Personal Websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomDrive

How many of you have your own website for your freelance services or company? Does it prove to be a useful tool to your freelance career?

I'm working on a site right now (HTML is a hobby of mine). Thought I'd toss the question out there and possibly learn something from those who've set up their own websites.

Thanks!

Lensmith

My company website helps me save time.

Several times I've been in the middle of working when a potential client calls wanting information. It's nice to be able to give them a web address for basic information. Then later, if they're interested, we can talk money.

I used to list all my rates on the site but...business is better when I can talk costs in person.

The most important thing I wanted with my web site was for it to load fast. There are a ton of creative photog web sites with all kinds of bells and whistles. The problem? They take forever to load for viewing. Mine covers a lot of information plus it loads fast so I don't lose potential customers who are in a hurry to find a crew.

B-Roll Online has a great person for web site info. Ivan is the man in my book. He helped me find a place to host the site (free) and then made it happen. The guy held my hand through the whole process and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Having the site helps me get the eyes of potential clients. It makes my negotiations easier and, in some ways, sorts through the clients who are serious and those who are just looking for "cheap".

A web site serves the same function as any company sign in front of a store. People need a way to find you and the internet is much better than buying an ad in the Yellow Pages ;o)

Be sure and consider all your costs when deciding where and how to put up a web site. Hosting fees, registering your site address, is money spent above and beyond the initial site design costs. Shop around for someone to help you design your site. Of course you can do it all yourself but...it was great with Ivan because we could brainstorm together for the best product. His experience brought a lot of things to the mix that I hadn't thought of. Everything from design elements to layout.

I know it sounds like I'm giving Ivan a BJ here but his valuable insight made my site better than I could have done it alone.

I've had my site up for almost five years now and it made a difference for me in easing how I do business...not to mention bringing in a few clients apart from my regulars ;o)

I do want to be clear. Having a web site is not going to all of a sudden give you more work than you can handle. It's only one tool among many to use running a business.

BoomDrive

Originally posted by Lensmith:
My company website helps me save time.

Several times I've been in the middle of working when a potential client calls wanting information. It's nice to be able to give them a web address for basic information. Then later, if they're interested, we can talk money.

I do want to be clear. Having a web site is not going to all of a sudden give you more work than you can handle. It only one tool among many to use running a business.
Two very excellent points. I'm actually designing the site myself and a friend is going to host it for me. I love designing sites-- I'd be happy to do it for other photogs. I'd have to figure out those rates, though.
;)

It sounds like the site idea is a great way to provide a frame-of-reference with prospective clients. Now, all I have to do is actually get my foot in the door with those seeking freelancers.
:)

Any suggestions as far as that goes?

dhart

I've been averaging 2-3 jobs a month off my little website. Semaphore Video Cost me less than $500 to get up and running. Takes a while for all the search engines to find your site but once you're in the club producers should be able to find you easily. Good point about refering questions to your website when out shooting another job and you don't have much time to talk. It works well. When a producer can see a list of your gear and credits it's seems to put them at ease. Good luck with yours.

I

imported_blank

Thank you Lensmith. You are a classy guy and a true friend.

I agree with you, we sure " brainstormed together" and I have learned a lot from you as well.

You did leave out the most important reason to have your own website " A place to host your very own avatar for your b-roll profile" ;o) ;o) ;o)

Oh yeah, you all should check out Nino's web site. A true "gear head" :D you should see all the cool toys, not to mention all the cool inventions the man designs.

Nino

Thanks Ivan. My web site, if you can call it that, is as basic as they come. Probably it doesn't even qualify as a "web designing for dummies". It's done mostly on Microsoft Word and with some template that came with the computer. I admit that it should look better. I believe in "show it and not say it", that's why I use a lot still frames from my reels. Pictures are always more credible than words.

I always hated to send out resume and demo reels, now I can direct new clients to my "on line resume". Apparently they must like it because I usually end up with the gig. I can't say that I got jobs directly from my site. New clients might see my name on some of the many directories and go to my site before they call me. Or don't call me.

As soon as things slow down (and in the way that the Buccaneers have been playing it might happen very soon) I'll add a page titled "on location" with a number of stills with different set ups. I'm also planning to add some real demo reel. Ivan, I might need some help in this area, I'll pick your brains if I do.

I second what John said, I hate those sites that have all those graphics and animations and takes forever to get to the meat and potatoes. Unless of course you are in the graphics and animation business. Funny, after they do all that there's the little "skip intro" box.

I'm a firm follower of the KISS movement (Keep It Simple Stupid). And please, get rid of those "Our Mission" pages.

BoomDrive

Originally posted by Nino:
I'm a firm follower of the KISS movement (Keep It Simple Stupid). And please, get rid of those "Our Mission" pages.
I agree. Shouldn't the entire site be a mission statement enough?

I'm limiting the graphics on my site. Any graphics I do have (save bona-fide photos) are in GIF form. I'd like to have at least one image of me at work on each page in the site, but that's what I'm restricting myself to. Photos of me "in action" will be confined to a "photo gallery" of sorts.

Definitely feel free to drop me a line. I'm always looking for a new HTML project to work on.

I

imported_blank

Yep Nino, I'm a "Keep it Simple" kind of guy too.
One thing to keep in mind when looking for outside advise is to make sure you get someone that knows at least a little about "MANUAL" coding.

When ever you want to discuss, just give me a shout. :)

BoomDrive

Originally posted by Ivan:
One thing to keep in mind when looking for outside advise is to make sure you get someone that knows at least a little about "MANUAL" coding.
Mmm-hmm. Manual coding. Been there, done that. Found better ways to get it done.

Dedline

When I got enough into it, I just bought an obsolete version of Dreamweaver off Ebay. Cost less than a $100. Tough to learn quick though, takes a few days to get comfy.

BoomDrive

Originally posted by Dedline:
When I got enough into it, I just bought an obsolete version of Dreamweaver off Ebay. Cost less than a $100. Tough to learn quick though, takes a few days to get comfy.
I don't understand people who still insist in coding by-hand.

If you're any good at website design, you know enough to constantly check the layout in multiple web browsers and different environments as you go along.

I've never played with Dreamweaver, though. Quite a few friends of mine in website development use it, though. Worth picking up?

I

imported_blank

Boomdrive, you obviously totally missed my point, so I will spell it out for you.

I wrote:
...when looking for outside advise, make sure you get someone that knows at least a little about "MANUAL" coding.

You wrote:

No where did I say one should code everything by hand!! I said one should have some basic understanding of manual coding. Big difference!!!!

Sure, to post an image here on b-roll - its easy enough and faster to push the little image button on this board

However one should understand what syntax will be generated when pushing that button.
- and what it means).
code: <pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">
</pre>
Pretty well every WYSWYG editor I ever used adds some wasteful code or cuts out some important code. This is especially true when opening a page designed by another WYSWYG editor or when working with a mix of HTML / PERL or HTML with some other CGI.

I kind of look at it like working with video cams and colour temperature. All you have to do is flick the pre-set switch on your camera - it will preset the WB on the rig BUT any photog worth his/her salt should know what that preset switch is doing when activated. When to or not to use it...

----------------------
I don't understand anyone that insists on coding everything manually either -- more so I don't understand people that design sites for other people (professional level) without knowing the basics of HTML and a little CGI..

-----------------
I ain't desperate enough having to come here and toot my own horn trying to solicit potential cliental for web design work (this is the wrong forum for that) However (once again) I will pass this advise to folks looking for web work:

"when looking for outside advise - make sure you get someone that knows at least a little about "MANUAL" coding.

Oh and to Lensmith, thanks again for the "unsolicited" reference.. (tooting my horn :D )

BoomDrive

Boomdrive, you obviously totally missed my point, so I will spell it out for you.
Seriously, if you want to be an a-hole about it, go right ahead. I read your post, and it's not me that "totally missed the point."

Now it's my turn to pick apart your entry. I hope you have a pen and paper handy. Or, better yet-- why don't you open Notepad?

I wrote:
...when looking for outside advise, make sure you get someone that knows at least a little about "MANUAL" coding.

You wrote:

No where did I say one should code everything by hand!! I said one should have some basic understanding of manual coding. Big difference!!!!
That's funny-- I didn't say "code everything by hand," either. Did you pay attention to anything I wrote? Maybe you wouldn't get as bent out of shape about a response if you took the time to not only read the response, but make sure you understand it.

Then, you go through an entire unnecessary little schpiel about how easy it is to post an image, the function it performs, and how WYSIWYG editors like to put in unnecessary code. You failed to notice that I've completely invalidated that comment by an earlier response:

Originally posted by BoomDrive:
If you're any good at website design, you know enough to constantly check the layout in multiple web browsers and different environments as you go along.
The funny thing is, you use an association from our profession to state the exact same thing:

I kind of look at it like working with video cams and colour temperature. All you have to do is flick the pre-set switch on your camera - it will preset the WB on the rig BUT any photog worth his/her salt should know what that preset switch is doing when activated. When to or not to use it...
Which-- you know-- is pretty redundant, if you've kept up with anything I've posted in this topic. I suppose I should've added the fact that most GUI editors provide an HTML view exactly for purposes like this, but I was under the assumption that you knew a lot about web design.

And after this entire moot-point response, you just had to shoot some kind of pointless pseudo-jab that really does nothing for neither me and definitely not you:

I ain't desperate enough having to come here and toot my own horn trying to solicit potential cliental for web design work (this is the wrong forum for that).
First, it's "clientele."

Second, absolutely nowhere was I trying to "toot my own horn."

Third-- it's a freelance forum, smart guy. So, technically, it is the right forum.

Since, once again, you've obviously missed the entire point of this topic, I'll gladly post the initial question for you:

How many of you have your own website for your freelance services or company? Does it prove to be a useful tool to your freelance career?
I'm not trying to pimp myself out as a website designer. I've seen excellent examples of both good and bad website design. Given these examples, I know I'm a great designer and developer.

I can say the experiences with you have been nothing short of insulting, even unprofessional. If you really want to go the ridiculous route of child-like behavior, you can go right ahead and try me. In fact, you're more than welcome to send me a private message.

Once you get off your ridiculously high horse, maybe I'll get some input from you about my original question. I'm simply good enough to take the good with the bad.

Lensmith

Is this a site you can register with once you've got a site of your own created?
The whole cameraman.com website has been dead since the Iraq war began. Yes, it's free...if they're still paying attention to the site.

Another place I suggest you check out is http://www.mandy.com/ as a place to list your new site. This is one of the older freelance listing sites and they offer a "free" listing and link to your site.

Don't forget to list here on the B-Roll Freelance Search too ;o)

BoomDrive

Originally posted by Rolling Ralph:
Sorry for jumping in boomdrive but I don't think Ivan was the one being the a-hole here. ... boomdrive kid, you got some nerve coming on here calling people a-holes. Do some growing up before you start posting here again.
Your quotes intrigue me. Does my "jumping in, pimping my service" mean I can't offer to help someone who's given me advice? That's interesting.

Do you even know what "pimping" is? It involves money. Did I directly say I would charge him for helping? No.

I'm going to say this just once more, because you obviously missed it the first time around. Unless you've got some worthwhile advice, don't bother responding. Send me a private message with your concerns about my BBSing instead. It's as simple as that. Getting into a stupid little "he said this, he said that" war fills the thread with crap and does nothing for anyone.

Trust me, I've been posting to BBS systems for a long time. It takes more than a few ill-informed sentences on a computer monitor to make me re-think my feelings for someone else's profoundly inept retort.

Status
Not open for further replies.