LED street lights

adam

My last post was about LED lights, it'll be my b-roll beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJHLopzGz3Q&feature=player_embedded#!

That's a link to a poorly shot video of a street light demonstration in Seattle. It's on of a number of cities that are converting street lights to LED's from sodium vapor. I'm an AM shift guy so this is big news for me personally. Here in Seattle where it's dark for most of the day in winter time this is a nice development.

photogguy

I would love to seen sodium vapor lights go the way of the do-do. I hated shooting under them, and I hate them as a driver.

Losing the color of an object to the color of the light is not good.

Then there's the added bonus of dollars saved on the power bill.

adam

Has anyone noticed that LED's can easily blow out your video levels? I can't quite describe the effect but at an event I shot the stage lights were LED's and in order to expose the scene the LED's would go nuclear. Additionally their bleed was incredible, the light influenced the white balance at a good distance. It's a much different world with LED rather than tungsten.

focusthis

Math major needed...

How soon can we replace my 600's and 1k with a 180w LED streetlight? A quick search rates these as producing around 16,000+ lumens from, well, streetlight height (300w is double that). An Arrilite 1k throws 150 to 700 footcandles from about 1/3 that distance (flood/spot).

Waterproof, much cooler operating temp, and perhaps more durable. Downside: $1000

Would someone please compare these apples and oranges?