Story Perspective

AB

While reading the new issue of "News Photographer", I see Mark Anderson is was featured in the "Where are they now" segment.

This segment looks at where past National POYs are now, written by Doug Legore (a past winner himself).

When I was first new to the NPPA, it was Mark Anderson's work that inspired me most. While I never worked for him, watching his work definitely brought the best effort out in my own work.

I still think the story about the noise from the Air Force jets affecting the Amish country is one of the finest local news stories I've seen. That along with Rob Macey's camp for handicapped kids in Phoenix (that story inspired me to go work for that station even though Rob had left).

Anyway, in the magazine article, Mark talks about a story from his POY tape. It was about a homeless man playing a wicked Jimi Hendrix on the guitar. Mark says it was his favorite piece on his entry. One of those fancy "NPPA type" stories that make the judges ooh and ahh.

While he's still proud of the piece, Mark now says he wished he had dug deeper and found the real story, that of what this homeless man was going through. What did he do with the money he played for?

Even though it was a great feature, years later Mark feels as though he didn't get the full story.

I found this insight very refreshing.

I'm not claiming to be on par with Mark Anderson, but I too have thought about past stories I was proud of at the time and thought "that was nice, but was that the true story?"

I was just wondering who else felt about their past work like that. And from the NPPA standpoint, is content being considered when judging contests over style?

I know, you sell the sizzle, not the steak, but while I've enjoyed some of the stories the past few years on the NPPA DVD, I've more often been left with a feeling of, "that's nice, but....".

Maybe I'm just getting old quick and don't appreciate the whiz/bang effects of the new guys. Maybe it's a game for the MTV generation. The only problem is my version of MTV is J.J. Jackson, Alan Hunter, Nina Blackwood, Martha Quinn and Mark Goodman.

Rad

This brings up a good point for me... not about the story but about the NPPA. I've been thinking about re-joining. I let my membership slide simply because I felt the NPPA wasn't really offering me anything. Beyond the contest, which back then the rules didn't really allow me to enter much work, I never got the sense it was offering me much.

Now reading that the latest issue of the magazine has a feature on one former POY writing about another former POY, kind of makes me remember why I left. It always seemed to be a tight knit group that left little room for except through invitation. And of focused on the past work of the few instead of the future work of others.

I could be wrong, and I hope I am, and I'm trying to find a reason to re-join. So am I taking this whole topic out of context? Truly, viewing examples of the Mark Anderson and others helped to to grow my own style... but now what?

micaelb

I read the "Where Are They Now" article because Mark has been an inspiration to me too, as a photojournalist and a newsroom leader.

I think about what I could have done differently on almost every story or project I've put a lot of time and effort into. It's not so much second guessing as it is looking at how I could have better captured and presented what I saw. I figure if I stick with this for another 20 years or so I'll eventually get it right.

I've enjoyed seeing what the former POYs are up to. It's been a series, this is the 9th story. Does it matter to me that a POY is writing about a POY? Not really, I hadn't thought about it in those terms.

And Rad, what the NPPA can offer you is a chance to mentor a new videographer who wants to learn from someone who has seen a lot over his career or you can be a voice for the future of video storytelling. Maybe you can help shape the video contests as the way the news is delivered changes. I know there are a lot of TV people, especially those with a lot of experience, who wonder what the NPPA can do for them. I wish there was a good "bumper sticker" answer.

woodsiecam

growth

Any photog who can look back at their work and think "I couldn't have done any better" is a photog who has given up.

These words may sound harsh, but they ring true. We can always improve, NO MATTER WHAT. And people like Mark and Doug set the bar high enough to keep us jumping.

To "Rad" -

This is a job rooted in passion. But other people can't put the passion in you. Your post sounds very "victim-esk". Like you wonder why no one "made" you a better photog. Well, you are a victim of your own will. Why rejoin NPPA? BECAUSE YOU WANT TO GET BETTER!

Sure, you can sit and have a victim attitude about it. Or you can find ways to stay excited and become a "Mark" or a "Doug". It's not gonna happen by giving up.

I had the wonderful privilege of working with Doug. And from that experience, something became clear... It's not about us. It's about the stories. It's about telling the stories of people who have no voice. THAT IS WHAT WE DO. Yes, we have to fight with a bunch of b.s. in the newsroom to do it, but when push comes to shove, we get it done. We are story tellers. That is what we do.

I think Paul Rosemarine said it best in my favorite piece to date...

"You don't have to have anything else but memories".

goodfoot

I'm with AB,
I was able to see Mark at the 2000 workshop and the Amish story is still one of the best local news stories I have ever seen (Friday Squad is the other). Getting to meet Mark and see his work was a huge inspiration for me, if you read this Mark, Thanks!