Critique Please!

ferlonjr

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I think I posted this in the wrong forum before. Apologies! I have been a news photographer for 4 months now and am looking to improve. I believe my shooting is mediocre if that and I can not stand that at all. Please give honest critique and advice if you can! I don't mind harshness. Thanks so much in advance everyone!

here is a reel i put together for this purpose, I'm not looking to send it out but just looking for an idea of how my shooting is so far... the fire pkg was one man banded and that is why the interviews weren't composed that well, if that is a valid excuse... but as they say no excuses, just results! :D

here it is: http://vimeo.com/20636444

-Ferlon

Latin Lens

Ferlon...welcome...and for shooting 4 months you are not doing too badly. Your standups have creativity, which I like. Your live shots seem a little off...like you're shooting up a little. Raise your tripod so its eye level with your reporter for more technically sound composition. If you're worried about background...then going further away from the background will help you get it in better at a normal horizontal perspective.

Your overall edited stories show you are shooting at only 4 months. Your choice of interview locations is weak...try and find better ones...vary them up so they aren't the same composition so it adds variety to the package. Learn to use your tripod. Better stable shots not only will make your packages look "cleaner" but you will find a wide variety of shots opening up to and it'll allow for creativity if you can get stable shots. Watch your axis breakage (Pam Long soundbite to track)... I see you breaking the 180 degree rule or editing jumpcuts. Be mindful of that.

Overall...you have a good foundation but there's lots to improve on. You can always find good critiques here. Keep posting so we can check your progress.

ferlonjr

thanks for the great advice!

Thanks so much Latin Lens for your response and critique, I greatly appreciate it! I see what you mean about my live shots, I never noticed that before, but my tripod usually is a little lower than my reporters eye level, thanks for that! Also, with my pkgs I agree with what you're saying, I'm glad you responded because now while I'm shooting I'll use the tripod more and find better backgrounds and more creative interviewing styles. Thanks again, and I will be posting more vids as I progress!!!