Chimera/softbox or Umbrella?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluesCam

Chimera for sure. Photoflex makes similar units for less $$ but not quite as nice as Chimera IMHO.

Chimera, egg crate, bounce card and small back light. Add a micro ellipse if you want. Easy traveling.

egon

Because I don't have a softbox in my kit, I use a Lowel Prolight with a 125 watt bulb shot through a Totabrella. Most of the time, the spill is not a factor for news-type shooting.

Just my two cents if you have to keep things on the cheap.

queen of blue

Originally posted by Terry E. Toller:
Once the image is on tape, it is there forever. You have to live with it...
OK, I'm SOOOOOOO stealing that for my quote. Terry, I've never heard it put quite that way before but I slapped my forehead and exclaimed "By George he's right!"

quicklad

Chimera for sure - much more control (with an eggcrate especially).

1k for a back light!! I use a pepper 100 with scrims AND diffusion.

The other problem with throwing a ton of light around is...
stopping down yur lens more, creating more depth of field, ergo making your backgrund sharper, which is not desirable for many (though not all ) interviews.

In my kit (freelance only) an Arri 1k open face (almost neveer used anymore), 2 Tweenie 650's (one is the key into a samll chimera - the other back up), an Arri 300 fresnel - BG light, 2 Pepper 100's (w/200w bulbs) for hair/kicker/accent lights.

And to much grip gear to count...

E

S

<senior citizen cameraman>

I have to go with quicklad.

I've mentioned my 'run-and-gun' kit before on this site. I tend to use this all the time - and rarely take my Arri's out anymore.

My lightweight tungsten interview/live shot kit is:

1 x Lowell Rifa 44 (super fast pop-up chimera)
3 x Dedo's
Couple of reflectors (great for fill with Rifa)
Collapsible Manfrotto scrim & flag set

Couple of reasons - it's LIGHTWEIGHT (my back thanks me), + cameras are so light sensitive these days that I find you rarely need 650w's anymore.

And while Dedo's aren't cheap, they are incredibly durable & long-lasting. Plus, they come with gel sets and cookies.

I think they pay for themselves with the low weight alone.

And if you don't think so now, wait till you reach 65.......

Status
Not open for further replies.