Cops wearing Cameras

FTOJRLST

I was going to stick this in one of the threads about Cops not wanting to be video'd but I think a new thread is needed....

How about THIS for a twist on police being video recorded.

The Greensboro, NC Police Department is putting cameras ON officers.

The cameras are about the size of a bluetooth earpiece, are fitted to the hat, and record EVERYTHING.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/05/01/article/officers_try_out_cameras_fitted_to_headbands_caps#nrcAnc_Middle2_Jump

I especially like the last paragraph of the linked article....

An officer likely will be more polite and more descriptive when giving commands. The citizen likely will be more polite and obey the officer.
Armstrong said the devices could prevent people from committing crimes. “I think everybody is nicer when the camera is on.”

FTOJRLST

The real question is, are police exempt from laws requiring prior consent to being (audio) taped?
That's a state to state issue....not a problem in NC. One Party State. Anyone can (disclaimer - for the most part) record anyone else w/out permission.

Alx

“I think everybody is nicer when the camera is on.”

Someone that doesn't watch MTV.

Brock Samson

Often dash cam videos with cops doing something grossly inappropriate tend to "disappear" before they can see the light of a court room. I'm sure there will be a fair amount of that going on with these videos as well.

As far as the Union resisting it, well, why would they? Unless they were doing something wrong, that is.