On-screen Drone Operator Credits

prosheditor

Drone Operator Screen Credits

I was watching a History Channel documentary about the high tech locks on the Panama Canal and noticed all of the RC helo shots throughout the show. This was a perfect aerial tool for this show. Then I saw the screen credit for the drone operator unit. At least they didn't generalize or obscure it with something like "specialty camera". Expect this credit to be more common soon.

Last edited:

Run&Gun

It was probably actually a true group of people(unit) with a heavy duty 8-rotor aerial platform and not someone with a Phantom. One of my friends is in the finishing stage of getting his pilot's license and has already applied for "waivers" to fly. He said he works as a three-man crew, period. Pilot, camera and spotter.

prosheditor

I'm actually glad to see this because at least from where I sit drone op should be a specialty discipline and be given credit as such.
Definitely. But some production companies and networks are probably holding off listing that position in the credits if the content was shot in the states because of the pending regulations. The location in the show I mentioned was definitely out of their reach.

It was probably actually a true group of people(unit) with a heavy duty 8-rotor aerial platform and not someone with a Phantom. One of my friends is in the finishing stage of getting his pilot's license and has already applied for "waivers" to fly. He said he works as a three-man crew, period. Pilot, camera and spotter.
They better get all the work they can while it's still there to get. See below for what is in progress that already threatens this new aerial unit package. By the time the regulations are released and a person waits for approval to get their COA, the technology will be so advanced and automated that the competition will be as fierce as the camera system free-for-all we're dealing with now. The top RC dealers I've spoken to can't keep them in stock fast enough. Although superior skill will still be a component in the decision, the only thing left to absolutely ensure that you get a project will be client loyalty which is the way many are surviving now because they can always choose someone else for less if they are willing to sacrifice some quality to save money.

I look for shadows to reveal the platform type and have mostly seen the hexes and octos indicating a large camera system but have seen the Phantom's as well. As the size of high quality cameras shrinks, like the Alexa Mini, so will the helos.

Keep in mind that a small camera system on a large platform means longer flight time and more productivity. As in fullsize, in RC there's nothing worse than capturing great content or having perfect but changing or fading light and having to land because of a low battery.

I recently met a guy that shoots pre-rigging on-set AP for a movie production designer/rigger. He was flying the Inspire that day and claimed to have $90K tied up in multiple AP rigs. The new money pit in this industry. He also said he is building a dodeca (12) rotor bird. I'd hate to be under that if it came down.

I've been monitoring the development of something called Point of Interest visual tracking software that may reduce the need of, if not do away with, a dedicated camera operator, depending on the complexity of the shot of course, for now. Then there's the existing and rapidly advancing waypoint navigation tool that will remove the need for the pilot. You just access an online aerial map, tap the screen where you want each waypoint and the helo will automatically fly that path limited only by the amount of battery power. In this case, a DP can concentrate on shooting and not worry about flying. But when combined, visual point of interest and waypoint navigation means nobody has a job in the future except the person that delivers the fully automated package to the location. All of this technology is ridiculously precise and affordable. See youtube for demos of everything just described.

I saw a demo video that showed someone riding a skateboard being pursued by an RC helo or maybe a handheld gyro rig. The target was kept inside a box or point of interest no matter where he turned. It was very impressive. This tracking feature is being offered as a new tool in video suites for the latest RC helo platforms. The pilot can choose targets to lock onto and have it automatically follow a moving object on a dynamic path or do 360s around fixed objects like towers and only have to worry about flying.

If an onsite client doesn't do it, in the future, I can visualize a scenario where an aerial package is delivered to any location and a centrally located pilot / DP service, like a security monitoring service, loads in desired flight path waypoint meta-data via the internet or satellite, launches the system and shoots the video remotely like military UAV pilots do now.