Live car crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brock Samson

One of our liveshots yesterday had a major car wreck right behind it. Our newest photog was the guy shooting the shot, and he was able to stay with it. Ironically, the story was on how dangerous the intersection is. Has anybody else seen this kind of thing?

Dedline

oh man, you know the cops may blame you for the accident. if somebody saw a camera crew and reporter on the corner, they were probably looking at you when they ran the light/hit the other car/whatever.

2gigch1

Regardless of the idea that even Pamela Anderson could be flashing the traffic it is up to the drivers to keep proper attention.

Brock Samson

Yeah, I fed it to Newspath the next day from the Sat truck. I didn't realize it was taken down so quickly. It does seem strange.

As for the police, we actually did a story that same day where we had a Sherrif's deputy who worked the crash look at the video, (And we shot him while he did etc etc.) and he stressed throughout the whole thing that its not the fault of the crew, but the driver's responsibility to pay attention to what they're doing. (The wreck was caused by a guy in a Honda pulling out in front of a pickup going about 55 or 60 down a little 2-lane highway.)

I don't think the video is on the internet, but the web story is here:

http://www.kwch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=KWCH/MGArticle/WCH_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031777981746&path=

I wish you all could see it, it was pretty wild looking!

str8shooter13

Look for "Accident Caught . . ." thread on the General Discussion board -- there's a link there to the video.

I've watched it a few times, and it looks like the car stopped but then pulled right out in front of the truck without looking. Was the driver watching the TV crew instead of paying attention to driving ? Probably. Is this the TV crew's fault ? Definitely not. If the crew wasn't LIVE right then, the driver just as easily could have grabbed his coffee, checked a map, or looked in his rearview mirror instead of checking for traffic.

I've learned after almost 20 years of driving ambulances -- always believe that there is a vehicle you haven't noticed yet, and look each way twice (even at a green light). If you don't look out for your own safety when you drive, nobody else will.

Status
Not open for further replies.