Storm Shooters

Gripper

I saw the video from the family that was outside of their own home on CNN. First of all, those guys were NUTS! They were extremely lucky because the tornado skipped their block but the destruction on the other side of their home was horrendus. Why would u want to be outside with all the debris flying around that close to you. I love chasing but I ALWAYS want to be a safe distance away that my life is never really in danger.

woodsiecam

yeah, the guys who shot video just 100 yards from the tornado probably don't realize how close they were to death. you can see 100lb tree branches flying out of the twister, and landing on the edge of their driveway. one of those could have easily been tossed into the guy in the front door.

that aside, it would have been nice to be up there. how often do you get to chase in November?! i used to work for KCCI in Des Moines, and it sounds like those guys were all over the storms, kicking the crap out of the competition. We'll see how it translates for ratings.

RichVid

Here they go again...The weather is boiling up in the Midwest and the storm shooters are out again...I'm just jealous because shooting this stuff looks like a hell of an experience....but I'm sorry, I just WOULD NOT stand in front of the camera and blabber while a Tornado spins in the background...I mean, it's nature at work...why stand in front of it and try to be a weatherman...It needs no introduction!

Sentinel94

I'm a big fan of those yahoo's who hoot and holler at such things. I can understand the awe of the tornado, but understand something: someone is probably going to DIE you HICK!!!! If they don't, someone probably lost EVERYTHING!!!

"Hi, I'm Earth...have we met?"

Nice job Kristen! Good use of timelapse and great nat pops. Did you produce it solo or did you have some help in the field? The best part, while it was long, I felt it flowed well...you told a story rather than jumbling together a bunch of random bites like most people's photo-essays. Besure to send that to contest. Was that a day turn or a couple days of work?

Woodsiecam...I know you liked this story...fess up!

Is there anyway I could get a higher resolution copy of the story?
SV

KsPhotog

That was great! You had some great shots of lightning in there. I always have a hard time getting that. Glad you had fun!

backfocus5

Sentinel94 said:
I'm a big fan of those yahoo's who hoot and holler at such things. I can understand the awe of the tornado, but understand something: someone is probably going to DIE you HICK!!!! If they don't, someone probably lost EVERYTHING!!!

"Hi, I'm Earth...have we met?"

I am in complete agreement with you. Just shoot the damn tornado and keep your mouth shut. Be reverent to the fact that you are witnessing someone's lifetime of work being detroyed in an instant or worse, someone being killed!

I'm one of those photogs who just shoots video and keeps his mouth shut. I leave the commentary to the reporter or anchor or meteorologist.

"You want fries with that!?"

Thanks for the feedback. I was all by myself following people who paid to be driven around by stormchasers. Spent about a week, did some daily blogs and some slideshows. Then spent a couple of days to edit. Most of the time was spent driving. It gave me a whole new appreciation for stormchasers and what they have to go through to get a shot of a tornado.

Dedline

hey great job Kristen. Nice to see you're still doing great work. Met you at Poynter with Lane Christensen's weeklong seminar. Keep it up!

Henry R.

Sharp Shooter

Great piece of work! A week shooting, huh! Great to have the time to do it. 18 years of shooting local news and have yet to see a twister.
Today looks promising though.:)

S.S.