What to buy?

NoJobTog

I am thinking about putting together a home editing suite, and looking for sugggestions. I would like to go with FCP or Avid. Either way I go, I am going to have to purchase a new computer so that I can run the software.

If I go with FCP, I am considering a Mac Pro Book to use as my editor so that I can be mobile. If I go the Avid route, I will probably build my own PC tower.

My goal is to offer a DVD Authoring service, Transfering Home Movies to DVD, freelance editing, and maybe shooting weddings and events to start out.

Any suggestions, or personal experiences doing this?

gwedits

Portability is nice but...

In the case of FCP, you will have to buy several other pieces of hardware to run monitors and also an external RAID. You don't want to have your project and footage on the same drives.

Personally, I don't know have people can run FCP off a laptop. You will be constantly squinting at the little monitor trying to find anything. I just taught a class with one and need an eye exam!

My 2 cents...

Chugach3DGuy

I am thinking about putting together a home editing suite, and looking for sugggestions. I would like to go with FCP or Avid. Either way I go, I am going to have to purchase a new computer so that I can run the software.

If I go with FCP, I am considering a Mac Pro Book to use as my editor so that I can be mobile. If I go the Avid route, I will probably build my own PC tower.

My goal is to offer a DVD Authoring service, Transfering Home Movies to DVD, freelance editing, and maybe shooting weddings and events to start out.

Any suggestions, or personal experiences doing this?
For what you're trying to do, I'd recommend going with a tower. I find that trying to edit lots of video on a laptop is a bit more troublesome than its worth. Its not bad when I have a relatively small amount of video that I need to produce a commercial with, or when I need to start from scratch in After Effects or 3ds Max, but laptop hard drives are just too dang small and slow to accomplish much with the same ease as a desktop system. Now, if you could get one of those monstrous laptops with space for 3 internal hard drives, you'd be set- but those are more expensive and big and clunky. Also, editing video is fairly intensive, so make sure you have extra batteries or a power source nearby.

For transferring home movies to DVD, I've found that nothing beats the speed and ease of a consumer-grade basic DVD recorder. Most come with a VCR built in, so all you'd need to hook up would be a MiniDV or Hi-8 deck, and BAM! You just turn it on and walk away. Then your computer is free for you to work on, and those DVD recorders are only like $200, so you're not breaking the bank.

It all depends on your style. I think you'll probably be more comfortable working on a desktop system, but if you're trying to offer "same day turnaround" or something like that, a laptop might be the way to go.

grassland

If you're editing any flavor of DV ( DVcam, DV, or DVCpro 25, DVCpro 50, DVCpro HD) you'll only need Mac Pro or Mac Power Book and an external Firewire drive (400 or 800) with a speed of at least 7200 rpm. You can use your camera to capture footage until you can afford a deck at which time you can view your edited program on a monitor (if you're working in SD) by routing through the deck using the firewire connection.

As to the choice of a tower or a laptop, I just got a call from a client that wanted a DVcam shoot with on-site editing. Without a laptop, I'd have to decline the gig, haul my tower on-site or rent something. Plus, there is something cool about editing video at Starbucks, on an airplane, or in your hotel room for showing the next morning.

One nice thing about Final Cut is that it is beautifully integrated for producing and burning DVDs on the same platform you're editing on.

Good Luck.

Shocker

I'm currently considering the same thing. I have settled on an AVID system because I can get a HP desktop that has more than enough power to run Media Composer 3 for under $1000. I will need to upgrade the OS to Vista Ultimate for AVID, around $150. Media Composer 3 is about $2000, including a DVD authoring program.

All in all, it's cheaper than the Apple solution. The Apple desktop would be about $2500 and Final Cut Studio is about $2500.

I've always used AVID so I am more comfortable with it. If I'm spending that much money, I'm buying the system I like using.

Minnesotan

I believe you can legally install FCP on a desktop and a laptop as long as they're not networked. Final Cut Studio also has Motion, DVD Studio Pro, Color, Compressor, Livetype, and Soundtrack for $1,299.00 not $2500.

For what you're doing right now, Final Cut Express may also be an option. I've used it and it has most of what you'd need for what you're going to do now and save $1000.

Necktie Boy

A laptop is fun if you editing small projects, but it does get a little uncomfortable if you try to do it all day. I rather sit with my PC with the 24 inch monitor than a tiny 15 inch monitor on the laptop. Down the road, if you plan to edit HD video, Avid would cost more to do HD than FCP. With a $1000 card or box, you can monitor and record HD. Avid's HD card is still a costly item. And don't forget the drives.

If you just plan to dub "home movies", Chugach3DGuy has the right idea. Stick in the tape and DVD, hit the button and it's done in a couple of hours. A stand-alone DVD/VHS will do the trick.

I'm actually socking away money for this as well right now. I decided to go with fcp because I have not been happy with avid as of late. One thing to watch out for other than ordering the proper hardware is that apple is supposed to be releasing a new version of the mac book pro in October. I am personally holding out to see if it is worth it for what they are adding in terms of hardware or if I should just get a old version cheap.

NoJobTog

Thanks for all the feedback, right now I think I am leaning more towards FCP as oposed to Avid.

Right now the station I am at we use Avids, and I am a lot more familiar with it than I am with FCP.However, as of late I have seen more of a demand for FCP in freelance work than I have Avids. Most of the folks that i have talked to that are in college and are using FCP as well.
I have been approached in the past by college students that are looking for help with resume tapes, does anyone have experience doing this for generating revenue?

2 Hungry Dogs

I just went through this as my old Avid was no longer reliable. I went to NAB really trying to decide, and was disappointed hen both bailed out.

However the thing that really turned me was that everybody who was doing a demonstration was using FCP. Also the only way I could do both my old analogue Beta and HD was if I got the top of the line $10k Avid box. I think my Kona card for FCP was around $1k

Avid doesn't care about the little guys anymore. The industry has changes, and FCP is a full functioning high end system with everything you need to start producing right out of the gate.

Necktie Boy

I should add that if you want to say with a PC, Premiere Pro is a great choice. Has all the features of FCP and is bundled with AF, Photoshop, Soundbooth, and On-Location. A great feature is that all the Adobe Family talks to each other. Also supports third party cards.

TexasDave

plus if you're an avid transfer to FCP (like I was), drop $99 and get the apple training at the apple store. It buys you 1 hour a week for a full year. That way you can work out the details and keystrokes that may be different.

2 Hungry Dogs

plus if you're an avid transfer to FCP (like I was), drop $99 and get the apple training at the apple store. It buys you 1 hour a week for a full year. That way you can work out the details and keystrokes that may be different.
Absolutely. It's real basic training, but can really help you get up to speed. Just make sure that training for the Pro aps is available at the store in your area. Not all stores offer training on the Pro apps.

They are not a replacement for real training, and I have already stupped two of their trainers on a question with DVD studio Pro, on something that turned out to be pretty simple. But they can help you get the basics under control pretty quickly

The other thing with fcp to keep in mind is that they have user groups that meet in many areas on a monthly basis. I have found the local group here in Dallas very helpful when I did have editing questions.