"NPPA Style" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard the term "NPPA Style" photography thrown around a lot but I am trying to find out what this really means. I have searched the NPPA web site but I have not found anything about photographic style.

To me it seems to be a quality standard rather than a set of guide lines? If there is a set of guide lines could some one please share them with me.

eb

He IS a junior member.

ILOVETHISJOB - This topic has been discussed quite a bit over the past four years on this list...That's why the ambivilance on responses.

Go to www.nppa.org Hopefully you will learn something about the NPPA and what it stands for. As for TV styles...there are DVDs for members. Watch the stories. Then go back and order some old NPPA dvds or tapes. Compare. You might see DIFFERENT types of stories, shot differently depending on the story. There is no one style per se. Then again, you might see some consistancies...such as solid sequenced storytelling with great natural moments and sounds. Also...composition will be solid. Lighting will be solid. Etc...

Every story is different....well not really...but each story requires an individual approach. If you have an average story about the housing market, you might want to shoot it off a tripod. Try to personalize it. Try to get natural moments and sounds. Sequence. Mix up the shot variety. Be creative, etc.... If you are shooting a fire, you will need to be in the right place at the right time. That is not an NPPA style...that is simply good photojournalism. You do not have to be an NPPA member to shoot NPPA style...if there is an NPPA style. You can be a member...and shoot completely different from everyone else...and still get recognized (Ray Farkas.) You can shoot off the sticks mostly, or on the sticks mostly. The main point...is to get the shots that tell the story. Provide quality when the opportunity presents itself. If you are given the opportunity to shoot quality...and you shoot crap...then that probably won't be recognized by your peers.

The NPPA style...is simply what other photographers, editors and reporters judge as being quality...at the time they judge. That can change year to year. There are many different situations. If you are shooting spot news, get the shots. Get the action and reactions. Get close ups. Sequence. Tell a story from beginning, middle to end. Etc...

I don't have time to go into each type of story now (documentaries, features, sports, general, etc....) So I recommend studying past and present NPPA stories to judge for yourself.

There are at least two different areas to consider -in photojournalism. Photography (composition, color, lighting, audio, steady shots, angles, focal length, etc...) Journalism (story, newsworthiness, structure, personalized, natural sounds and moments, etc....)

Then there is the editing too.

So...any and all of these are variables. NPPA judges weigh each and depending on which variable is weighted higher - NPPA winners are picked. It could be outstanding photography, creativity, or it could just be outstanding journalism that the photographer played an important part gathering.

Its hard to nail down. Start watching stories. It will teach you and inspire you.

www.nppa.org

Branden.

I'd be happy to mail some NPPA stories (on beta) to anyone who wants em...I'm sitting on HUNDREDS of stories (on Beta)...just request the region & paypal me the postage & I'll fedex em to you. PM me for more details!

Since everyone seems reluctant to answer your question:
-Steady, sequenced video
-clean, compelling natural sound

that's it in a nutshell, but it is much more than that. There is a philosophy behind the NPPA that can't be summarized by bullet-points. It's a way of thinking. When your shooting a story, you have to think of yourself as a journalist rather than just a photog. Get the shots and the sounds that tell the story. Look for the video that tells a story with a beginning, middle and end.
Most important though-
sequence, sequence, sequence
nats, nats, nats

also, do take these guys up on their offer to watch NPPA stories. it's the best way to learn.

[ June 13, 2005, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Hugo Ball ]

chroma cranker

there is not a NPPA style. NPPA simple ask you to have a beginnig, middle, and end. they want you to be a storyteller. you just create your own style to go along with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.