Summits, Bootcamps, Seminars, Consultants, Workshops and advice

eb

There's a lot of educational events, bootcamps, seminars, consultants, contests, workshops and advice out there.

There's no doubt in my mind that the NPPA is providing the best product. This week's Portland Summit has it all. From every angle. Anyone not able to attend, might be able to get some updates/pictures/articles from the NPPA site. Just FYI.

http://www.nppa.org/

Tdomi74

Blumer:
I would disagree, in some areas yes the NPPA is providing the best product. Other crucial areas they are simply out of date. Yes, the Portland Summit might have it all. I hope they make the 20% profit manadated to all educational events.

Some Guy in LA

NPPA has a strong card of educational seminars.

Poynter (poynter.org) also has terrific, invaluable, and thought provoking seminars to attend...both on their campus in Florida and on the road. One can attend both...and gain so very much. It's apples and oranges.

Also, check out theworkshops.com for hands-on training...lighting, Avid...so much more.

SGILA

eb

No doubt there are other quality products. I have not been to Maine, nor others...so perhaps I shouldn't have sounded so definitive. Obviously, those Maine workshops are outstanding..perhaps the best.

And yes Brad, the NPPA can improve.

I just happened to look over the Portand lineup this morning...and was impressed - so I wrote what I was thinking at the time. The Portland lineup looks pretty strong - cross the board - for anybody wanting to learn about video journalism, photojournalism, multi media, etc... It looks like it packs a punch.

The education at Portland might be more of a benefit to younger videojournalists, than veterans, however. Over the decades, NPPA has taught a lot of people to shoot, edit, and produce. Even if you weren't an NPPA member, you probably benefited from NPPA education.

Last edited:

Tdomi74

Blumer:
I will agree with both you and Les about the educational benefits for newer photographers. Heck I wouldn't be the photographer I am today if it weren't for the NPPA. That is something postive I'll say about the organization for the rest of my life.

Like many others be it on this message board or others in the NPPA, there needs to be more offered to those in there mid-career or a wildly vets of the NPPA. After another status quo board meeting only makes me wonder as a vet if it's all worth my membership dollars. Thats not a slam against them, just a stated fact.

AB

Agreed

Blumer:

Like many others be it on this message board or others in the NPPA, there needs to be more offered to those in there mid-career or a wildly vets of the NPPA. After another status quo board meeting only makes me wonder as a vet if it's all worth my membership dollars. Thats not a slam against them, just a stated fact.
Eric,

That about sums up my feelings. I've been a member for 13 years.

I've volunteered, put on local events, been a regional chair, etc. I think it's a great learning tool and will always turn younger phojos towards the organization.

But what am I getting for my dollar these days? For the last couple of years I've re-upped because I felt I "owed" it to the organization for making me a better journalist. But without anything tangent to show for it, I'm questioning my logic.

KsPhotog

I don't know how you can say there is nothing for those of us that have been doing this for awhile. I just got back from Portland and saw some amazing work. It's just what I need for my yearly "pick me up" to get me motivated again. I see and learn new things and catch up with old friends.