Problem with Avid Media Composer 3.0

Wheatstone Bridge

Have been trying for the past 48 hrs. to talk with someone from Avid but keep getting transfered from one phone voice recording to the other . . . . bad customer relations not as good as Apple with FCP.

Anyhow , I am trying to install Avid Media Composer 3.0 on a Mac.book pro. but Avid wouldn't open because of the following message :

" Exception: couldn't find internal timecode generator template "

Does anyone has any ideas what this means and how it can be corrected ?

Thanks very much.

BlueWing

Lets keep the attitude to a minimum about FCP vs Avid. I'm sure Apple picks up on your first phone call to answer your questions about FCP, and for free!

Anyway, it took about 30 seconds for me to do a search on the Avid web site knowledge base and I came up with this:

"Found multiple shortcuts for Media Composer on the desktop and the Dock. Tested each one and found the correct shortcut, and deleted the old ones. This error was very confusing because the bad shortcuts still launched the application and it went through intializing all the way through Media Streams Manager before it finally errors"

Some users were experiencing errors with the position of the Avid launch logo in the mac dock. If you do not have multiple shortcuts then try moving the launch icon to a different side of the dock. That solve it for most users. Also, try downloading the most current version of MC 3.x for the OS you are using as they have solved many little bugs in the first version.

BlueWing

Here is the address to the Avid site.
http://www.avid.com/

Yes, you will have to spend some time learning how to get around but the forum is the best I have ever used. The knowledge base is also very valuable to find error messages and answers.

If you have a valid version of MC 3.0 you also are entitled to 30 days of free support from Avid. You have to register your product to receive the support.

best,

Wheatstone Bridge

Thanks BlueWing !

It's really not an attitude it's just frustration man . . . . staying up all night , making calls all day and getting nowhere . This non linear editing thing can at times be very frustrating to 'old timers " and it makes it even worse when after solving one problem the other one arises. Anyhow , thanks very much for you assistance.

Wheatstone Bridge

BlueWing . . .

. . . buy the way , I was not "ragging " on Apple , I said that the other people cust. service was not as good as Apple. Thanks again for your assistance.

BlueWing

I understand the frustration, but my point was that Apple does not offer any better customer support than Avid does. You just need to take the time to learn the various customer support avenues that Avid provides. It can be different and take time to work your way through a new system.

Best of luck. And by the way, I may be adding FCP to my arsenal this year, so I will have to go through the same time consuming venture with Apple and FCP.

best,