Verizon decides to screw its current customers

dcrowe

Agreed, and I'm one of the screwed ones as well. I've been holding out almost as long as you for the iPhone...

Supposedly you can use one more 'new every two' upgrade past January 16, then you are removed from the program.

Tom Servo

More incentive for me to keep my HTC Droid. It's a good, solid phone that does everything I want it to do (and then some) without breaking. I suppose they don't want me to buy their new shiny toys, do they, and by extension they don't want me to sign a 2 year agreement like I'd have to if I used the "new every two" plan, which means if they irritate me I can bounce to another network without any financial penalties. Since I no longer have a penalty-incentive to stay with Verizon, I guess they'd better hope they keep their network at the top, because if they get eclipsed by someone else, they're going to have a lot of customers jumping ship without any restrictions in place to stop it.

svp

More incentive for me to keep my HTC Droid. It's a good, solid phone that does everything I want it to do (and then some) without breaking. I suppose they don't want me to buy their new shiny toys, do they, and by extension they don't want me to sign a 2 year agreement like I'd have to if I used the "new every two" plan, which means if they irritate me I can bounce to another network without any financial penalties. Since I no longer have a penalty-incentive to stay with Verizon, I guess they'd better hope they keep their network at the top, because if they get eclipsed by someone else, they're going to have a lot of customers jumping ship without any restrictions in place to stop it.
I said I'd never go with AT&T but I'm going to wait and see if the mass exodus eases the strain on their network and increases their system's reliability. If so, I'll get an AT&T iPhone just out of protest. I hate it but I have to get an iPhone. I'm going to sign up at paywaremobile.com so I can get a credit card reader for the iPhone and start taking credit cards on the go. At this point, I'm ready to say screw Verizon.

ntxshooter

Just under the wire

I just got my Droid Incredible two weeks ago under the new every two. Man I feel lucky.

Chugach3DGuy

I said I'd never go with AT&T but I'm going to wait and see if the mass exodus eases the strain on their network and increases their system's reliability. If so, I'll get an AT&T iPhone just out of protest. I hate it but I have to get an iPhone. I'm going to sign up at paywaremobile.com so I can get a credit card reader for the iPhone and start taking credit cards on the go. At this point, I'm ready to say screw Verizon.
Have you every considered jail-breaking an iphone so you can use it on a different network? I've been seeing 3GS iPhones pop up on Craigslist for a fair amount from time to time in my area, so that might be an option to ponder. I personally haven't done it to my phone, but I know several people that that have.

I've been noticing a LOT of small businesses ditching their credit card machines and using their iPhones instead. One thing that's intrigued me is some of the similar apps for the iPad. People seem to like the bigger screen, and if it is something you aren't going to use very often, you don't have to pay for the 3G service. iPads have a non-committal month-by-month thing, so you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars each year if you're not using it.

Tom Servo

Verizon uses CDMA. Jailbreaking a Verizon phone won't allow it to work on AT&T because AT&T is a GSM network.

svp

I got a call from Verizon today asking if I wanted to sign up to get my iPhone Feb. 3rd. I said no thanks if you're not going to honor the discount I've been holding onto for the last three years. She informed me that I would have to upgrade soon as my phone will not work on their system beginning in June. I told her I guess I'll be leaving Verizon and going somewhere else then. I'm still very irrate at Verizon.

Tom Servo

According to their releases, Verizon will honor the new-every-two discount if you already have one pending. It's only new accounts created after Jan 16 of this year that don't get it.