Gas Pumpin

Lensmith

Some thoughts. ;)

Boy, you like that wide angle don't you! Lots of shots with distorted edges! If you were shooting so much in a confined space I'd understand...but you were outside! Using mics and everything! You didn't need it but you used it anyway. It got a little distracting...to me...but honestly, that's nit picking.

Very pretty story. Great editing. Very nice sequencing/shooting on the gas pump "innards". Good sound, both interviews and nats. It flowed!

OK...only one negative from me. The opening shot was very weak. It didn't say anything about the story other than being a very generic shot of some downtown. No sign that told me where you were. Just that you used a tripod and didn't really care about what was in the frame. ;) Make your shots mean something to the viewer. Just because it's steady doesn't mean it's always good.

Great job on the story and working with the reporter to make something worth watching!

NEWSSHOOTER3

Agreed

I couldn't agree more about the opening shot. It was the last thing I got, with time running out. I shot that at 1:30, with over an hour drive back to the city, nearly an hour ingest, for a 4 o'clock show. I knew I didn't have the "town feel" shot I needed, but had to jet. Meaning, maybe we should have changed the way we opened, but we did not...

And, I'll admit, I've been getting carried away w/ the fish eye lately, but addiction is a terrible disease...! :eek:

Lensmith

I too have been through the wide-eye addiction phase. Lucky for both of us...it ends and we end up balancing everything out.

Good job on the story.

The best part for me was seeing a story with a consistent level of quality from beginning to end. ;)

bluffton

Thank You

;)I'm delighted to see a different approach to the "Gas Price" story. It really gave me a reason to consider pushing forward in the Biz.

:pHowever, I feel it was almost too feature like for me. But, you saw my story here. Anyway, it was nice to hear the natural sounds and see the sequencing.

:(Wide angle is nice if you have one (I don't) but I did feel as if you forced it a bit, but I think you used it well (I'm probably jealous).

:DGreat story, good editing, nice pictures. Outstanding effort, and you included the reporter in a natural way. So many small victories used I would say it's surely something to call a great day.

-Anthony Mirones

redcoat

The wide angle lens didn't really distract me, but it did make me jealous. I appreciated the sequencing and the closeups during the pump adjustment.

There was one jump cut that stood out to me when the owner says "in 1978 silver went up." You did a wide angle tilt up shot of the gas station and then went to the owner standing at the gas pump that was in the prior shot.

I think an important part of the story was left out. Do customers care? Some people suck at math and probably couldn't even double their price. Does this piss people off? Do they prefer to go elsewhere instead?

AB

Solid all the way through.

I get Lensmith's point about the open. Yes it could have been better, but it wasn't horrible. Good nit-picking point though.

One thing I liked is in this day and age where standups are mandatory, you found a way to work in the reporter in the natural way. Some people may not like seeing the reporter asking the question but I thought it was well done and a nice moment.

You may have been live with an intro and tag as well, but if this was a straight pkg, then I really liked that approach.

Baltimore's Finest Fotog

Unique take on an overdone topic. It was refreshing.

Only thing I'll add is I felt like there were some awkward pauses in the piece. I don't mind some silence in a story, but it has to call for it. To me it just seemed like you didn't tighten up some of your audio.

NEWSSHOOTER3

Busted

There was one jump cut that stood out to me when the owner says "in 1978 silver went up." You did a wide angle tilt up shot of the gas station and then went to the owner standing at the gas pump that was in the prior shot.
Yeah, you got me on that one... :rolleyes:

javary

it was nice to see a gas story not rely on pained mos interviews with inarticulate consumers. very interesting to see the innerworkings of an old-school gas pump.

i'd have to agree with some others on the opening shot... but armchair quarterbacking aside i feel it's a well-told story...

PhotoGino

Very good... I barely noticed the track and at times was confusing it for a photo essay. Sign of very strong storytelling and teamwork! I thought you could've used a super wide shot when the reporter said "this CORNER gas station"-- show the corner. Maybe a couple quick MOS bytes from loyal customers that like the old tyme feel of the place.

All around great story to watch... creative day-of general news keeps us motivated!