lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

<geek>

doing some movie stuff all of my experience is in real life footage where thiers no oportunity to stage anything. legal, spot news, documetary etc.

my real question is what is the most simple and inexpencive kit to buy. I'm going to go cheap as I can. as I will probably only do this kind of thing infrequently. but I don't want to rent as I would like to have the gear ready to go at three in the morning if need be.

also shooting in dvcam do I need 4000 watts or 1000 watts?

Sportsguy

For the money, check out Lowel. A kit with two Omnis and a Tota shouldn't break the bank, and should allow you to do most of the lighting setups that you'll need.

If you're on DVCAM, wattage isn't really an issue. Our DVCAM gear can see better in the dark than I can. It's quality with the lighting, not quantity.

N

<Nematode>

Go to B&H photo and request a lighting catalogue. Those guys sell everything but talent and they have lights to fit every budget.

S

<satpimp>

Thought about hmi's? Digimole makes very inexpensive 200 and 400 watt models that are adequate.

A bit of a step up are the bron-kobold waterproof 200 and 400's... outstanding lights!

Softboxes will help a lot whether you go tungsten or hmi especially to knock of the harsh dv edges.

Keep in mind light control is as or more important than wattage.

D

<DARK SIDE>

most of all dont forget to get a pro-light
that has to be my pride and joy next to
my softbox.

G

<geek>

ok lowel dv creator package? bit pricey.

two person interview whats the minimum?

two soft boxes
two focusable with barn doors
hair light

would that be enough?

I don't know much about lighting so I want to test around.

heres the theory I'm working off of.

really soft base light for low shadow.
one light aimed at each face for good skin tone.
hair light to bring them forward from background.

g0uld

You want good skin tone, Get a set of Warm cards.

Good (effective)lighting, Two Lowel Omni's with Soft boxes (by chimmera). 2 Lowel mini-pro lights, light and focusable for your hair light. and 2 more Omni's that you can use for lighting the background.

You can see a demo on warm cards@ WWW.WARMCARDS.COM

But they are cheapers from www.ENGgadgets.com

Eng gadgets also carries all the lighting gear you're looking for as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.