Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techworld

This is probably not news anymore...but I heard that previous POY Doug Legore will(or has already?) resign from WHTM-TV(Harrisburg, PA)? Can anyone confirm this? If this is true, I think it's a major blow to any photog out there who still believes in stroytelling and hoping to work for a NPPA station someday. I don't know what caused him to leave TV News, but if a great storyteller like him decides to quit, it speaks volume that perhaps NPPA style of storytelling just doesn't fit into the fast-paced of TV News operation nowadays...which is story count over storytelling. Again, I don't know what caused him to quit, and I hope that is his personal decision not because of the frustration over the management.

Lensmith

Doug is a very talented guy who has done so much for our craft. It would be sad to see him leave but maybe we should wait to find out what the exact reasons are for his departure before jumping to conclusions.

It might be for personal reasons we are unaware of.

Or it might not. Personally I hope it's for good reasons and not bad.

Branden.

I'm sick of NPPA people cornering the market on the term "storytelling".

The NPPA approach is *not* a square peg that TV news managers are trying to cram into a round news hole...it's just a set of rules & standards that one employs whilst in the course of developing their work product.

Stop complaining & learn how to "NPPA-it" faster.

As for DL...I've talked with him a few times & shared a few emails with him. He offered me guidance and perspective during my early years (before I joined the Evil Empire) and his communications were points of value to me.

As for NPPA newbies losing faith...I'm sure everything will be just fine if they continue to eat their veggies & read the NPPA literature.

Todd Rogenthien

Doug got a job teaching, which will allow him to spend more time with his kids. Who wouldn't want to do that?

Great work Doug! Thanks for all of the inspiration over the years and good luck!

Todd

DLegore

We have a sign that hangs in the Legore house that says "Home is where your story begins".

I believe that a story should have three things: Character, Plot, and Surprise.

My story has great characters: a wonderful wife who I've been married to for 13 years, and two great kids, both boys, ages 9 and 7.

Here's the plot: I'd been in TV news for 19 years, the past 8 as a manager, and I started to look at my future. I knew I didn't want to be a news director or a general manager, and I'd always considered teaching as the next step in my life.

And now the surprise: I've decided to leave local news to become a video production teacher at the Milton Hershey School in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

It's a school for orphaned children and children from underpriviledged families.

It offers a residential experience (pre-K through 12) in a wholesome environment, provides a quality education, and a wealth of opportunities that lead to the social, physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual development of a child.

So to set the record straight, I'm not leaving because I'm frustrated by the current state of TV news, or because my station is going downhill. In fact, WHTM has been a terrific place for me.

I'm making this move to:
1. Spend more time with my family, and be home in time for my kids' baseball games! (My oldest son is a starting pitcher and I'd always show up just as the last inning was starting.)

2. Teach photojournalism to the next generation
of photographers. (Maybe a future POY!)

3. Try my hand at freelancing in my "downtime", since the job runs from September through May.

I forgot to mention that I also have a sign that hangs on the wall in my office at work, and that one says "Incredible as it seems, my life is based on a true story."

This is just the latest chapter in that story.

Doug Legore

P.S. If you want to chat further or if there's anyway I can help photographers in the craft that I still love, email me at legore@peoplepc.com

mknisely

Doug you have always been one for signs. Wheather you were following one or giving one as a wedding present; you were following your heart.

Doug and his wife gave my wife and I a sign for our wedding it reads, "Faith Family, Friends." That sign hangs in our entry way to our house - you cannot come or go with out seeing it. Those three simple words that have a positive lasting impact for my family. Doug I don't think I never shared that with you. Thank you.

I'm very happy for you my friend. As I have told you, you are truly blessed and have all the dedication, passion, and leadership to help you in your new venture. You'll be great!

Dana and I give all the best.

Peace.
Matt

[ July 10, 2005, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: mknisely ]

eb

Doug,

Again, congrats on the change of pace! You'll enjoy it. By the way, do you still have that huge NBC sign?

[ July 11, 2005, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: eb ]

woodsiecam

Doug's always been full of surprises. He's even been "in the process" of writing a novel for the past few years.

By the way, how you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Huh? Gotta, gotta propelling protaganist? Yea? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Gotta story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? YEEEeeaaa, talking about that 3 years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? And at the end your main character is richer from the experience? Yeah? Yeah? No, no, you deserve some time off.

Have fun, I know you'll learn them kids good.

- Woodsie

12cammo

As anyone who as ever attended one of Doug's workshops or seminars knows, he's a natural born teacher. Best of luck to you Doug!

NorthShore

Thank Gawd, he's leaving!!! Maybe now I'll have a shot at R3 POY......

Just kiddin', Doug. Good luck and enjoy your summers off. It's been a hot one in the Keystone State this year....and I still have the NP articles up on my wall. Yourself, Brad & Mark. It's my little shrine.

Tear 'em up!!!

Dedline

Doug, great news for you. and still able to freelance in the summer when its nice out. What a gig! congrats!
(previous seminar participant)

Some Guy in LA

Doug...
You are a class act from the word "go". 'Tis a pleasure to know you, laugh with you, and appreciate your work.
This is no higher calling than influencing the next generation for the better. Whether you do the work with your kids...and you do....or at the school...and you will...I am so envious of this terrific chance. A chance to make the world a better place...truly.
Best of luck on that first day when you walk in the classroom...and they quietly stare back thinking..."...who the heck is THIS guy?"
They'll learn soon enough!

All the best, pal. All the best.

Just Some Guy in LA

Guy Critique

Doug,
For those of us you have touched in this world with your expertise, humor and kindness we are all better for it.
For all those you are about to teach, they are the lucky ones.
Good luck in your next adventure!

Dave Wertheimer

tsorensen

Hey Doug.

Congrats and good luck from Denmark.
I hope you will find time in your new life to drink "fisk" and learn how to play fuzzball!!

Respect...

Troels

mooZ

Yeah Doug, if only you played fussball with the same passion as you chugg down a bottle of FISK...... :D :D :D

I can totally understand your reasons for focusing on teaching and wish you all the best!

See you in Denmark,

Peter

DLegore

Hey Troels, Peter, and Ole...

Just so you know there are three foosball tables just outside my classroom in the "recreation" room at my school...what does that mean? Well, on my next visit to Denmark, the Danes are going down. :mad:

Doug

P.S. Keep the Fisk cold for me.

dswann

Doug:

Thanks for being an inspiration to all of us who wish we could tell a story half as well as you. I wish you the very best in your new career, those kids will give you back as much as I know you will bring to them.

woodsiecam

Doug,

When/where is you're going-away party gonna be? Post it early so maybe some out-of-towners can make it.

- Woodsie

Status
Not open for further replies.