Fav. Everyday techniques?

DemiG

Just wondering what peoples "everyday story" favorite techniques are. Obviously people use simple transitions, but i wonder if anyone takes (or has) the time to use a pip or something.

I know some people at my station sometimes use a whiteout for a transition, but its basically just simple edits.

How about any of you?

Chuxty

Editing wise I like to use video transitions. Like a car passing in front of the camera, a person crossing the camera, or a piece of paper passing fast in front of the camera.

Chuxty

Editing wise I like to use video transitions. Like a car passing in front of the camera, a person crossing the camera, or a piece of paper passing fast in front of the camera.

shootist

PRO user
the other day we became aware of some developments in the pre-trial motions of a high-profile murder case in our area.

it was 5:55 and they wanted something in the first block of the 6.

the new info came from documents found through the court system online.

someone pulled up generic file video and they were just gonna do a vo. that was done so i was free to try something a little more elaborate.

i printed the document....threw it on the desk...handheld a coupla shots just good enough for a freeze on a cover page and on key terms....like "previous murder attempt" "mosque" "urged to try again".

i told the reporter to track the vo she had written.

put the p2 card in a reader and opened a bin with file video that i had saved.

a little file walkover to set the history of the story and then...on avid newscutter...

froze the key pages and using an "everyday" technique...i used the "resize" effect to produce very slow zooms into key words.
(100% first keyframe....114% last).

3D page turns between the pages of the document dressed it up.

"overwrote" the vo that was sent to the server....reporter was running up to the studio...i nextel her that the pkg is done. call the control room to tell them it's a pkg not a vo. it's 6:08 and it airs at 6:10.

anyway....simple efx can dress up simple pieces.