Go Pro Hero HD Firmware Update

Posted on: http://www.goprocamera.com/support/hdheroupdate.php
--------
The new firmware for the HD HERO camera is available! This update provides the following new features for your HD HERO:

• • Upside Down Mode: save videos and photos right-side up when the camera is mounted upside down• • One Button Mode: press power button to turn the camera on, and video/photo recording starts automatically
• • PAL Setting: record video in 25 or 50 frames per second
• • Live Feed: transmit live video signal out from the camera for broadcast or viewing on an external TV To update your GoPro HD HERO with this firmware, click hereNew GoPro AccessoriesDo more with the new firmware features; pre-order these new GoPro accessories:

• HD Wrist Housing — original, patented GoPro wrist mount now available for HD HERO; use with one button mode for optimal convenience
• Helmet Front Mount — low-profile front mount for helmets; use with Upside Down Mode for self-portrait shots during activities• HD Skeleton Housing — protective housing with vented sides allows plugging in cables for live video feeds and battery charging while recording

NOTE: this firmware is ONLY for the HD HERO camera. Firmware is NOT compatible with older standard definition cameras, or any cameras yet to be released.

adam

The upside down thing is big. I had a load of trouble mounting one in a state trooper's vehicle because of the space limitations. Upside down would have made it a snap.

Chugach3DGuy

I really like the live feed ability to hook up a little monitor so you can actually see exactly what will be in the frame.

I don't understand why the upside down mode is such a big deal. I had to mount one of these things upside down once, and all I had to do to fix it was flip it over in post. It was literally one click-n-drag.

zac love

I don't understand why the upside down mode is such a big deal.
I just think that "fix it in post" should be used as little as possible. Anything I can do in the field with ease, I'd rather do in the field.

I can flip things in my NLE, but then I'm guessing I'm going to have more rendering to do before I finish, which could add a few seconds or a few hours depending on the project.

Though I don't have one of these, if I had to mount it up-side-down w/o the firmware upgrade I'm sure I'd do w/o hesitation it & fix it in post.

SimonW

My other thought, given that there is a live feed now, is whether there is any good way to take that HD output from component and record the picture at a much higher quality than the in built compression system.

zac love

My other thought, given that there is a live feed now, is whether there is any good way to take that HD output from component and record the picture at a much higher quality than the in built compression system.
Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?

Any external recorder would at least double the size. $300 camera + $3,000 Nano Flash is no longer a cheap disposable camera.

I thought the appeal was largely it was a great little camera that should survive torture, but if it doesn't... it was cheap!

Still if you have a use for it, then it is the right tool. Do you have anything in mind?

shootist

PRO user
Anyone else having issues with installing the firmware?
Mine won't take?
+1 on what marstaton said.

I watched the video for a demo. er....not complete.

The pdf is straightforward. Make sure you hold the shutter down.
No problems for me once I read the pdf.

SimonW

Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?

Still if you have a use for it, then it is the right tool. Do you have anything in mind?
Depends on the recorder. If a way to seal it could be made, the GoPro on the front of a kayak with the recorder in the hull would be one use. In a rally car the camera still needs to be very compact and easily mounted to a roll cage etc, and a separate recorder could be mounted more conveniently elsewhere.

Even better would be for GoPro to simply increase the bitrate of the camera. I'm not sure why they have made it so low.

adam

Wouldn't a higher bit rate jack the size of the file up and require more substantial circuitry (on the way to the SD card)?

Does the upgrade work on the HD Hero 960? Hoping so.

justFRED.ca

Streaming ON

Upgrade went smoothly here. Live stream is cool, but you have to remove the plastic waterproof case to get at the a/v ports. Meanwhile, the tripod mount is on the case.

Where's my McGyver tape?

Cheers,
George

SimonW

Wouldn't a higher bit rate jack the size of the file up and require more substantial circuitry (on the way to the SD card)?[/quote
Don't see any reason why. They seem to be using the AVC format so they should very easily be able to go to 24Mb/s. Yes this would cut down the amount of footage recordable on a card, but if there were selectable bitrates this wouldn't be an issue. The GoPro footage gets killed when there is a lot happening, such as mounted on the front of a kayak in whitewater.

The GoPro HD Hero has some good possibilities if the company took advantage. Higher bitrates for one thing. But because the lens itself is easily replacable it might also be cool to have some different ones available, for example an extreme wide fisheye.