Flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Hi,

I am getting involved in a situation where I might need to fly to a location to do a shoot. I'm sure many have done this before--what procedures should I understand for when I go to make a checklist regarding this sort of task?

I've only flown once before hahaha (and that was just for vacation). Questions I have are is it possible to board with your camera? I don't want something like that to go into cargo and get bounced around--esp. with valuable glass pieces for the matte box located in outer pockets. Also, the camera is so large that it only fits in the largest Porta Brace Hiker Backpack style case; would that be a problem? I've heard of airlines being nice and giving individuals an extra seat for such things but that was pre-9/11. Any advice/experience-related stories would be awesome! Thanks!

- Steve

Tippster

The Fly on the Wall
Originally posted by Steve:
...Questions I have are is it possible to board with your camera? I don't want something like that to go into cargo and get bounced around--esp. with valuable glass pieces for the matte box located in outer pockets. Also, the camera is so large that it only fits in the largest Porta Brace Hiker Backpack style case; would that be a problem? I've heard of airlines being nice and giving individuals an extra seat for such things but that was pre-9/11. Any advice/experience-related stories would be awesome! Thanks!

- Steve
Unless the seat next to you is empty, or you PAY FOR IT, the airline will not be giving away anything to you. Besides, they won't let you leave it there during takeoff & landing anyway - it has to be in the overhead or under the seat in front of you.

I've flown with my gear more often than I can remember - the last time being last Saturday. I always put my camera in the overhead bin WITHOUT being in a bag. I simply move the viewfinder in so it's tight to the camera body, then place the camera tape-door side down in the bin with a few pillows under the lens. My backpack goes in front of the lens, and my jacket covers the whole thing. I have never - not ever, had a problem using this method.

If you're unwilling to take the camera out of its bag, and it doesn't fit in the overhead bin, ask the stewardess to place it on the floor in the first class closet. They hate doing that, though.

I have had pretty decent luck pre-boarding with my camera. I tell them I need to ensure that it will fit in the overhead. The only company that would not accomodate me is Delta, but they suck anyway (see a previous thread.)

The only time you should check your camera is if it's in an armored shipping case.

Mike

DO NOT let you camera out of your sight for 1 second...do not! Beware of distractions, be it indadvertant or intentional.

I always fly with my 600 in a Portabrace bag and have never had any problems placing it in the overhead. If you are on a smaller comuter plane, simply remove the camera from the case, adjust the viewfinder to the center position and pad the camera well in the overhead.

Good Luck.

And do NOT let your camera out of your sight.

Best,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.