Do ANY professional sports franchises still feed the media for free?

tarzan

When I was first starting out in the business 25 years ago, after my first time shooting game highlights of our local minor league baseball team, the sports anchor gave me a constructive critique of my shooting. Then he asked me if I'd gotten my free hot dogs and soda there, and I said no. He was like "WHAT!" At the time, I didn't know they fed all the working media for free at the games. He said to me, "one important thing to remember about this business was that there's no such thing as a free lunch -except in sports."

Later, when I worked in Dallas, both the Texas Rangers and the Dallas Cowboys fed us whenever we were working the games, whether it was sidelines or postgame or whatever. No charge, just sign in and show your media game credentials at the cafeteria.

If I remember correctly, the same was true of most pro sports franchises in Pittsburgh. We'd come to cover practice, do post-practice interviews, and then eat in the same cafeteria as the players at the practice facility -free of charge.
Steelers spring training facility, lunch was on them, free of charge.

Now, here in Phoenix, if I cover Cardinals practice, during the post-practice locker room media availability, they have a buffet right there in the locker room -for the players, who stuff their faces after they get out of the shower, but there's nothing offered to us in the media. When I cover the Diamondbacks, there's a cafeteria on the press level, but we all have to pay for the food there. $9.00 for a full buffet, or $5.00 if you want just a salad. I mean the price isn't horrible, it could be a whole lot worse. And I can understand if other types of business and industry have had to cut corners in today's economy, but major league sports? As I mentioned at the beginning of my post, my first experience with being fed for free by a sports franchise was with a minor league team.

I don't know, maybe it's just here in Phoenix that this happens. After all, I've been in this market for 12 years now, so I haven't gotten to see first hand what the policies are in other markets regarding pro sports teams feeding the media. Is it a sign of the times, or is it just the market that I'm in? Not that I would move to another market just because of that, I'm just curious.

photoguy603

The minor leagues in my area still do. You can get or hot dogs and soda in the press box (you grill it yourself) or you can go downstairs below the seats and the have a room with catered food, no charge for anything.

satpimp

I remember the days in Pittsburgh when the Rooney spread was always known as generous and tasty. The Penguins and the Pirates followed suit, but them Stillers would feed youns right! It's less and less so.

Down here the Dolphins have brought back the meals and improved the fare. Its helped a lot with what had been frosty media relations since the Saban regime.

Many teams are improving the grub but charging.

We try to grill at big events. The other locals know to bring brats and beverages.

Run&Gun

In my market, the Carolina Panthers(NFL) and Charlotte Hornets(NBA) still feed the media for 'free'. The last time I was in Atlanta to cover the Falcons('13 or '14), they did, too, but their food sucked and they locked the drinks up during the game, too(not that there were many left anyway). At NASCAR races, the media centers feed you, as well. But it's not half as good as our catering in the TV compound.

tarzan

... but them Stillers would feed youns right!
Haha, you almost got the accent down right: It's "Stiwwers", not "Stillers". Native Pittsburghers often pronounce the letter "L" like a "W," almost like an Elmer Fudd thing going on. They never understood why I made fun of their accent so much. Yeah, them Stiwwers are goin' ta' da Superboww......

code20photog

Dodgers it's $10 for the pre-game meal, worth every penny, they have a world class chef, and then free hot dogs later in the game.

Necktie Boy

Back in the good ole days, free beer at the press box. I was on the field. No beer for me!
I would get lucky and get some popcorn. LOL

Run&Gun

Back in the good ole days, free beer at the press box. I was on the field. No beer for me!
I would get lucky and get some popcorn. LOL
The Hornets used to have beer in the press conference area after the games and I believe they still do(maybe in the press room or eating area, now). I only covered the season opener this season and they had some out then...

satpimp

Haha, you almost got the accent down right: It's "Stiwwers", not "Stillers". Native Pittsburghers often pronounce the letter "L" like a "W," almost like an Elmer Fudd thing going on. They never understood why I made fun of their accent so much. Yeah, them Stiwwers are goin' ta' da Superboww......
Ha Ha even when you "mispell" it I still can't hear the drawled W. I'm still afflicted by a stunted L accent after many years.

I miss NBA playoffs. They served beer after games and we had epic picnics out back. Fun times in Wade County Florida when the pretty girlfriend still played at the beach.