Personal Websites

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_blank

Thanks Ralph, for jumping in and sticking up for me. I must say though, I never accused anyone here of pimping - all I said is that I myself don't solicit my non camera related services to other posters on this site. That's all. With that being said -- whenever I please, publicly I will pass along free advise such as " make sure you get someone that knows at least a little about "MANUAL" coding.

Also,
sometimes I may publicly write something that may contradict with another poster's views or advise. I WON'T take time from my busy schedule to privately send a message to some anonymous child comin' on here calling me all kinds of nasty names. Ralph, thanks again & no matter how much the "been around the BBS system" spelling-corrector child begs to have a private spelling p#ss, my advise is to forget about the nasty kid. Sorry for the run on sentences. Yeah right!!!

To the webmaster, Nino Lensmith & all the regulars here, I apologize for this waste, as you know, usually I hold my standards higher at this freelance space.

BoomDrive

Originally posted by Ivan:
Also,
sometimes I may publicly write something that may contradict with another poster's views or advise. I WON'T take time from my busy schedule to privately send a message to some anonymous child comin' on here calling me all kinds of nasty names. Ralph, thanks again & no matter how much the "been around the BBS system" spelling-corrector child begs to have a private spelling p#ss, my advise is to forget about the nasty kid. Sorry for the run on sentences. Yeah right!!!
I obviously bruised your precious ego with a simple line:

Originally posted by BoomDrive:
I don't understand people who still insist in coding by-hand.
The funny thing is, nowhere in this response did I mention you. Still, you've taken to the idea that somehow, I was talking about you. If that doesn't show signs of an ego-- well-- nothing does. So, that's why I called you an a-hole. That sure is a whole lot of "nasty names" there.

I'm still betting you never really read my responses anyway. If you did, you'd notice I provided you with a direct link to send me a private message-- twice. I'm wondering: how is your schedule that busy that you don't have the time to click a link, but you do have the time to click a "reply with quote" button? What a weak, paltry claim.

One thing is very evident: you sure do have the time to continue wasting everyone else's time by posting inane drivel in a thread that really had nothing to do with you in the first place. I'm wondering why that is?

Do both of us a favor: move along. This thread has already become ridiculously spammed by your worthless and unprovoked "retaliation."

Oh-- and it's "advice."

ransom

Are you boys settled down yet? I give the name calling and ball swinging a C+ at best. How's about acting more like adults. Ya might not look so stupid to the rest of us :D

How much do people spend to design and then maintain their site? What is the bottom line dollar figure per year?

BoomDrive

Originally posted by ransom:
Are you boys settled down yet? I give the name calling and ball swinging a C+ at best. How's about acting more like adults. Ya might not look so stupid to the rest of us :D
He started it!
:rolleyes:

How much do people spend to design and then maintain their site? What is the bottom line dollar figure per year?
Unfortunately, it's a large range you're talking about. Usually, you'll find small companies paying other companies to build their sites, not individuals paying companies. A lot of decent designers charge from ~$300 on up. You can also tack on domain name registration, hosting, and email-- but with more fees.

If you've got a few buddies in the CS/IT industry, I recommend checking with them. They may be able to point you to a starter company that won't drain your wallet. That's what I did. Buddy of mine does the hosting, I do the designing.

Doing a search through Google to get an idea would probably work. :)

Lensmith

Several of my friends have sites which they paid between US$600 and US$900 to design and set up. Some really beautiful sites to view. With Ivans professional help and kindness, I paid much, much less.

Hosting and registration are the ongoing costs you pay to keep your site alive. I used http://www.register.com to register my site. They, like many registration companies, offer package deals including web design and hosting. I found my a la carte deal with Ivan fit my wallet better.

Ivan found me a great place to host my site which offered a lot of space. Some "free" hosting places only give you one or two pages and charge for additional space. Since my site had to be in two languages, I was looking at double the space.

My hosting is free as long as I let them run the banner ads at the top. I can pay something like US$6 or US$8 bucks a month if I want it ad free...which is not a bad price.

Registering my address name, http://www.latincam.net/ , runs about US$30 a year but...the price varies depending on how many years you want to pay for in advance.

Another thought is to keep your site from looking abandoned or out of date. Like any newstory, try and design it so it's "dateless". Meaning, limit material on the site which will need updating. Things like rates or "here's my latest project to view" type things. It's nice for clients to see the latest but...it costs money every time you want to change something if you're not doing the updates yourself. An example from my site...I used to list all my current rates for work which needed to be changed each year. I found I prefered negotiating the price for work with each client instead of promoting flat rates which might or might not fit into every clients budget. I'm always a better salesman in person ;o)

My friends with sites get charged a couple of hundred dollars each time they want to add pics from their latest jobs or change layout/text information. I think pics showing you working add to customer confidence. They see you working with your gear and have an idea of your level of professionalism. Having a pic of myself on the site has made it easier for the client to know who to look for when they pick me up at the airport for a job too. Generic shots? Fine. Current shots of obvious "dated" events like Super Bowls or WTC coverage? Fine too...as long as you don't leave them up five years from now with nothing newer to show. Current pics have their value but if you're looking to shave overall costs, generic shots can have a longer shelf life.

Lastly, just putting up a site doesn't mean search engines will point people to you right away. A few, like Yahoo, want to charge you a fee to be "found" by their search engine if you are a business. Ivan and a few other designers offer a service which helps search engines find and list your site. This involves a series of key words, sent to each search engine, which will help them list you when potential clients looking for your services do an internet search.

Like anything from home plumbing to auto repair, you can do things all by yourself. I, however, prefered having an experienced professional advise and guide me, giving me the best product with minimum headaches.

Some of my friends with sites have been burned by less than professional web designers and hosts. Do a little research. Find out how long someone has been doing the work. Lots of folks do it as a hobby, which is fine up to a point. Those in it as a hobby many times lack the professional attitude of "responsibility" to their clients. One day they're in business to serve, the next they're bored and don't have time to deal with the tweaking and adjustments all good sites need to look their best.

I

imported_blank

Hey ransom
I looked for a way to contact you but you have no visible e-mail addy nor could I find a link to private message you. (hope you didn't put me on your private message ignore list)

Anyhow since there is no other way for me to contact you - here is a link.
For RANSOM to check out

(Sorry about the silly camera pic, I did that just for fun. :D )

This is a bare bones site for a bare bone price! May be just what you need though --- includes upload to free server, everything. Nothing more to pay. It isn't very pretty but note the price. Prettier can be done but will cost you a little more. Keep in mind that many site owners like Lensmith supply much of their own art work and put HEAVY INPUT into the site to have it tweaked to their liking.

Sorry for the PUBLIC message but there was no other way to get the info you requested to you...
Contact me for more info...

One thing you should keep in mind if getting one of the "FREE" server space deals Lensmith mentioned. They don't give you much support - "often" those free hosts will change hands thus change servers and this leads to "CHANGED PATHS" to things like sendmail (contact forms) or other CGI related services --- sometimes even the IP pointing to your domain name will change and since the free hosts don't care what happens to your site -- you better have a webmaster that will take care of those things -fast --with some kind of warrantee in writing! He/she better know a little manual HTML and CGI to be able to manually find & change those paths....

Hey LS
Try putting in the yahoo search engine this:
"central american television news & documentaries"
Below is the hit I got. Your site is on top of the list. :D
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=central+american+television+news+%26+documentaries&ei=UTF-8&fr=fp-tab-web-t&n=20&fl=0&x=wrt

Status
Not open for further replies.