Does anyone outside of local news shoot and air in 16x9 standard def?

I work for a governent agency. I only have HDTV at home. I was wondering if anyone out there in the network world shoots 16x9 standard def. for any of their productions, or has it all migrated to HD?

very rarely I will get a client who will specify standard def but I am maybe talking once in two years and that is including corporate, advert, PR and other types of stuff. The only local news outfits that are still on standard def are those who didn't have the money to upgrade equipment or are still mid process.. even there most are acquiring in hd and down converting before it hits the switcher or when they export from the edit.

Necktie Boy

If you mean you shoot for a local government(city or county), playback is still SD. Cable companies don't really plan to go HD for local govenrments.

At the last city my buddy worked, they shot HD and played out letterbox.
It depends how much money the agency has/wants to spend.

untrained eyes

I ahoot with a Panasonic AJ-SDX900. I use 30p. I usually deliver on DVD. Most of my clients are highway engineers within our agency so since it's shot in 16x9, they think it's HD. I'm just trying to convince our brass that I need something other than the rocket launcher that is the Panny 900. The camera takes a gorgeous picture for 2005 SD, but if it breaks it won't be worth trying to find an engineer to fix it. Occasionally I'm called upon to shoot with the PBS affiliate, since I'm a state employee. They use hanheld fixed lens Panny
P2's. I'm not crazy about those (we used those at my last news job and the audio inputs were constantly breaking.)

svp

I still get a lot of work where the final product is a fully produced DVD, which of course is SD. Those clients do want 16x9 but want DVD's. I still shoot everything in HD in case they come back later wanting it in HD, which sometimes happens. A few cable channels will still only accept 16x9 SD those obscure channels nobody really watches.

I still get a lot of work where the final product is a fully produced DVD, which of course is SD. Those clients do want 16x9 but want DVD's. I still shoot everything in HD in case they come back later wanting it in HD, which sometimes happens. A few cable channels will still only accept 16x9 SD those obscure channels nobody really watches.
That got me to thinking legacy workflow stuff. I do run into hotel crews shooting stuff for conventions and the like to go on the overhead displays and that is typically a D50 standard def setup. My guess is that the hd projectors have not really made it into the market yet so there is no point in upgrading for that type of work.

Teddy

Not shocking that the wedding market isn't sophisticated enough to differentiate between 16x9 an HD.

Land Rover

There may be some very small markets that are still SD but with the cost of gear I’m pretty sure that if there are any they won’t last long.

The government channel I’m with has been doing 16:9 SD since 2007. A Few years ago we started shooting everything in HD where in the past it had just been special projects. Since we aren’t provided HD cable channels we have to down convert everything in a FS2 before it hits the terminal gear for distribution to the encoders.

There are some government channels that are HD, Seattle comes to mind, but it has to be negotiated into the contract when its renewed.