stuff pretty much every day I believe. Especially overnight footage. Also, I believe they only pay if they use the footage because we are required to log any stringer footage we use accordingly.

Stringers in Los Angeles are not required to be union. If San Francisco requires it then you should get a union rate for your footage which I would believe to be more then $150

One last thing - not all photographers (mostly freelance) like stringers so don't always believe what they may tell you. Call and ask the assignment desk and get the correct answers.

Photographer

I freelance in the San Francisco Bay Area. Before I say anything just for the record I don't hate stringers or have a negative opinion of stringers.

Let me clear something up. Stations don't buy news stories or video of events. They buy video of breaking news events such as shootings or house fires from stringers. When a station gets a VNR they get it for free. The company the VNR comes from pays for the VNR. If the story your at is news worthy the station will either send a reporter and photog or just a photog but they won't buy the video.

You can double check what I've said with the assignment desk at any of the stations. If an event is news worthy enough they will send one of their own.

Dave K.

I've been approached several FOX stations in central Florida to provide news coverage, they are only paying $50 per clip.

What's the best way to get the clip to the station? I'm 80 miles away, one way, and sure don't want to drive it in. Is there a way to format the clip so it can be emailed? What's the best editing software?

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.