Jane Boulen

I hope I'm not stealing some thunder here. I talked to Jane last week and she told me that she put in her two-week notice for retirement. Many people here know who Jane is but for those who do not, let me fill you in.

Jane is a journalist's and photojournalist's photojournalist. By any measure you want to use - peer admiration, awards or ability to effectively cover any type of story, she defined it. For thirty years she fought the good fight and did some terrific work in Denver, Chicago and for a lot of that time in New Orleans. She knew good work when she saw it and did a lot of it herself - in fact she was the first photographer working in New Orleans to ever win Region 8 POY for the NPPA. If memory serves me correctly, she was runner-up for national POY that same year. For many years after, she volunteered in the NPPA as a regional Quarterly Clip Contest Chair and then National Chair of the quarterly contest. I can't imagine the hundreds, if not thousands of hours she volunteered in these capacities as well as spending a whole lot of time judging the quarterly contest.

I was lucky to work with her in the same market (New Orleans) for nearly ten years. While we didn't work at the same station, she was a true supporter of photographers trying to excel, no matter where they worked. Outside of her work ethic and uncommon skill, she has been a great friend. When it was a hot August day in New Orleans and I was going to have to sit outside of a courthouse for six hours, I knew I'd have a great time if she was there. Those conversations about how to beat the news blues and pursue good work despite the typical challenges and obstacles taught me a lot. When I left New Orleans, I knew she was one of the TV folks I'd miss the most - and that excellent button she had pinned to the front of her viewfinder PortaBrace cover that said, "Don't Panic".

One of the great perks of working in TV news for me was making some lasting friends and Jane is one of them. Lots of people enter and exit the news business but only a very few leave a lasting impression on it. She is one of them. I can't imagine how many photographers, reporters, producers and news directors she mentored. I hope you have a moment to express some gratitude to her here for her selfless work in making the world of television news photography a better place.

eb

Jane's retiring!
Congralutations! A job well, well, done.
I got to spend a week with Jane at the "nationals" in Murfreesboro years ago... And she's done plenty of good volunteer work with the NPPA. A great role model for anyone.
Enjoy!

Frank McBride

Jane and I first worked together in 1994. I had been shooting for 5 years. She had a decade or so head start on me but had so much enthusiasm you would have thought she was just getting started.

At that time Jane was really finding her groove as a storyteller. She had a photo piece on a truck that was abandoned on a street that just knocked me out. She shot a story about kids visiting their moms in prison that was beautiful and touching. She shot a story on I believe it was the Mandeville Opry with all these musicians in a tiny room and she had shots that I still don't know how she thought of them, let alone executed them and made it all make sense. She had countless memorable stories that were eye-opening for me.

Jane didn't stop at being an example. She was generous with her time, her talent and her experience. She would regularly talk with me about pieces I was planning or working on and had great insight into why things worked or they didn't. I had one story, Super Mario the 79-year-old stripper, that I was pretty pleased with and showed to Jane and she very kindly pointed out how some restructuring could make a difference. I recut the story using her suggestions and it was so much better. It was all about taking the viewer on a journey and giving them moments along the way to keep them interested, then delivering the payoff.

Jane was also great to just be around. We would share our frustrations, our goals, our family situations. I don't know if she knew just how much she influenced those around her, but we really appreciate it.

Jane, I don't think WDSU ultimately gave you your proper due, but I hope the next part of YOUR story is a happy one for you.

FMc

JimmyS.

Jane is a true intellect and talent in the news industry. I only met her once at a NPPA workshop, but I was profoundly influenced by her. She said... "Shoot with your heart and your mind." The way she said "and" meant a lot to me through my career in news. Thanks for those few words, Jane. I wish the best for you, always.