FCC media regulations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo bros and sisters... what do you think of the new media ownership laws going through the FCC right now? Do you think it will spell doom for our industry or help it out? When comparing it to the radio side i become scared because of what clear channel has done to consoldate all their tallent to a few studios and laid off the rest. Do you think the same thing will happen in the TV world and TV news? Example...Sinclair brodcasting is centralizing all its newscast from one Studio in Maryland. It is working so far...local stations produce 10 min segement news casts then switch over to the national feed. If they own more stations they may lay off more people and dowsize news operations across the nation. Providing more money for the shareholders but maybe producing less quality of a product at a local level. I think the station emploies will suffer because of a lack of local control of the product and so will the viewers. Huge coporatations care about the bottom line. Just my ramblings about the TV world. I think the new fcc decision will be a huge mistake because it will cause companies to grow to huge and will not return station revenue back to the station to make it better...obviously the money will go to the shareholders. Not a good idea for the little guy, whom the station is also responsible for providing public service in exchange for a free broadcasting license.

satop

the fcc has become a joke. they don't have the manpower to enforce any of their regulations, so their solution is to get rid of the regulations, and after monday it will just get worse. local stations now don't have local master control anymore, some like sinclair don't even have real local news anymore. what next? and what does the fcc do? nothing!

W

<WELL>

You can thank the "BUSH" administration for that !!!!!!

T

<trouble>

The airwaves belong to the public. These big companies do not pay one darn cent to the US government to use the airwaves for broadcasting.
Whatever happened to the public interest, convienience and neccessity? The problem goes back futher than Pres. Bush. Under Reagan, FCC Chairman Mark Fowler led this deregulation, letting the "marketplace" determine things. Brace yourselves! If we have another 4 years of Bush and a Republican Congress we're screwed in many more ways than this. Flame away...but you know I'm right.

S

<sinclair employee>

Just for the record, Sinclair has NEVER cared about true journalism. For example, all Sinclair stations now have to air one to one and a half editorials from Sinclair broadcast central by a guy named Mark Hymen (yes, Hymen. You would think that he would change his name for television, but not so) called "The Point." This guy is SO CONSERVATIVE that it makes me ill, not to mention that he spoke out in favor of the courts ruling on cameras in the courtroom (and he works for a media corporation?). The other notorious thing he said was calling the French "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" on-air. So much for any appearance of unbias journalism. Sinclair also makes their stations run certain packages done by other stations in their newscast. I'm at a station that hasn't gone to the NewsCentral system yet, and I'm hoping it doesn't happen anytime soon. My point is that Sinclair already is controlling what is going on their stations air to get whatever point it is they want to get across. Give it time, and when Sinclair owns more stations, they'll have even more influence than they already do. This is what happens when money becomes more important than journalism. Personally, I think it's ridiculous.

That's the point, go to newscentral.tv and tell me what you think (for those of you who know what I'm talking about).

Also, for those of you who care and are looking for a job and don't know, IF YOU HAVE THE CHANCE TO WORK FOR ANY SINCLAIR STATION, DON'T. RUN LIKE YOUR HEAD'S ON FIRE. Pay is horrible, respect is non-existant and however much money the newscast makes is always just short of being enough to keep the corporate big-wigs from cutting people.

Fisher

You have got to love how the Bush Administration and the Republican Agenda actually have the nerve to say that this kind of deregulation will mean more jobs and help stimulate the economy. When in reality all it means is the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Local journalism will suffer thanks to the FCC's decision. Thanks GW!

God bless Exxon, McDonalds, GE, and TimeWarner!!! ... oops I mean God bless America.

F

<Federal Censorship Crap>

Don't give all the blame to Bushmeister. I don't like "Dumbya" one bit, but some blame for Michael Powpow, the commissioner has to go to the former prez. This is taken from the FCC website.

"Michael K. Powell is Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission. He was sworn in as a member of the Commission on November 3, 1997. He was designated Chairman by President Bush on January 22, 2001.

Mr. Powell, a Republican, was nominated by President William J. Clinton on July 31, 1997, and confirmed by the United States Senate on October 28, 1997."

Y

<Yogi>

Spell DOOM...without a doubt. The freakin' media is going to be and probably is already, ONE big, cash hungry, money grubbing, share holder - kiss a@#, freakin corporation(sp). It sucks. Journalism is out the window and share holders and squed (sp) storytelling is in.
It breaks my heart. Thank GOD for the internet. But hey, in a few years it will be regualted to the be-jesus(sp) and then my friends to get the real story well have to go underground.
I don't know. America and the rest of the "so-called" free world breaks my heart everyday. But every now and then the universe surprises me. So who knows what will happen. That's just my two cents. Peace my Brothers and Sisters. :(

b-roll

Administrator
Staff member
I'm actually covering the FCC hearing tomorrow. It's an early shoot, but I'm willing to give up a few hours of sleep to see how this one plays out. It will be interesting.

I'll try to give an update on Monday.

kev

M

<Mi3ke>

Don't give all the blame to Bushmeister. I don't like "Dumbya" one bit, but some blame for Michael Powpow, the commissioner has to go to the former prez. This is taken from the FCC website.>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, Clinton did put him on the board, but the make up of the FCC board requires that 2 members be from the party not in the White House. So Bill had to put someone from the GOP there.

Cheers, Mi3ke

T

<Tom Petty>

I was listening to the latest Tom Petty CD, The Last DJ. The title track really sums it up with such lyrics as, "There goes to the last dj, who plays what he wants to play, says what he wants to say. There goes your freedom of choice, there goes the last human voice."

Status
Not open for further replies.