Proposed olympic event "The Over Under."

At the scene

That is fantastic!!! I usually get this dumbfounded look when I tell someone to make sure you over, under the cables. Not many today know what that means never mind how to do it.

Run&Gun

I bet I had already owned my first Betacam for at least three or four years before I ever learned how to over under a cable.

At the scene

I bet I had already owned my first Betacam for at least three or four years before I ever learned how to over under a cable.
Really!! That was the first thing I was taught in college. An easy freshman lesson which we all failed at first.:) I will have to ask if that is even taught today in school.

satpimp

They don't teach over under in most schools. Mine didn't.

The first days of the internship that lead to my fist job, consisted of ambidextrous over under, figure 8, and basic grip instruction.

Followed by days and days of trucking and dollying while staying in reasonable focus on a swinging paint can hung in the middle of the studio. You had to pass that before moving on to chyron, graphics and audio. If you survived you could move to news. Apartments were made available for anyone with a long commute. The building across from the bunkhouse had great wings and Straub and Stoney's ice cold. Everything I learned there has served me well.

The pioneering TV family sold to a corporate media powerhouse. The station remains dominant after many ownership changes. Current staff at all levels came through the training. Long termers driving success.

Sadly I haven't seen a training program like it since. I work with interns here. Once in a while you get a good one. I wish I knew the screening process. Most don't care to see past the bright light they expect will be all theirs.

SamG

The first days of the internship THAT LEAD TO MY FIST JOB, consisted of ambidextrous over under, figure 8, and basic grip instruction.
Sounds like you learned a lot, but I'm not sure the price was worth it.

Just poking fun.

cameragod

I wish I knew the screening process. Most don't care to see past the bright light they expect will be all theirs.
I swear sometimes the person hiring must look at a room full of applicants, point to the one in a straightjacket pounding their head on a door frame and say. "That one looks like he/she is a bit of a Character."

satpimp

I swear sometimes the person hiring must look at a room full of applicants, point to the one in a straightjacket pounding their head on a door frame and say. "That one looks like he/she is a bit of a Character."
You guys are killin!

At the scene

They don't have to, everything is wireless, now. ;)
Ha! Ha! So true, live shot at the ball field yesterday the only wire I had was the BNC from Camera to Dejero. Mics wireless, lights battery operated, ifb phone. Yes had to use the Dejero, Sat truck got a flat on the way over. It worked, hated it but got it done barely!!!:)

prosheditor

I learned about over and under from an audio boom operator when I was a camera PA on a movie while wrangling 100 ft of BNC coax for the video hose from the camera to the village. And as you all know, coax loves to bird nest if you accidentally release some of it, kind of like a ribbon spring.

It took me a few times to get the hang of it and I've never really used it since then. Currently, for long audio & coax runs (if needed) I use plastic handheld storage reels with a sliding floating inner handle & outer crank handle, found at any retail store, for an easy deployment and recovery method.

For my 300 ft multi-channel audio and 250 ft a/v/com/power snakes, I use metal reels with frames. The snakes are all about an inch thick and even my other 50 and 100 ft unreeled jumper snakes get real heavy when manually looped several times.

And let's not forget about heavy, stiff Triax which is like wrestling an anaconda.

As for most feeds now being wireless, on that movie I mentioned, the only thing wireless was the Steadicam video feed to the village with a consumer FM Rx. I remember sitting in my truck about 100 yds from the set tuning it in on my little 4" Sony Watchman. That was a while back and has probably become digitally encrypted by now.

Last edited: