just trying to work somethings out

PHOTOGJJ

had the story to do it. So i went for the framing shots.
gotten both good and bad from my piers at work just looking for more.
[b-rollTV]1229[/b-rollTV]

Last edited:
ehhhh.. Liked the first interview setup,,, second one I thought was awful and third one could have done w/o. Felt like you were trying to think to much when setting up the interviews. I saw a lot of shot repetition with the hangers and what not. U had a couple nice nat breaks, dont be afraid to use the sticks some more,,Keep at it brotha...

redcoat

In the b-roll I didn't care for the lower angle shot of the two women looking at and discussing clothes, near the end. I think it was very unflattering.

The only real problem I had with the interview framing was in the second interview with the guy between the lamp and the dresser. He was too small in the frame, he looked cramped, his look room was seriously interrupted, and there's was too much other stuff demanding my attention. I see the thought and I applaud the effort, but I don't think the overall composition was successful. However, the first interview setup looked great. And there was good nat sound and a pretty good shot variety as far as wides and tights. I hate to criticize creativity and experimentation, so nice job! Keep trying new things and figure out what works for you!

Latin Lens

Overall not a bad a story...you can tell you put some thought and effort into the piece and that deserves an "A". However, the manner in which you framed some of the interviews could have been much better.

Furniture consignment interview was a little too far off in the background but I like the idea.

Keep trying..every story is an oppurtunity to grow and learn and experiment. Watch alot of other guys work in the b-roll TV section to get ideas or inspired.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Good Effort

Yeah, it was a pretty good effort. The framing was alright, although, the dude in the "lamp" interview, was not so good. If that's your plan, you gotta get a little tighter, and I think its okay. The upshots, I thought, were unflattering. And, the ending was way too abrupt.

All-in-all, I kinda dug it...

phojorisin

first off...i applaud you for thinking outside the box...and then having the guts to put it here in front of some very seasoned veterans and ask for their help...

i liked the first interview, the background lighting over her head was a bit hot, but obviously you were using available lighting...so no biggie

the second one with the guy and the lamp...like others have said, it didn't work, but at least you tried...basically, the lamp was in the middle of the frame and blocking his talk space...and there was wayyyy too much stuff on the right half of the frame distracting me. The third one was kind of just alright, but the white wall in the foreground didn't have much to it, and I think she was looking the wrong direction.

one other thing I'd mention that is to always try to have a closing shot. If you have a great, emotional interview, you can get away with ending on the interview shot...but for the most part...close on b-roll. Try to get some kind of negative action (i.e. someone walking away from you, a door closing, etc.) Since the writing made the ending abrupt, a closing shot would've at least told viewers it was over visually.