NPPA

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

<Magenta>

What's the deal with this NPPA thing ? I've been in this business for over twenty years and have never been a member of this organisation. It seems to me that someone automtically belives that he/she is a good photojournalist because they are memebers of the NPPA. Am I right or wrong ? It also appears to me that only the west/ midwestern states are the only states that are strongly into this NPPA thing ....again...am I right or wrong.
I never read on this site about network / photomagazine photogs or about the New york, L.A , Chicago , Miami, San.Fran, Boston , Atlanta photogs complaining about how many NPPA photogs are in they shop. It's always the small market guys who are always talking the NPPA crap. Again, am I right or wrong.

L

<Looking>

Since you opened that can of worms, what's it like in the big market? Some of us at the bottom of the food chain are interested in knowing what to look up to in the future career wise since we also feel under paid and malnourished.

Lensmith

The NPPA is good for some and a point of ridicule for others. Both sides have legit reasons for their feelings.

Use it for what works for you. Don't use it as a measure of who is really "the best".

I think the best part of the NPPA is for beginners. It gives them ideas and support while they are young and learning. It quickly loses relevance as your career advances...unless you feel the need to be looked up to by newbies in the biz ;o)

McColl

You wanted answers, so here they are:

1. Wrong
2. Wrong
3. If in your mind the 'small markets' start at DMA 11, you might be right. Otherwise, wrong again.

Talkin' the "NPPA crap",

McColl

M

<Magenta>

Thanks very much ( muchas gracias) "Señor Lensmith" you said it best, and that is the exact thing that came to mind while I was reading another NPPA thread on this board recently. Only the amature photogs seem to be real "high" on this NPPA thing , while the "pros"seem to ignore it altogether.

Working here in Miami, no one ever metions the NPPA and you know that from you days here in Miami.

A proposoito John ¿ Cuando vas a regresar a Miami ?

Y

<yellowbeta>

Your all right on NPPA being a place to start. I was with them when I first started shooting. But, as you grow NPPA starts to get on your nerves. I dropped them over 2 years ago and continue to grow by checking up on this site.

Well Magenta...I'll have to agree with you...you guys in Miami are certainly the "pros". We here in Nashville are just simple beginners. I hope to have the insight that you have one day.
I am a member of NPPA and I guess that just proves that I am a novice at my job. I also grew up in Florida and I have to say any time I watch the news down there I am REALLY inpressed. I was hoping I could send you a tape so you can critic it for me. Just put your real name on this thread and I'll send you one.
I was also wondering if you had some cheese to go with your fine wine. I'm still drinking milk from a spill proof container...so you'll have to bring your own glasses. I'd love to conitnue being a smartass but I have to go to work.

L

<Long Shot>

The NPPA has "good intentions" but they need to do some self evaluation and some desperately needed house cleaning. It seems to me that the "NPPA style" is starting to look a little old and used up. The definition of "unbiased opinion" needs to be introduced into their organization also.

I'll admit, my station pays my membership for the NPPA but only because they want to be able to say all of their photogs are NPPA members. I don't shoot NPPA(And I don't want to.) but I do try to adhere to the Ethics and Values the NPPA has "written" in their guidelines. As I said they have "good intentions" but they don't follow through with them.

N

<ntlz>

here we go again with the bash the NPPA thread. hasn't slamming an organization that wants to help photographers gotten old, yet. if you don't agree with the NPPA, so what! who cares! why do you bother! you sit here calling some of us amatures, and youthful; yet you start the name calling and bashing. get a grip, man, and just leave those of us that enjoy being members alone.

McColl

Originally posted by <Long Shot>:
[QB]The NPPA has "good intentions" but they need to do some self evaluation and some desperately needed house cleaning. It seems to me that the "NPPA style" is starting to look a little old and used up. The definition of "unbiased opinion" needs to be introduced into their organization also.

QB]
Longshot: When you say 'they', don't you mean WE? The National Press Photographers Association is just that... an association. The leadership is elected by the body of membership. Yes, the organization has problems. If you don't care about the NPPA enough to try to make it better for having you as a member, why not turn in your free membership card? You must care a little to take the time to point out shortcomings in this forum.

Also, you're right. Using a tripod, lots of nat sound, catching great human moments, getting lots of shot and angle variety while focusing on being a storyteller above all is really getting old and used up. Maybe you can share YOUR 'style' with the class. ;)

Austin Reeves

Others have said it, the NPPA is an organization here to do its best to assist photographers, new and pro. I don't think you should follow anyone blindly. You should listen to what they have to say, make your own decisions on its relevance, and then use or lose that information as you see fit.

I have learned things from the guys that have been in the business for twenty years. I have learned things from the guys who have been in the business two years. The idea is to learn from the perspectives of others rather than following the narrow vision of one person.

I don't believe anyone thinks the NPPA is the end-all, be-all of shooting, but if you don't keep your eyes and ears open to new ideas and perspectives from whereever they may come, you're never going to truly become better.

Liveshot

L

<Long Shot>

Also, you're right. Using a tripod, lots of nat sound, catching great human moments, getting lots of shot and angle variety while focusing on being a storyteller above all is really getting old and used up. Maybe you can share YOUR 'style' with the class.

Listen.

I'm not trying to "bash" the NPPA or anyone associated with them. I was just giving my opinion on how things are run. Have you ever noticed how defensive an NPPA member gets when you try to suggest a different style? It like like you're questioning the Ten Commandments. The "NPPA Style" shouldn't be a set of rules and guidelines for shooting. It should be the colaboration of talents around the country to introduce new ideas and innovations. Like, why is there competition between regions? It just has become very uncomfortable when a new idea is introduced into the organization.

Sorry if I offended.

M

<Magenta again on NPPA.>

Okay, what p----d me off and made me inquire about the NPPA was this :

In a tread posted on May 2,2003 @10:48 a.m with the displayed name of "WESCOAST" the person asked about what is is like to for at ths stations in Phoenix,Arizona. Well, someone with the displayed name of "REAVIE SOREY" replied on May 22, 2003 @ 6:43 p.m by giving an opinion about Ch.3 in in Phoenix and continued by saying ......." The station does not have an NPPA member that I can think off."

That comment in my opinon comes from (a) an inexperienced news photographer or (b) a complete a-- ---e becuase it implies that no one is a great shooter or that a shop is not a good photo shop until it has an NPPA member.

Again, that is my opinion and every person is entitled to their own opinion , and the point that I am trying to make here is that great photogs do not put down each other because one is an NPPA member and the other is not.

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG.

T

<therefore>

Following your logic then Magenta, since "great photogs do not put down each other because one is an NPPA member and the other is not," you are not a great photog.

It is you who started with the insults. The word "amateur" (actually you said "amature") came from you. I feel safe to say that word in the context you used it has a negative connotation.

This thread is nothing new. It is a topic that is constantly reoccurring, so we can dispense with NPPA members getting defensive. It starts and ends with insults and when someone sticks up for the fact that they enjoy being a member, they get put down. When they fire a shot back, they're accused of not having thick skin.

So Magenta, you are wrong and have been corrected like you asked. You're welcome.

Lil' Photog

The NPPA doesn't really have a style outside of solid storytelling and using a tripod.

I would like to know how many NPPA members are there or if it was an "NPPA" shop. That will tell a lot about the shooters they have their.

Whether that's good or bad is up to the individual.

I'm going to agree with S&B. The NPPA's biggest problem is that they are an organization based on contests and don't advocate for us. Why don't they have a legal fund like the SPJ does?

If I'm a member of such an organization, I want them to back me up if someone is infringing on my rights, whether it be my station or the government.

In response to something said earlier, I would hardly generalize the NPPA as only amatuers... Some of the finest storytellers in the country are NPPA members.

If you don't want to be a member, don't. No one is forcing you to give up your money. I really hope you have a better reason then "I don't like their style" or "it's just for newbies".

I should stay out of these discussions but I guess I can't help myself.

What is the NPPA style? How do you shoot "NPPA"? I've been around the organisation for more years than most of you have been alive and I don't have a clue what you are talking about. Use a tripod? I've been an advocate of handheld fluid camerawork all of my career and I've been teaching at the "workshop" for 30 years of that time. "Storytelling"? Yeah, we teach that but I don't know of any rules that say you have to have sequences. In fact, there are no rules.

If you think the NPPA is only about contests than you have tunnel vision. The NPPA is, I believe, about advocating professionalism. Some of you say you've outgrown the NPPA. Maybe so. Maybe you reached a point where you don't give a damn anymore. As for it being an organisation for amateurs, that's just plain stupid. You say it doesn't function as an advocate? Maybe so. It seldom steps in when you have a run in with a Cop or your Chief changes your scedule to nightside. What a pity. It does function as an advocate by promoting professionalism and helping to change our image from "shooter" and "photog" to that of a professional. Could it be better? Of course. But I know from previous discussions that few of the whiners are willing to work for change and fewer still who are willing to help organise a better organisation.

I'm always interested in hearing from the "big market" folks who pride themselves on not being "NPPA". I've seen your product. It shows.

Some of you obviously disagree with me. I welcome any debate from those with the courage to use their real names.

Darrell Barton

W

<WindyCityGuy>

I work in Market 3 and I am not @CLTV. The Producers and reporters are getting sick and tired of the same old b-ll sh-t. I once had to edit video from a man that shot a scene handheld. So many of you say that's fine. Except the scene was over 100 yds away. He was just too lazy to get out his tripod.

If the NPPA does anything it tries to make you care about your work. Sure there is a style that is associated with the organization, but that style as it was explained to me is just another tool in your tool box. So many "cameramen" here only know one style, and that sux. Because they shoot eveything the same way, whether it is a feature that requires creativity or a spot news piece that requires thinking on your feet, they are all medium shots, because they (cameramen) don't know any better. However, the "photojournalist" (which is what the NPPA brews) knows better, they know to look for human emotion, moments, meaningful NAT sound, and a shot variance.

I can't tell you how many times I have had to edit another persons work and I prayed for tight shots. The NPPA tells you, "Get tight shots cause you can't go from medium to medium to medium." Anyone who has been involved in the NPPA knows that, and I am glad to edit their work.

And as to the person that asked what it is like in the big market, it's great especially if you care about your job and your work because you really stand out from the "button pushing drones" that you will encounter!

Status
Not open for further replies.