Union or non

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

audiocam

Are there any freelancers who have joined NABET? What is your opinion of the union and has it helped you in getting work from the networks? Any other thoughts on the subject and Thanks.

tdelarm

I'll be straight up and honest with you on this one...unions don't work for you in every situation but I can tell you this...with out them in Los Angeles we would be eat-in alive...example...NABET for FOX LA lost the working 8-days in a row clause as being overtime in the last contract and what do you know...I'm working 8 days in a row at straight time...you give it to them and they will take it...plus...the union entry wage scales coupled with my experience puts me into the "o'h my god bracket"...my experience and their bargining ability has rewarded me well these past 12 years...However...I do work my ass off for the wage I make.

Unions are not for every market but I think the idea should be looked at.

Flaca Productions

you get X number of grace days per year - the amount escapes me at the moment. just work the union gigs without joining - if you exceed the amount allowed, NABET will contact you and remind you that its time to join. if you don't work enough days, no need to join. i don't think that you'll get more days by joining from the start. my $.02 worth.

Baltimore Shooter

Yeah, I have to admit as a freelancer w/ gear the unions (NABDT & IBEW) have doner nothing for me. I have always made more money when I work non-union. For example, I'm sure you've been reading about the big CNN brew-ha-ha that happened recently. Well, under the union contract they paid $1,050 or $1,100 (can't remember which) for a 2 person crew w/ gear. Now, without NABET in the picture, they're paying $1,275. Doing the math, I come out with a better deal by working non-union than union.

This is only the latest example. I've nopticed over the last 7 or 8 yrs that I make more money working non-union and I get paid within 30 days, instead of this bullsh** 60-90 day stuff.

With all respect to Mark Peach, NABET 31 Pres. who was a freelancer before becoming President, there's still a long way to go for freelancers to get a fair deal under a union contract. I can't say about how the union is towards staffers, never having been a union staffer, I can just tell you that I get a better deal as a freelancer by being non-union.
Warren

Hiding Under Here

At the network level, the unions have nothing to do with equipment rental rates. Those are set by the companies. The hourly labor rates are the domain of the unions.

I believe, that no matter how the unions have failed in other areas, the hourly rates would be lower without union negotiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.