NOT having a 400w HMI

Starman

How many of you rent HMI or have moved to LED's?

Just curious. I have been getting by with a scrim jim, reflectors, and just a 200w HMI, and a couple of Dracast daylight panels.

I haven't been asked yet to specifically provide an HMI except for a couple commercial shoots where I rented an M18.

Should I still consider one? They are expensive, a 400 watt costs roughly $6,000 new. Probably still better off renting I think.

Tv Shooter

Buy used. I bought my Joker Bug and Bron 400s used and have less than $2500 in both. Deals are out there. But if spending $6K, then get a JAB or Hive Plasma light. Less power draw, little heat.

Run&Gun

HMI equivalent LED's are still big, expensive and not really equivalent(if going by manufacturer specs). I have two 800 watt HMI's. I'd rather have bigger lights that I can diffuse or back away and cover more area than worrying about if I'm gonna have enough punch or have to spot it down and/or walk it in right on top of the client. Also, I hate renting or having to track something down. I don't want to have to worry about gear if I get a call and have to dash off immediately. I've contemplated LED's for HMI replacement and even demo'd some, but haven't been overly impressed. If I needed to be super mobile over having the power I really need most of the time, I may have one or two, but too many sacrifices for me right now in the situations I'm usually using them in. Maybe in a few generations...

2000lux

Want to buy a 575 W Mole & Richardson HMI? I've got one sitting around that's mostly just collecting dust. :(

I've worked with too many people (especially with Kobald 400s) who always say, "Lets see if it works today?" before they try turning it on. I don't want to be worrying about that with a client standing by! :O

LEDs are great in that you don't have to worry about the bulbs or general fragility, they're very durable, and they draw far less power than an HMI. I love that I can just turn it on or off without all the fuss HMIs require (don't restrike right away, don't swim after eating, yada yada).

I have the Aadyntech JAB Hurricane which is just about equivalent to an 800 W HMI, and it's weatherproof. You'd have to invest in a Bron for that feature. Most of the network crews and freelancers around me are switching to the JAB or the Punch. The Nila lights are also popular, but I've heard their customer service isn't very good.

I usually use a 1x1 for fill. The combination works quite well.

Focused

LED from HMI

At NAB this past year I looked really hard at the Frezzi line of high output LEDs. Called the Skylight I think? Pretty well build, LED power draw and acted like a 200 HMI. Its getting there.

I think the issue is battery power vs output. The tech isn't quite there to get the punch and duration from a battery system. IMHO.

Frezzi also showed a nice "almost weather resistant" 400 w HMI. It was capable of DC operation for field use.

Focused

Intersted

2000lux (Brian) I tried to PM you but your account was full. Clean that sucker out.

Run&Gun

I've met some of the Aadyntech guys and really like them and the fact that the lights are made and distributed from here. I also demo'd the JAB from my local Barbizon back during football season. I wanted to like it, but IF it hadn't been 100% overcast and rainy, it wouldn't have been enough. And it had a green push. And I've heard that from a lot of other people, too(green). One of the things I don't like about the current generation of LED HMI "equivalent" fixtures is we're back to using lenses. Both of my BK 800's are open face because I do not want to have to switch lenses. It's a pain in an ENG/Live situation.

2000lux

Aadyntech demo'd some new LEDs at an event here in town recently. Smaller and lighter than the JAB, but about as bright!

Tv Shooter

The Nila lights are also popular, but I've heard their customer service isn't very good.
I have experienced that their customer service is actually quite excellent. They updated the LEDs in my Zailas free of charge, after I bought them as demo units after NAB 2014. Sent them out, they had them one day and they sent them back.

Oh.....and I didn't ask them to do this, they offered to do it. They also updated one of my buddies Zailas as well.

Now you can say you've heard their service is excellent. :cool:

marstaton4

I would love to move to LED's but don't feel like they are quite there yet. Being by the coast I often don't feel like my 400w, and 200w Bron Kobold's are enough. I have an 800w that handles most situations but it's a lot bigger and the power draw starts to become an issue.

Run&Gun

Anybody look at the Cream Source lights?
I don't know about the current generation, but talked to someone that worked for a production company that bought them early on and they don't use them. He said they were expensive and green.