Google+ Hangouts

Rutledge

Hello Denizens,

Anyone ever have a corporate shoot using Hangouts?

Basically it's plug-in web-casting, designed to use your computer camera.

Planning to use my pmw ex350 but unsure about connecting and computer recognizing my cam.

HDMI out from cam, but think the HDMI port on MacBook Pro is output. Could maybe connect HDMI to USB with adapter.

Thoughts? Ideas? Pitfalls?

Thanks

Rutledge

USB port out is only to the storage drive.

Doesn't send camera out.

Trying to use Ilink out to Thunderbolt connection but computer not recognizing an external camera. Ilink is enabled so should be sending video/audio down the line.

cameragod

I know with PC's you need a legacy driver to make the iLink work.
I don't have the camera at home the moment but I am sure I've used the USB to link it to the PC as a webcam.

Rutledge

Interesting.

Was thinking I had a driver issue.

Used hdmi out to adapter to Thunderbolt, know there is a/v going through that and computer doesn't see device.

Not sure the usb in will take both video and audio, salesman at Apple store said it wouldn't.

Here is what the manual says about the USB out
"Used to put this camcorder into USB connection
mode and use it as an external storage device for
a computer. When a computer without
ExpressCard slot is connected to this connector,
every memory card inserted in the camcorder is
recognized as a drive for that computer."

Should have bid this with an IT person included.

Any idea about the driver? Checked Sony's download site and
didn't see it.

svp

I tinkered with Google Hangout before my YouTube account was approved for Live streaming. At the time, if your YouTube account wasn't approved for Live streaming, Google Hangout was the only way to Live stream on your YouTube channel. I only found two ways to get Google Hangouts to recognize an external camera. The first way was using a HDV camera and connecting the camera via FireWire. This allowed for SD or HD streaming. The only way I was able to connect a camera that didn't have FireWire was using a cheap Video2PC converter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/626680-REG

You will only be able to stream in SD with this converter.

I only did this a few times and it was only personal use. Once I started using YouTube LIVE I never tried Hangout again.

Hope this helps.

Rutledge

Shouldn't need that kind of converter, signal is already digital and the Ilink connection is firewire.

Know it can be done, have seen some professional looking Hangouts. Clearly is designed to use computer camera and that's easy as can be.

If I can get the computer to recognize external camera I'm halfway there.

Also, the video out of the Ilink is hdv.

cameragod

Win7 comes with the legacy driver you just need to select it.
With the USB, from memory when you plug it in you get a prompt in the viewfinder asking if you want to connect it, when I select no win7 see's it as a camera device, I don't know how good the quality is and have never tried it with sound.

svp

Rutledge,

If your going HDV in via FireWire then it should recognize the camera. I have no idea what the problem is. Only explanation is your computer is missing a needed driver.

Rutledge

For anyone looking for info in the future; solution was to invest in Wirecast software and download sxs drivers from the Sony micro site.

Wirecast, btw, is pretty cool software. Basically is a switcher layout for web-casting.