Gear Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

<Got Gear?>

What market are you in that you are still sharing gear? How many photogs for how many cameras?

2000lux

We're in market 27 and we share most of the gear. The chief and assistant chief take their gear home. Then we have four sets of assinged gear. The photogs who have assinged gear use it on the shifts that they are in. Otherwise it's up for grabs. There are also two sets of old SP gear that gets used when all the other grear is out. We do just one 10 PM news cast a day so they say we don't have the budget for more assinged gear.

-Brian

A Step Above Productions

We all have assinged gear. I am lucky, I'm in the bureau so not only do I have my own gear and SUV I get to take it hame and no one ever uses it. This is the same for my Chief and three other bureau Photogs.

The rest of the guys all have assinged gear and news cars. No one uses their grear unless we are down gear or we have a freelancer in. They do however share the cars.

LenzCzAll

Market 38, 12 photogs each photog has his own gear, we have 3 guys that take car and gear home. It helps with breakage a lot!! If your the only one using the gear and it's broke, well, guess who broke it. We have found that people take better care of the gear knowing that their responsible for it. Each photog has a car assigned to them aswell. Sports has their own camera, however, sometimes when two sports guys are out, they will take another photogs camera.
In other words, we are VERY lucky that we don't have to share. I've been there and done that.

soonershooter

Market 46
10 Photogs.
All have assigned take-home gear and vehicles.

David Renner
WFMY-TV
Greensboro, NC

P.S. We do 5 newscasts for a total of 5 hours of news programming a day.

photogguy

Mid-60's, and I'm the only one who has to share his gear, with the early morning reporter (he comes in at 330am) when there is breaking news, or when they need another shooter 'til I come in at 230pm.

It's very irritating to come back and find my gear in disarry. Even worse, I'm going on vacation for a week and a half beginning Thursday. A reporter will be doing some one-man-banding aboard a sailing ship, using my gear. I can't wait to see what shape me gear will be in when I get back.

Sportsguy

Market 47
17 Photogs, 21 cameras

Even the two PT guys get their own set of gear.
Only two guys take gear home, though.

Each bureau has a spare and we have two spares at the station.

W

<WHIZkid>

Maket 202. All 3 shooters have an assighned gear, and the sprts dpt. has a camera. If a reporter "one person bands" it, or sports needs an extra unit, they barrow the gear of the photog that's off today...

D

<Dethstryke>

Market #170 with 5 photogs, 3 cameras, and gear sets... Everybody uses everybody elses stuff it is so horrible... you bring something back to engineering that is broken and it is automatically you who broke it. Our chief photog will bring back blue video once in awhile, and one of the sports guys is now in charge of critiquing the photographers as an excuse to raise his salary. The chief photog sits there and lets it all happen... he misses slot and has the most negative attitude I have ever seen. My sister makes more money than I do working at a hot dog stand. We have one good solid tripod, the other two are just crap and the leg locks and heads are just stripped out... You have to try mounting the camera to the tripod like 10 times before it will lock in. Probably a lot more than you wanted to hear but yes we share gear, yes it is a bad idea. I am getting out of here as soon as I can.

shootist

PRO user
i think it's what you get when your butt's too close to the flame. :D

and unfortunately that sounds like just what's happening to a few of these guys.

btw...

market 21
21 f/t and 3 p/t shooters. all with own gear.
10 have take-home vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.