NPPA style?

• Thread starter <Rasberry Shake>
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

<Rasberry Shake>

I've been shooting for around 3 years now. I've heard alot about shooting "NPPA style", and I want to do so....but recently I've relized that I don't know exactly what "NPPA style" is. Can anyone give me a genuine definition of "NPPA style", because I don't know that I've ever heard one distinct way of shooting in a NPPA way.

Thank you all for your responses.

N

<Nematode>

"I've heard alot about shooting "NPPA style", and I want to do so....but recently I've relized that I don't know exactly what "NPPA style" is."

Why would you want to adopt a style with which you are unfamiliar?
We have enough "stylists" in our business. How about concentrating on storytelling and skip the whole question of "style"?.
Good news photography is invisible. I want people to talk about the content of my work not it's "style".
Find your own voice. And by the way, this is not intended as a shot at the NPPA.
All you need to do is turn on your TV to see every kind of photography imaginable. Adopt the stuff you like and ditch the stuff that makes you squirm. It's no more difficult than that.
May I suggest starting with a trip to Best Buy for the 4 DVD Kruosawa boxed set? It's got little or nothing to do with actual news photography but it will blow your eyes wide open and that's a good thing.

Y

<yeah, but...>

Originally posted by Flash-Frame:
http://www.nppa.org/
I didn't see NPPA style defined on their website. I think Shake is asking what the shooting style looks like. For those of us who don't work in a market with an NPPA-style shop or who haven't been able to go to a seminar... give us the vibe. I have gotten the impression that NPPA favors creative, artistic shots; use of tripod, etc. Am I right? Can anyone elaborate?

Lensmith

Originally posted by <Rasberry Shake>:
Can anyone give me a genuine definition of "NPPA style", because I don't know that I've ever heard one distinct way of shooting in a NPPA way.
In my mind there are two NPPA styles.

One is to help you win contests.

The other teaches you to attain a constant level of quality that works under the working conditions a majority of news photographers live with.

The first is more to impress other photogs while the second, more valuable, makes you a better photog in the real world of 24 hour news cycles.

The best advice I've seen on this thread so far is for you to find your own style. Copying someone elses way of doing the job does not put you in the correct mindset of being a part of the future of television news.

People like Darrell Barton developed their own style that established a perfect balance between quality work, capturing reality and dealing with network needs. It's a style I prefer yet I have other clients who want something different. Something a little more "formal". I have to be able to offer other options in order to satisfy the needs of different clients looking to hire me. By the way, Darrell Barton is not a one trick pony. He too has a huge bag of tricks that would keep any client happy as well ;o)

Maybe I shouldn't say "don't copy" because that's how we all learn. Yet, when you copy consider it an additional tool for you to use when the time is right. No one style works all the time. The successful news photographer adapts to the situation and produces a quality product in the amount of time available.

The NPPA offers some great basics for young photogs yet, by no means, covers every aspect of what this job requires.

Look at the NPPA as a beginning and not as an "end all" solution to how you shoot.

Good luck developing your own style that sets you apart from the pack..and keeps you employed ;o)

R

<Rasberry Shake>

Thank you Mr. DuMontelle and all the others for the great advice. I really appreciate it all, and am trying to craft my own style. I was just curious as to what makes one way of shooting NPPA-style, as opposed to another. Is it simply use of a tripod, or are there other criteria? I've watched quartly clips tapes, and notice that no to photogs are the same. Some stuck to tripods, others didn't. It just seems that despite alot of talk about trying to shoot more like NPPA, there really is not a definite way to do so. Is it simply those basic rules (use tripod, zoom with feet, shoot in sequences..etc.)? Don't most photogs go by those guidelines anyway?

N

<natpop>

"NPPA style" is steady sequenced video with the use of compelling natural sound. Hopefully after 3 years you are doing this anyway.

C

<clint smart>

Go to the NPPA website look up the NPPA Code of Ethics. You will understand.

R

<russ>

Tripod, zoom with feet, sequences - Nope, not everyone does this already. I do on occasion, depending on my mood, the weather, the type of story, yada, yada, yada.

Steady sequenced video is the number one goal of the "style," #2 I'd venture to say is the story - as in beginning, middle and end. #3 Nats, nats, nats. #4 lighting. #5 ignoring talent #6 ignoring consultants #7 winning awards.

Perhaps that's a tad harsh. NPPA style is about a technically solid final product which adheres to the basic rules of shooting while displaying a degree of creative effort which raises the final product above those which are average.

In other words it ain't about the shooting, it's all about attitude.

I'm now going to take my jaded washed up butt out to my 5 and 6 pm live and slap a pack together made up primarily of file and shoulder shot interviews. There will be no sticks, lots of servo zooms, and not a single sequence in sight.

S

<sapphoto>

On the vain Shake was writing about. I recently completed a job search a few months ago. I don't remember how many times "NPPA style preferred" was used on job postings.

I don't call it a style. I shoot what the situation calls for. I subscribe to the mantra of steady, sequenced video with compelling natural sound. If a ND is going to make NPPA a benchmark it should be listed as... A photographer who adheres to the basics espoused by the NPPA.

sapphoto

S

<Stupid>

Please explain to me how do I " zoom with my feet ", and is this something that can be done when I am one block away from a crime scene behind the Police yellow tape or if I am shooting a cruise liner way out on the horizon ?

Scott Utterback

Zooming with your feet is for when you are off your tripod. It means to stay wide with your shot and walk up to the next shot. If you are behind crime tape this is not a recommended technique... but if you are behind crime tape there is a pretty good chance you have time to get your tripod set up.

To me the only NPPA style is telling the story the best way possible. Almost every technique out there as it's place or should I stay it's story: Mtv, rock solid, donuts, quick editing, music, letting it breath, pans, zooms and the list goes on and on. All of these can work and all of these can fail. Good photog's know tons of techniques... Great photog's know when and where to use them. I personally would love to get out of the good category.

eb

I dont know if you are a member of the NPPA...but I would suggest joining. A young photog can learn by watching other's work from around the country. With membership, the NPPA sends you DVDs each year with dozens of stories recognized nationally for either their photojournalism...or editing.
You will see different approaches to shooting different stories...by different photographers. There is no "one" way. Every year, there are new stories to watch. It is very interesting, I think.

There is a brand new NPPA Mentor program, that you could make use of. There's also a magazine (soon to have a new look) that keeps you up to date on our profession. And of course, there is a book, and many seminars throughout the country.

You will see many "styles"...both steady - off the tripod...as well as off the shoulder, and funky. You will form your own opinion ...when to shoot which...and when not to. You will likely learn a new trick or two. So there really is no "NPPA style" per-se.

The NPPA judges are ...other photographers.Most photographers believe, and rightly so, that steady video shot from a tripod looks better...in cases when it is possible to shoot from a tripod. (Shooting a house for example.) So you will see more steady, sequences in NPPA stories... because that looks better than unsteady, unsequenced video.

Your video should be correctly white balanced, focused, sequenced if possible, with good composition. And it should tell a story, (not be totally meaningless or impossible to understand.) You should have good sound - natural sound, and moments that take you closer to the story. That is just a quick overview. There are many thoughts and ideas. That's what makes the NPPA interesting. You will learn!

You do not need to be a member of the NPPA to shoot good stories. But its a great place to learn, focus, see new stuff, and meet other photographers from around the country.

-eb

Status
Not open for further replies.