Getting television news gear in and out of Mexico?

dhart

Anyone done it? I'm told I need an "Equipment Visa" issued by the Mexican consulate. Going down for the CMP6 in Cancun (should be a ton of television crews from around the world). If I'm on a television news crew do I need a work visa?

tarzan

I don't know about an equipment visa, but you do need a work visa. However, you should get a letter from your news director, with a list of your equipment attached, and have that letter notarized by the consulate.

Also, make sure you show your equipment to Homeland Security before going, and fill out whatever papers you need to fill out with them. That's to avoid having problems getting back into the U.S.A. with the gear.

Another very important thing. Make sure your passport is up to date and not expired, or even close to expiration. One time I got screwed on that. I was assigned to to shoot a series in Mexico, and I got all my stuff in order with the Consulate, and my passport was still good for another 2 months or so, so I figured I'd be okay. Then I found that in order to get the work visa, I needed to have a passport that was still good for another year beyond the time of my trip. It was too late to renew at that time. My station had to make last minute changes in plane reservations to send another photog whose passport was up to date.