First Week back after a two year break from news.

Latin Lens

This looks like a very small market(?)....and its not your fault but this is a very poor TV story. Reporter needed to have done a better job of writing it....and you needed to have done a little bit better job shooting it.

There are no nats, and its not to say it warranted nat breaks...but no nats or really low ones under track....dead sound is unacceptable. Be mindful of that. Nats under track help take a person's sense of hearing to the scene. You need to stimulate the eyes (video) and the ears (audio) when dealing with TV.

Your shot selection was okay...it was either wide or medium....so get more tight shots. Get close to the action. So you can shoot your sequence properly.

Reporter standup was weak. She was walking to walk and she ended up in the shade after starting in sun....you should have noticed that and made the correction.

I liked some of the movement you did but this story didn't need all of the dissolves. It actually made the piece move slower in my book...but again the writing was poor and had alot to do with that as well.

I don't know how much experience you had before leaving news but if you had any more than a couple years then help your reporters. Help them write...help them in the field. Its a team effort but lend a guiding hand...because they really could use the help.

Last edited:

MatttEaly

Thanks very much for your advice!! I'm in a market 156, so yeah it's pretty small,lol. I was in news about two years before taking a break. I definitely see what you mean about the Nat sound. I'll work on that. I really appreciate you taking the time too look at my work. I'll post something more recent soon.

Latin Lens

Matt...my advice is to focus and work on the small things because they make the biggest differance in the world.

I learned 4 years into my career to fade in and fade out nat sound throughout a piece....and the differance in sound flow alone made me think of why I never had done that or noticed that before and its such a simple thing to do but it has a major impact especially when you have a story that is filled with nat oppurtunities.

Your shots were well composed and steady....just get more variation so you have more to work with when editing. Keep trying...its the only way you'll learn and get better.

MatttEaly

That's really good advice. One problem is that at my station the Reporters usually edit the packages, not saying that they are bad or anything. I'm trying to get it to where I can do more of the editing myself.