Teachers' Job Fair

ferlonjr

Hello again everyone, I tried what many have been telling me helps the story i.e., getting a character, I'm trying to be more involved in the storytelling process, helping the reporter out. I'm not sure I shot this well, I wish I had an earpiece (which I will wear from now on) to hear her conversations then I would not have cut the shot or zoomed in and out as I was shooting her (following her around). One of the opening shots I think is kind of confusing for the viewers, but I did try my best. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as always, and thanks in advance!

Here it is:

http://vimeo.com/23429430

By the way I should have varied my tripod height, but I didn't get the advice until after I shot this from Oscar! I should have known, but I'll definitely be doing it from now on!

Last edited:

Latin Lens

Ferlon...what a tremendous step forward with this piece...I know what opening shot you are referring to that the viewer won't understand but thats because you can't see too much of whats going on...loved the shooting through thing...it just didn't work with that particular shot because you can't see her but nice try and effort. Nice establishing shot...good nat gathering and usage for natpops...good variety of shooting...good character...but there is a little still to work on. I guess I'd like to know a little more about her from her own mouth to help me identify with her as a viewer...kinda like the cute stuff to help establish herself as the central character in the piece...but I guess thats just preference so not that big of a deal but I think had you approached it that way...it could have made your good piece even better...just small stuff like..."I don't think I could teach math"...or "I don't know where Pondonk school district is...oh well, they're hiring."...just some salt and pepper that really gives her personality. The trouble about interviewing people in a loud room is audio...try and take the subject further away from the noise so its a little more quiet and fade the interview audio just a hair better so its not so abrupt...you're still in the element just not in the center of the room...change your shot heights...like how you found some "natural" wipes with people moving around...there was one jumpcut from interview to b-roll but thats the challenge sometimes...find enough tight shot cutaways to work around that issue. Maybe find a better closing shot and nat to prove the challenge of her looking and talking to so many folks...something cute again like...."My mouth is tired from talking so much...but I hope it pays off."...really gives me closure and hope for the young lady. Just more stuff to think about. Great job Ferlon...looks like your taking the advice to heart and it shows. Good job here.

ferlonjr

Thanks so much Oscar, I really appreciate it!!! Yeah, I've been trying really hard to take everything you guys say to heart. It's always good advice and everytime I go out I'm thinking about what you guys tell me. Like today when I was out I varied my tripod height and tried some more creative shots (I'll have to post the story when I get home, I did have the same problem with loud music in the background, but I should have pulled my subject further away from the music). Anywho, yeah I've just been trying to get better each time out. I see what you mean about getting more of her personality to connect with her, that would have really helped, and that is why I am going to be wearing my earpiece from now on so I can pay more attention to things like that. I'm glad you liked the story, I tried really hard at it, and I'm glad it's paying off! Thanks again for the compliment, critique, and advice! Have a good one!

TXTechPhoto

Nice job man, nice steady shots, and you varied your focal length well. Also, good job centralizing a character.

But, I would shoot less hands and more of faces. You missed a good opportunity to introduce Tiffany. When the reporter says Tiffany we need to see her face in a close-up or the NPPA guys might tell ya an extreme close-up. This is the first time we see her, we need to meet her visually. Also hands and feet for that matter very rarely tell stories, avoid shooting them unless it serves your story, like you did in one of your other stories with the foot shaking at the DMV, that was a good time to shoot a foot.

As Latin Lens said find a closing shot, and your there man! Nice job again! Very clean and smooth.

ferlonjr

Nice job man, nice steady shots, and you varied your focal length well. Also, good job centralizing a character.

But, I would shoot less hands and more of faces. You missed a good opportunity to introduce Tiffany. When the reporter says Tiffany we need to see her face in a close-up or the NPPA guys might tell ya an extreme close-up. This is the first time we see her, we need to meet her visually. Also hands and feet for that matter very rarely tell stories, avoid shooting them unless it serves your story, like you did in one of your other stories with the foot shaking at the DMV, that was a good time to shoot a foot.

As Latin Lens said find a closing shot, and your there man! Nice job again! Very clean and smooth.
Hey thanks man, I appreciate it! I agree with what you say about introducing Tiffany, the problem I guess was that I was lacking shots and I tried to use the "shooting through" shot I had but that didn't work, so I tried to slowly introduce her I guess, which really didn't work. I'll keep the extreme close-up in mind, just thinking about it, I can see exactly what you mean, it will put you right there with them. When I was shooting hands, I guess I was trying to find close-up shots so that I can cut from shot to shot, but would that have worked with shooting faces? I mean could I have still sequenced?

Thanks again for the critique and advice and I will begin to find closing shots (and opening shots). I think I got a pretty good one yesterday, I still need to post that story! I appreciate it all and have a good one!

Just want to echo what the other guys have already said, it was a great step forward. I really liked to way you got your nat sound from Tiffany. It made the story move along at a nice pace. Keep it up man!

Latin Lens

Thanks so much Oscar, I really appreciate it!!! Yeah, I've been trying really hard to take everything you guys say to heart. It's always good advice and everytime I go out I'm thinking about what you guys tell me. Like today when I was out I varied my tripod height and tried some more creative shots (I'll have to post the story when I get home, I did have the same problem with loud music in the background, but I should have pulled my subject further away from the music). Anywho, yeah I've just been trying to get better each time out. I see what you mean about getting more of her personality to connect with her, that would have really helped, and that is why I am going to be wearing my earpiece from now on so I can pay more attention to things like that. I'm glad you liked the story, I tried really hard at it, and I'm glad it's paying off! Thanks again for the compliment, critique, and advice! Have a good one!
That earpiece will become another piece of invaluable equipment in your tool box. Unless the reporter is following along every step of the way with you...this is your oppurtunity to help in the storytelling process...ask her questions as shes waiting to talk to someone...like "how do you feel?"...or "nervous?"...or "how do think that went?"...stuff like that. Quick answers that could lead to great nat pops and add the personality sprinkle you need to really make the story shine. Get involved...then get involved more...baby steps with huge results to show. Seriously...don't get lazy on us. Its hard work to keep this level up...day in day out. The more fun you have the easier it will become.

ferlonjr

I'll definitely keep that in mind Oscar, I've been trying to involve myself in the story more, because I've noticed that the better photogs out there are always more involved, so that intrigued me. And I'll definitely do my best not to get lazy, I was actually thinking about that yesterday. I don't want to just become be a cookie cutter shooter again, and I want to keep myself motivated to be one of the best. I think I should join the NPPA so I can involve myself in those competitions, I think that'll help with continuing to shoot better, and staying motivated.

Do you think that one can stay at his first news station and continue to get better after a while (been here 6 months), or should I leave to get better at a better station? (I mean I want to give myself time, but did you get better when you moved up the markets, or at your first station, and take the skills you learned there to the newer station? I know the question is kind of long). I guess the question is, can you only get so good at this station without getting any better?

Thanks in advance Oscar!

Latin Lens

Short question...Long answer

I'll definitely keep that in mind Oscar, I've been trying to involve myself in the story more, because I've noticed that the better photogs out there are always more involved, so that intrigued me. And I'll definitely do my best not to get lazy, I was actually thinking about that yesterday. I don't want to just become be a cookie cutter shooter again, and I want to keep myself motivated to be one of the best. I think I should join the NPPA so I can involve myself in those competitions, I think that'll help with continuing to shoot better, and staying motivated.

Do you think that one can stay at his first news station and continue to get better after a while (been here 6 months), or should I leave to get better at a better station? (I mean I want to give myself time, but did you get better when you moved up the markets, or at your first station, and take the skills you learned there to the newer station? I know the question is kind of long). I guess the question is, can you only get so good at this station without getting any better?

Thanks in advance Oscar!
Well...there's a little yes and no answer to your question...while their is a ceiling wherever you go...there's no ceiling when it comes to creativity...and if you do your research and you find a station has a commitment to quality storytelling then hopefully the photogs are a bunch of great guys to learn from. Its not about just entering contests that will help you get better...it resources...like the DVDs and courses you can attend that will be the greatest avenue of development. Their are techniques to becoming a great video storyteller and the courses help you with that in various situations. There's a story everywhere you go no matter the situation...find it...mold it...tell it. Some are harder then others but thats the beauty of this business...you'll get another shot tomorrow...sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. I have creatively failed more times than I was successful but I can't perfect it nor get better at it if I don't try. Making mistakes early is a blessing in disguise for you. The story ceiling is what will start to get to you after awhile where you're at... you'll need a different market with different challenges to stay sharp...but that doesn't mean bigger market...there are great small market stations all over the country...there are great medium market stations and large market stations...you just need to find the station and city for you and your lifestyle (happiness). Take your time...don't rush...desperation is what will lead you to make bad decisions in this business.